Monday, July 12, 2010

I Can Sleep When I'm Dead (two years and ticking)

I didn't make it until 3:00 AM today. My daughter is still awake reading and I am getting up. I have a lot going through my mind and sleep isn't one of them. The biggest sleep distraction is baseball...that's not a euphemism or a tool to keep my mind occupied for any reason (you know, "thinking about baseball..."). We start the play-offs tonight and the boys have worked really hard and improved a great deal and I would love to see them do well. There are 19 teams in our league and we play some REALLY good teams from surrounding cities and we finished 4th in our division. We have 14 players on the team and throughout the season I have played each player at least about half of each game but it is different in the play-offs. In the words of the league commissioner (for lack of a better title) "now, it's about winning." In my opinion, at ages 13 and 14, nothing in sports is ONLY about winning. I want to make sure not to demoralize these guys. They all have talent and I don't want to discourage any of them but I owe it to the rest of the team to play the guys that give us the greatest chance of winning. A lot of these guys are going to high school next year and I guess they need to get used to it. I did my time riding the pine in yute baseball before I came into my own and it was no big whoop. When I start getting paid I can be a major league butt-hole. So, that's where that term comes from.

Last night I grilled Tuna steaks and made guacamole for dinner. It was nice out so I sat on the patio eating while everyone else did their own things. It started to rain a bit but we have more umbrellas than Mary Poppins and her friends at a magic nanny convention on our patio so I sat under one of the patio umbrellas eating and messing with the laptop. The neighbors had to be looking out of their windows saying to themselves, "look at that poor uber-sexy Matt eating all alone practicing to be a hobo eating in the rain." In reality "I'm ugly as sin and smell like a skunk and I'm so ignorant that I couldn't drive nails into snow but I'm sorta easy to be around" so I don't know why no one would eat with me. (I had this in my notebook with quotation marks around it so I heard it somewhere and wrote it down but I didn't attribute it to anything or anyone but it fits here so I blogged it). And, incidentally, I am not uber-sexy I am hella-sexy.

When I was working the dog show this weekend (see yesterday's blog for details) they give us breaks after four hours. We get a free drink and a hot dog on our breaks. I did not eat my hot dog either day. Firstly, I am now a vegetarian (still) and secondly it seemed kind of disrespectful at a dog show to eat hot dogs. They should have renamed them cat steaks even hot cats though they don't sound too appetizing either but I bet the dogs wouldn't mind as much.

I got the excercise bike and treadmill downstairs yesterday. I had to have Sugar Momma help me because I don't really have any friends. Well, I have friends but most of them are you and you are far away but I know you would have helped me if you were closer or I had asked. I am not a person who really asks for help very often. I don't know why I am like that but I don't want to inconvenience anyone. I help people all the time and think nothing of it so I don't know what my issue is there. Actually, I did ask someone to help me with this twice last week and he promised both times (even giving me times that he would be here) and he never showed up or called. The ironic part was that I was helping him HUGE all week last week and I am sore (physically and mentally) now because of it. Oh well, it won't change me except I used to keep it inside and now I can blog it and let it go. What's that old saying..."If you dislike something blog it free. If it doesn't return you can forget about it or do an entire blogging expose' to rip it a new one and make it cry so you feel better." It goes something like that I think.

It's 2:00 AM now, only 15 1/2 hours until game-time and I am driving a moth outside of the window completely mental with the desk light on so I'd better get cracking on my line-up and batting order. If I work on it now maybe I can go back to sleep for a while before I have to get the excercise room (basement) together and mow the lawn...I gotta get "Hottie Health Club" open by winter. I just typed that name as it came to me now; it's a ridiculous name. I would never call it a "club."

If you're looking for something to do tonight come on out and watch us battle cross-town rival Dekalb White Sox (the only other Dekalb team left in the post-season) at Prather Park / Dekalb at 5:30. I will blog you tomorrow with great news about the game's outcome. Have the nicest Monday possible! Go Cardinals!!!

** clown umbrella stolen from a squirting flower at washingtonpost.com & help wanted photo dive-bombed from firedoglake.com **

No comments:

Post a Comment