Friday, July 2, 2010

Friends 'Til the End!

Last night was the drum corps show in Oswego. I saw a lot of old friends that I traipsed around the country with while we were yutes (what's a yute?) Sugar Momma was a great sport and I think she actually had a good time until she got cold later on. We put out sweatshirts/jackets in the car at intermission because it was still nice out but I guess that changed after intermission when it got cold. She seemed amazed that all of the people that we reunited were so nice and she was impressed by the show itself. If you want to see pictures...you can go the the Fox Valley Raiders Facebook fan page. It was at my old high school which is now about three times larger but the football stadium is still rinky dinky.

While we were there Sugar Momma turned to me and said "I think I have a bee in my bra." That's not something that you hear every day. There is a "b" in bra so maybe I misunderstood and she was just showing off her spelling abilities or training for a spelling bee; we WERE at my old high school you know. She wanted me to know that Kaneland graduates are smart too I think.

We met for dinner before the show with several of my old chums (I thought "chums" made it sound more nostalgic and Little Rascally) my friend Kevin mentioned a quote that former Chicago Bear and legendary football coach Mike Ditka ("Da Coach") had made about World Cup Soccer. He said, "If God had intended for us to play soccer he wouldn't have given us arms." That's one of the best things about Da Coach; he always says what's on his mind and doesn't care that 95% of the world (not based on anything, just a number I pulled out because it sounds impressive) loves soccer. You get what you get...he's not trying to be someone he isn't; he is what he is and that's all that he is!

I think Sugar Momma and I are actually going to get to The Morton Arboretum today. It's still early so plans could change, as they often do. She likes to see the trees and such and try to catch bees in her brassiere and I like to be outside and to walk. It's her staycation so we'll do what she wants especially since her going last night probably wasn't on the top of her priority list but never one complaint. Where do the kids get the complaining from? I know it's me but I am getting better. I only complain about three or four times a day now. I think this blog helps because I can complain here and get it off of my chest. You are very kind for reading this blog and helping one of the greatest institutions of mankind...marriage. Or is that helping one of the greatest things that leads to institutions? Everything leads to something I guess. I know...you're thinking "I wish this rambling would lead to a point." Unfortunately your wish may not be granted since I am deep into the third quarter and there is no sign of a come-from-behind victory. You've hung in there this long you may as well finish reading now!

Time for a Hail Mary...I think the point of this blog (like I ever really, actually have one) is that friends and family and memories are what life is all about. Frank Capra said it in 1939 and it's still very true today even with all of our techological "advances." Actually, without technological advances (mainly the internet...)this reunion probably would not have taken place.

I will let some of my friends' Facebook comments close this blog...

"I just spent the evening with a ton of old friends. It was great to see you all again. I dare say, you'll make many friends throughout your life, but none can/will match the bond we all share!" - John R.

"I had a great time. You are rich when you have so many friends in your life." - "Ma" Meyer

"I just realized that on August 24th (my birthday and wedding anniversary) I will be fifty, married for 25 years...I will have been married to Cristine exactly half of my life! :D (they met in the drum corps and were literally childhood sweethearts that have become life-long companions...awesome) - Kevin D.

I will blog you again tomorrow morning before the continuation of the Matt Helser 2010 Reconnection Tour heads to Kansas City. If you see the tour bus rolling by flag us down and maybe you'll be a stop on the 2011 tour! Thanks for stopping by FRIEND!

2 comments:

  1. It was great to catch up with you again and to meet Jill. Have a safe trip to KC. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the work you do here Matt, and I LOVE your writing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete