Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This Blog Contains One of the Worst Words in History


Technician MIA
 Happy 1/11/11! It's 1:30 and no technician yet. In the time-window he could have been here I have: cleared snow from the driveway twice, done four loads of laundry from washing to folding, worked-out for two hours, emptied the dishwasher, made and ate my lunch and now I am sure I will get done blogging before he/she arrives. My friend Terri said that the tech will be here at 4:59PM and she is probably right. If the tech, for any reason, doesn't show today our intenet provider will change from Frontier Communications to AT&T (only $14.95/month I am told). If the signal from NIU were stronger I would just use there's forever. Maybe we should get a more powerful-signalled router and sell passwords to our neighbors.

Working out today I did an extra ten minutes on the bike and added weight to all of my arm work. I am going to regret it later but then, after that, I will be happy that I did it.

Tomorrow I work at 5:00 AM and I will probably work at least 12 hours. The same will go for Thursday, most likely. There is a farm show coming to town and last year it was very busy. Farmers aren't doing much right now in the frozen MIDDLE and the show is free. Come on out and check out the new combines and new pick-ups and the like.There are lots of freebies - tradeshow kinds of freebies.

I think we are going to find that the homeless guy with the "golden voice" is going to turn out to have a crazy scary past...there's something about him that I find odd and scary. Just a hunch...nothing to base that on other than all of the footage I have seen of him.

I am finally getting back to using my notebooks so some of what I am about to blog may be a little dated (a couple of days at the most) but I thought it was important at the time so it must still be, right?

Huck and Jim Livin' the Dream!
 You know that I am a HUGE Sam Clemens (Mark Twain) fan. They are doing a new printing of one of his classics, Huckleberry Finn. I am sure most, if not all of you, know the story of Huck and runaway-slave Jim rafting down the Mighty Mississip. In the new printing I heard that they are going to replace the word "nigger" with the word "slave." I think the word "nigger" is one of the most hateful, disgraceful, ignorant words in the existance of human-kind. Quite honestly, I even felt odd typing it and almost typed "the N word." What's the difference? If I type "the N word" you think of the word anyway so does that make you racist? I have gone back and forth in my head about how I feel about the reprinting not containing this vile word. I think that it is kind of insulting to African Americans, actually all American, to leave the word out. It was disgraceful, yes, but changing a fiction novel to eliminate this word isn't going to change history. I think leaving it in there makes us remember how we have grown and wisened-up. We still have A LOT more growing and wisening-up to do.

A bunch of old WHITE MEN framing our rights
Also, the U.S. Congress just read the U.S. Constitution out loud as a group during a session of Congress. I heard that they read the entire document from start to finish but left out the Articles discussing slavery and women not having the rights to vote. Again, these things really were awful, awful things (putting it mildly) for a country that was founded on freedoms but they have been abolished and we should not forget that we can and should grow. If we forget,it is my fear, there is the possibility that, in time, we could return to similar acts of injustice.

I will slide my soap box back under the desk. I am a bleeding-heart. I don't know how that term ever became a bad term and I take it as a compliment when I am called one. I hope I have not offended anyone today but I am very passionate about equality. I think color or gender or sexual preference...should play no role in of our basic human rights. One day it could be you or I that are being targeted. It's 2:57 PM and no call or technician yet. My money is on Terri's prediciton. I got a little windy today with my passion (TWSS). I will try to get a blog in tomorrow but who knows what the Farm Show will bring. I may write the blog tonight and post it very early tomorrow. Thanks for listening. TTTT....MITM (out).

No comments:

Post a Comment