Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Will Blog For Food!

I fly to the East Coast Friday with my buddy Randy - Phillies, Orioles and Nationals games. Barack and Michelle want us to stop by but I told them it depends on how things go. Today I heard on the news that there was what they suspect to be a "terrorist dry-run" whereby a couple of guys took bomb-type materials on a flight from Chicago to where I'm going in a couple of days just to see if they could do it. I am happy that our government is aware and knew about it but it will probably slow down airport security. Additionally, there is some windbag named Earl that may cause problems for us too. Hurricane Earl is expected to announce his presence with authority up and down the eastern seaboard. Sounds like quite a bit of blog potential over the weekend...tell your friends to get their subscriptions in to Matt In The Middle before this thing takes off (pun intended).

Now that I'm a supervisor at my part-time job I am walking a lot more. I always have Roz in my pocket, as you know, and Tuesday night I clocked about 11,000 steps. Of course, I worked out today and did 20 miles on the bike but most of the steps were at work. The workout was tolerable again today (more Schindler) so, though I am excited about heading East, I worry that I will take three steps back workout-wise again. It builds back up quickly but I'm just sayin'.

I went to Super Wal-Mart in the MIDDLE of the cornfield (DeKalb) Tuesday. There has been these guys, only one at a time, standing by the stop light as you exit holding signs begging for money. I know people fall on hard times but I have always been skeptical of people who resort to this tactic. I have heard before that there are some people who do this and make more money than you and I...and no income taxes. The signs they have range from: "unemployed" to "laid-off" to "disabled" to "selling candy - need work" (if you give him money he'll give you a sucker...probably a dum dum). I feel badly for people who may really need to resort to something like this but there's someone there all the time. I am sure they are getting their 40 hours a week in at that corner and they all share the money.

I heard about some weird college courses being offered. Montclaire College offers a course called "How to watch TV." and University of California - Berkeley has a class called "How to argue with Judge Judy." I majored in Radio-Television in college and we didn't have courses this ridiculous. I could teach these two classes. Man, I could start my own university. I would add classes like: "DVR Management" and "Signal Splitting" and "Banana Splits Philosophy" and "Early Norville Rogers History" (look up Norville Rogers...you know you want to). I would have an excellent curriculum. Maybe I could hold classes by the DeKalb Super Wal-Mart.

The word "conservatism" doesn't seem right to me (well I guess it is right, as in wing, but I mean the word doesn't seem correct). Why isn't it "conservativism?" It's not "liberism" it's "liberalism." This has always bothered me. Maybe I will meet up with Barack just to discuss this.

Okay round two of plasma donation early Wednesday morning. The arm that I donated from Monday doesn't even have a bruise...just a little tiny, itsy-bitsy, itty bitty, teeney weenie red dot. I am going to make them use my left arm this time so I can work on my novel with my right hand while I pump with the left. Have a good Wetsday (isn't it supposed to rain?). I'll blog you again for Thursday...don't do anything I'd wanna watch. TTFN.

** hurricane earl seaborded from nj.com & will work for food ad soup-kitchened from iowahawk.typepad.com **

5 comments:

  1. Pssst, Matt...don't shop at WM! I know it's probably hard not to in DeKalb, but they've driven every "Mom and Pop" out of business in small towns across the America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed jimbo , mega everythings have messed up our economy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Jim and you're probably right. I do depend on Wal-Mart too much. I do go to the Farmer's Market weekly and do a lot of shopping at the other various smaller stores, meat markets... And we almost exclusively eat (when we eat out) at restaurants that are owned by local community members. Some things are hard to get anywhere else out here but maybe I should make a more conscious and concerted effort to do that. Advise well taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, I just like to post comments on your blog! You don't owe me an explanation. We all just need to do what we can do. I'm impressed by the increased use of re-usable shopping bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the event that all goes well, the coral will even develop, additionally improving the general aquarium setup. inn on negley tea

    ReplyDelete