Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Matt In The Middle's East Coast Swing!

Thursday, August 12th...Sugar Momma's birthday. If you see her be sure to... tell me what you're doing in Tampa, Florida with my wife! We've been together for 12 years (she IS thirty-years-old now right?) However old she really is I have been with her since she was 18-years-old and I have been celebrating August 12th ever since. Happy Birthday Sugar Momma! (it's our secret but we've really been together for 28 years)

It's only about three weeks until my bi-annual pilgrimage to see multiple major league baseball worshiping-grounds (ballparks) over a long weekend. In 2008 my buddy Randy and I (and Craig was with us that time but his wife just had a baby so he can't go this time) visited Citizens Bank Park (Phillies), Yankee Stadium (Yankees) and Shea Stadium (Mets). It was the final seasons of both Shea and Yankee Stadium so that was pretty cool. The Phillies game go rained-out but we did get into the park and got VERY wet and ate; that's why the Phillies are back on the schedule again this time. I bet it rains because whoever said "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" wasn't there in September 2008. This year, along with the Phillies, we are going to Baltimore to see the Orioles and D.C. to hang with our homey Barack (MIDDLE-aged and MIDDLEwest Illinois) and see the Nationals. Randy and I both won money in Atlantic City last time too but we won't have the time for that this trip I don't believe.

When I was "talking" (which means messaging on Facebook) to Randy today I said that we should go to Geno's and Pat's and get cheesesteaks from each (they are basically across the street from one another) and do a true impartial comparison. Randy reminded me that I am a vegetarian. There goes the cheesesteaks and ballpark hot dogs. Randy suggested I go to Pat's and request a cheesesteak "with" (which mean Cheese Whiz and onions) and say "hold the meat." Maybe I'll do that while I wear a Blackhawks jersey; watch for my obituary the first week of September. Funny how the thought of Pat's and Geno's instantly made me forget that I don't eat meat. I have to vote for Pat's. We had Pat's last time, before I was a vegetarian, because Geno's offered Freedom Fries. Peter Luger's in Brooklyn was much better than both because that was REAL meat.

I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm last night and the episode was called Benadryl Brownies...more television imitating my blog! I am happy "Curb" is on the TV Guide channel now; it's a really funny, very well-written show.

The kids and I went to Boulder Hill yesterday to visit my parents since Splenda is going off to college next week. On the way back in the car we were listening to an oldies station (The River - 1980's/1990's are oldies to my kids). The song Livin' On A Prayer came on the radio and I asked my daughter if she knew who it was. She did not but my 13-year-old in the backseat yells, "Bon Jovi." My mouth dropped open and my eyes bugged out. I asked him how he knew and he said "Wii...Guitar Hero." So then Spirits In The Material World came on (I won't even mention the blog prediction there though by saying that I suppose I am sort of mentioning it) and I asked the same question. Nobody knew. I said "my favorite group in college." No response. "Sting was their lead singer." My daughter guesses, "KISS?" Alright, 1980's music is officially oldies music and I am officially old after all.

With summer break winding down the kids and I are going to Brookfield Zoo tomorrow. We were going to take our bikes to Elburn and get on the train with our bikes but I found that the Elburn train doesn't stop in Brookfield so we would have to take the Aurora train. If we go all the way to Aurora we may as well just drive to the zoo so we are driving to the zoo. If you're at the zoo tomorrow look for us and I'll buy you a Mold-A-Rama (you're choice). I love Mold-A-Ramas. I don't know why but maybe when kids are young they love them and you get off cheap on the souvenirs. You do make up for it later with the clean-up of the melted plastic in your vehicle. Next week is Six Flags Great America and then off to college for one and 8th grade for the other.

Hey, did you hear that Van Halen is putting together another album (or compilation or whatever these youngsters call new music these days) with David Lee Roth? That's right kids David Lee Roth was the original singer of a band called Van Halen (before "Van Hagar") and Eddie Van Halen was married to that Jenny Craig lady who used to be on a television show called "One Day at a Time" when Matt In The Middle was not close to MIDDLE. Maybe I could get a job as a pop culture (history) teacher. All of my trivia knowledge has to be useful for something besides blogging don't you think? Pay attention in music class kids...Sting's real name is Gordon Matthew Sumner and he was not in KISS...it was The Police!

Thanks for stopping by again. I am elated that you keep coming back so I can keep blogging. Have a nice Thursday. Maybe I'll see you at the zoo. Friday will be here before you know it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WITHOUT US SUGAR MOMMA!!!!!!! BWAK!

** phillies photo walked-off from ballparksorbaseball.com, geno's and pat's photo freedom fried from jaunted.com, mold-a-rama photo melted from moldarama.com & van halen photo jumped from thegreat80s.com **

No comments:

Post a Comment