Thursday, August 26, 2010

We're as Doomed As Doomed Can Be!

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy! Be warned...this is not one of my more cheery blogs but life isn't all incense, wine and candles. As is life so is the blog!

I spent 2 1/2 hours Thursday waiting to take and taking an employment test. I waited about 1 1/2 hours in a lobby for my turn and then about an hour taking the test. They will call me if a human actually wants to speak with me. While I was there there were about ten people of so waiting and taking the test. They only had two computers and this is a global company. Sitting in the "waiting room" I saw one person I knew and we talked but I don't think he knew who I was since I am about 67% the man I used to be when he knew me and I don't have to have facial hair to hide double chins anymore. He was one of the biggest builders in DeKalb and now he's here with me applying for a warehouse position. I had worked in construction management for over 15 years and he had been in the industry longer than I had. I got to talking to another guy while we were sitting there and he was a larger custom home builder too. Between 2008 and 2009 he lost over $750,000 that he will never get back. He said he is living in one of his model homes now because he knows it will never sell for what he has in it. He was a bit older than me and though I felt that I was not alone speaking with these two guys it sure did bum me out. Firstly, that I am looking for a warehouse worker position (that's what I did while I was in high school before "wasting" four years in college) and secondly, that all of of us MIDDLE-age construction management-types are competing with twenty-somethings for jobs we are WAY over-qualified for. If I tried to get this same position somewhere else I would lose money driving to the job so if I am going to get a job like this I have to stay close to home.

While brushing my teeth Thursday morning I wondered to myself - "self, why is toothpaste sweetened?" I came to the conclusion that it is because the manufacturers of toothpaste want us to crave the sweetness so we eat candy and gum and need to brush our teeth with their product or get cavities. Even if we don't we probably will have to buy more expensive products of theirs later on down the decay highway. Smart move dudes and dudettes...creating your own repeat business. Let's switch to baking soda.

I haven't seen it but I heard there is a new television show called Dating In The Dark. I went to ABC's site and found that the show takes three guys and three girls and puts them in a house, literally sight unseen. They then let them meet in a dark room with all of the others of the other sex one at a time. They then choose who they want to date and then see each other with the lights on. I thought of other shows that would be fun in the dark - "So, You Think You Can Dance In The Dark," "Wipeout For Sure," "America's Next Top Ugly Model," "Survivor, Deep Space"... Actually, most of the reality shows would be better in total darkness now that I think of it.

I can't stop thinking about our economy and how I don't think we've even hit bottom yet. America always bragged and puffed our chest out about how we were so smart and so powerful and all the while we were paying every other country to manufacture and assemble all of the products that we worked so hard to invent and perfect. Now, these other countries are doing all of our manufacturing and telephone customer service and assembly while we are a slow sinking ship. I feel we are like The Titanic in many ways. We know we are going down but there's no help that will reach us in time. A lot of the women have left the ship via the lifeboats in that a lot of them have kept their jobs because they were getting screwed for years with lower wages so now some of our families can go on (financially). We were heading right for the iceberg and our captain (government) saw it coming but figured we would bounce off and skip right past it but he (they) didn't realize that it was larger beneath the surface. I feel like I am a member of the band...playing on. Let's hope the Carpathia arrives soon to rescue us. When I searched for graphics here I see I wasn't the first one to make this comparison though I think my reasons are different than the graphics.

As my source in Hawaii, my brother Marc, told me and I passed along to you a couple of months ago right here Hawaii Five-0 is set to start airing on CBS on September 20th. I love Hawaii and I like Scott Caan (one of the stars) so I will give it a couple of episodes and if I like it I'll stay. I hope they have cameos with people like: Dog The Bounty Hunter, my brother, Henry Kopono, Jim Nabors, Tom Selleck, James Caan, me...any women in bikinis (that's a guarantee).

I have a lot more to blog in my notebooks but I already have a lot for tomorrow then because of my rants don't I? Have a fruitastic Friday. Payday...woohoo (get them before we're swimmin' with the fishes). I will blog more cheery tomorrow probably. Blog you later Deidrich Bader! TA!!!

** panduit logo applied for at movilesconextell.com, toothpaste ad moonshined from sofakingdrunk.com, titanic skull capsized from nerdapproval.com & hawaii five-0 badge two-finger discounted from collectiblebadges.com **

2 comments: