Saturday, September 1, 2012

Blog Bless America (and the world)

I just saw on the news that a man was arrested in a Chicago suburb for practicing dentistry without a license. They showed a photo of his dental office in his house and it had a window air conditioner unit and a tv tray to hold his tools. I thought that I might have had a problem with going to get dental work at a guys house and this is what I walked into. He was even doing root canals. They then went on to say most of his "patients" were "undocumented workers" so it may be hard to put together a case for this guy because not many people are going to come forward. I imagine he had good prices and maybe he did good work? It made me think that we don't use the term "illegal aliens" anymore. Maybe it's the word "aliens" or maybe it's the word "illegal." Maybe putting the two together makes it all the worse. Everybody loved E.T and Superman and they were both illegal aliens weren't they? Poor Superman was adopted and an illegal alien. Was he adopted or were MA and Pa Kent actually foster parents?

Last night we had a blue moon though it was covered by clouds but they say it was there. You would think that bars would have played that up a little. In case you do not know what a blue moon is the blog, once again, becomes an educational tool. I am a teacher like that other dude was a dentist. A blue moon is the second full moon within a month (and a beer). We had a full moon on August first and the blue moon came on August 31st. I wonder if there has ever been a blue moon on leap year day?

During his acceptance speech for the Republican Party nomination as their candidate for POTUS Mitt Romney said that he is just a MIDDLE guy from MIDDLE America. I suppose he is trying to build on the popularity of Matt In The Middle but I am not really sure what is MIDDLE about him.

My fantasy football dilemma worked itself out. A couple of guys announced right before the draft that they weren't going to play so our league went from ten teams to eight and then the house of cards started falling. I was asked to be in another league already and for some reason I said "yes." What in the hell is wrong with me? Speaking of games I am getting tired of playing Words With Friends and Scramble With Friends constantly. I feel like it's something I have to do every day know or I will let people who I am playing with down. Isn't that how our lives are? We cannot just relax we have to: write blogs or do podcasts or play games to keep ourselves busy all the time. I like the fact that I am playing these games with people I know and, in a way, it helps me stay in touch with friends but it is just another case of being a slave to technology. I really love doing the podcast and the blog or I wouldn't do them. Maybe I should start my own game called Stay In Touch With Friends. I think these games took the place of Sims and those other virtual reality games.
"God Bless America"
I just turned on a movie called God Bless America on Netflix as recommended by my hetero life mate and Entertainment Director from Dirty Laundry Podcast Greg "Chet" Weindorf.  I just started watching the film. It is obvious that it is a commentary about American media, our status consciousness at all cost and pop culture. I will let you know in the next blog how I felt about this movie but I like it so far. I like Joel Murray, Bill and Brian Doyle's brother. He is also on Mad Men if that helps. The movie also reminds me how quickly things change in our country. Nobody talks about American Idol like they did  before - "a bunch of karaoke singers with no talent." This movie seems a lot like our podcast; calling-out the ridiculousness of our current culture. It's definitely a dark comedy. So far, I really like this movie....thanks Chet!

While at work last night I started to think, "why do I like my job?" I came to the realization that this is one of the few jobs I have had since college (1986) where I haven't been the boss of people. I am happy not being a boss. I think I have always been a pretty good boss but I have liked the people too much and that, sometimes, made it difficult. It is also the only job, since I have started working (1979) where I worked in the same town that I live in. I am only about four minutes from work. I think I am living like a European now and I like it. At least I am living like a European as I see them in my mind - don't tell me if I am wrong because I like the romance of these thoughts.

This is getting a bit long so I had better stop. I will probably blog again tomorrow because I like to blog. Have a great three-day weekend in America (what the hell is Labor Day anyway?). I will have to blog about Labor Day soon huh? I get to work on Labor Day will I have to miss the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon? Tomorrow I will blog about Labor Day and how Jerry Lewis had changed that day for a long time. TTTT (almost definately) MITM...TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment