Saturday, May 1, 2010

Date Night on Date Night

I didn't quite make it to 3:00 AM today "220, 221 whatever it takes". The Spirits (not alcohol) told me that it's time to blog.

Thank you, everyone, for all the anniversary well-wishes. Date night was fun in that it was fun just having a date night; it's great when the kids can fend for themselves. We started off at La Za Za Trattoria in Sycamore. I was very disappointed in the meal. We started off with the bruschetta appetizer which was a bit bland but good and then I had the rib-eye/shrimp special. The house vinaigrette salad dressing was very good. The steak came with roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables. The vegetables were very good too. They tasted as though they were stir-fried in a garlic or ginger sauce. That's where the "good" ended. The potatoes were dry, the shrimp was tasteless and rubbery and the steak was fatty and gristly. The wait staff was very attentive, though the maitre de was a little too attentive at times. The overall atmosphere was nice. Jill had some sort of pasta in a red sauce and enjoyed it. Though the meal wasn't what we'd hoped I tipped 25% because the waitress (and sidekicks) were very good. At least the restaurant is right across from the hospital in case you get sick. Naw, it wasn't quite that bad...maybe it was my menu selection - never go with one of the specials (I fall for that a lot). Have I learned nothing from Gordon Ramsay? Just like someone from Middletown USA to blame himself for a bad meal out.

Then we went to see the movie "Date Night." It was good but (I hope this doesn't spoil the movie if you see it) I can tell that the writer is a fan of "Adventures In Babysitting"(1987) and "The Blues Brothers." This was almost the exact story as "Adventures In Babysitting" with splashes of "The Blues Brothers" or "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" thrown in. I couldn't help but think about "Adventures..." the whole time. I would still recommend it as Steve Carell and Tina Fey are both hilarious as always but maybe wait until it comes to video. There's apparently some new actor named Common. Jill and I noticed his name in the upcoming Queen Latifah movie trailer (we both love Queen Latifah). I just went to her website (QueenLatifah.com) and cannot find the name of the movie - "Girl, you need a new blogger." Anyway, then we're watching the opening credits for "Date Night" and guess who is in it (as one of the main villians)? You are so smart...Common (that's not to say you're common but that Common was in the movie). Ok - checked it out and his real name is Lonnie Rashied Lynn, Jr. and he's a rapper from the MIDDLE (Illinois). Dude you have a following already and you know what you're doing but I think I'd go by Lonnie Rashied or something...I think the name Common is gonna get lost by us Middles (I hope you'll become a huge star as "Common" and I'll have been wrong). A couple of the previews before 'your feature presentation" were so long that they told the entire stories of the movies. Jill and I kept looking at each other like "I guess we don't need to see that movie since we just saw it (preview)."

I was thinking of my middleness yesterday and realized that my name (Matthew/Matt) starts with the 13th letter of the alphabet. 26 letters in the alphabet divided by two is 13...the MIDDLE letter of the alphabet...ARGH again! It made me think about my name. Did my parents destine me to be an ordinary (Middle) by my name? I should have gone by "Matthew" as a Matt is something people walk on, or step on when they get out of the shower, or wrestle on... Maybe I would have done better in life if my name didn't suggest people to walk all over me...at least I always make people feel Welcome I guess.

An oil slick literally the size of Jamaica is washing up on the Gulf Coast shores. Our economy and environment aren't suffering enough already? It is not my plan to make this a political blog but things need to change on this planet. Now more than ever I want to live in a wind turbine but I may have to rethink having my ashes scattered in the sea.

Enjoy your weekend. I'm gonna try to go back to sleep for a little while. See you later...not if I see you first...

(photos "borrowed" from: Little Gordan Ramsay - eatmedaily.com. Date Night - filmofilia.com and door mat - architecturalclassics,com)

No comments:

Post a Comment