Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eat Colorfully!

Happy Cinco De Mayo!!!

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record (records are those black disks that music used to be played from) but I have been lying in bed since 3:34AM. I thought I would try to just lie there and maybe I could fall back asleep but no. It doesn't matter how late I stay up or how tired I am I seldom get past the 3:00 hour. The wind through the leaves in the trees this morning sounded very similar to the ocean surf. I see why they both made my list.

Last night Jill was getting her hair done and I needed to get some groceries so I said I'd drop her off, go to the store and hurry back to pick her up. I dropped her off at 6:00 PM, went and hurried through the store and got back to see that she wasn't done yet so I went inside. They were very nice and offered me beverages and sent me to a room that they use to do the men's hair. It had some nice chairs and a television and I controlled the remote. It kinda reminded me of the waiting room in Beetlejuice where he ended up getting his head shrunk. I watched the Cubs, the Sox, four episodes of The Office, the 2009 World Series of Poker and parts of Lost which I don't even watch. This haircut took THREE HOURS. I always thought she went and got her hair done and then spent two-and-a-half hours shopping. Good Gravy! I have cut and colored her hair before (you're picturing Warren Beatty in Shampoo aren't you?). Guys came in and out and we'd talk sports and stuff like guys do but I was like the mayor of this Man Cave room. I have played rounds of golf shorter than this. Professional baseball games don't last that long. I think it was some elaborate plan to have me get this message out so guys stay away from the beauty salon. Nicely played ladies...nicely played. She does look nice but THREE HOURS?

Yesterday I mentioned that when we got home from our baseball game Monday night there was a PAC 10 Head Coach in our living room who helped me diagnose my son's baseball injury. The three friends of my son's that lived across the street and moved just before this past winter are getting ready to close on selling their house. Their father was a coach at NIU and left to take a job with a PAC 10 School. The Pac 10 is the conference with: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Stanford... quite an upgrade from Northern Illinois University. It's nice to see good people move up in their professions. Some (probably few) people are actually selling their houses because of the old-fashioned good reasons; progressing in their professions. He stopped by on a cross-country trip and just happened to be over when we got home from our baseball game. We miss them. They were some of the first friends my son remembers.

Yesterday I peddled across town running errands on my bike. Too bad there aren't bike messenger jobs in the Middle of a corn field. I did about ten miles with several stops along the way. On the way back I stopped at the grocery store to get lunch. They have a really good salad bar at Shnuck's grocery store (it's a grocery chain out of St. Louis). So I stopped and got salad bar, a Fuji apple and a bottle of water. I figured "healthy and cheap." I was half right. I must have been really hungry because it was $14.00. They charge for the salad by weight and, hold on I have the receipt in my backpack downstairs...I'm gonna go see how much it weighed...talk amongst yourselves, topic "how does a salad cost $14.00?" (musical interlude). I can't find the receipt but it must have weighed a lot. I was full after the salad because I still have the apple so I guess I get two meals out of it; now we're down to a $7.00 apple. I did put some imitation crab meat on there...The Gulf Coast oil spill fish inflation...ARGH!

While I was eating my salad at their little lunch area I was noticing how colorful the salad was and I remember hearing that most of the best foods are colorful foods. Most fruits and vegetables are colorful so I guess it makes sense. Eat colorfully!

I bought a Powerball and and a Mega Millions ticket while I was there too. Mega was drawn last night but I'll wait to check it later because I haven't lost until I look right? Powerball is drawn tomorrow I think.

While I was biking I went past the public broadcasting radio station. Why are there so many Mercedes and BMW's there? I figured those people all drove Mazdas and Yugos and Prius's and Smart Cars. I am so naive.

I'm gonna try to take a nap today though I'm sure that won't help me sleep through the night but we have the 8:00 game tonight and I will be a crabby matty by the end of the game. In all actuality I can't nap no MATTer how tired I am. Maybe hammock time this afternoon? Doubtful.

Have a very guacamole day! Talk to you manana.

(beetlejuice picture from goremasterfx.files.wordpress.com and salad bar photo from teamsugar.com)

1 comment: