Monday, April 6, 2015

Mustaches and the PeaCOCK

I mentioned in the blog a few days ago that I miss playing fantasy football. Shortly after that my friend Dave who I worked with at a sport and concert venue several years ago sent me a message that he and his brother play every year and are always looking for players. I have put it on the calendar on my phone and I intend to play fantasy football league this year. Dave lives in Massachusetts but I figure his brother and, probably many of the players in their league, still live in the Chicagoland area so we will probably be an Illinois-based league. The series The League is based in Chicago so I would feel more like a purest if that were the case. Plus, for tax-purposes, when I win, I need to know where the league is based. Even though, like all leagues this is for entertainment purposes, I am certain, and no cash will change hands. Additionally, I am always excited to find out who reads the blog.
When did Colonel Sanders get a job at the advertising firm?

The season premier of the final season of Mad Men was on last night. I expect a lot of excitement with this being the final season. The show sped-up over the break and it is now the 1970's (at least 1969 as the moon landing was on the show).  I could not get over the funny mustaches. I hope, at the very least, Roger shaves his soon. I found the 'staches very distracting though entertaining.

A lot of people are making a big deal about Hillary Clinton using her personal cell phone rather than her company phone as Secretary of State. My dad keeps trying to goad me into that discussion and I always just skirt the issue. My dad, somehow, has become a hard-line Republican (I know how but that doesn't make a difference). Maybe some of the older folks are intimidated that Mrs. Clinton (67 years old) can figure out technology. I am intimidated by it but I am also impressed by it. I supposed, just like I have Cha Cha and Splenda and Fabio to ask all of my techy questions to. she has lots and lots of pretty smart people surrounding her.

I just went out on the patio after letting Jeff out into the yard and I see that one of the houses that backs right up to our house is having a new roof put on today. I cannot believe that we have "minimal damage" and everybody around us has enough damage to have an entire new roof (shingles and such) installed. I know insurance companies and roofing companies are in business to make money but I still have a problem believing that this isn't insurance fraud. I believe the insurance companies send people to check the roofs before they approve payment but, you know they are making money too with all of these claims. We will probably all have our insurance rates raised because of this. If that happens I think I will complain to the good neighbors at State Farm and, if nothing is done about it, look check out some cut-rate insurance place. I suppose this is what they call playing the system and why I will remain happily in the MIDDLE for the rest of my life. I am mostly honest unless I am playing poker or something.

I have never really liked trash-talk much. I know people will say that, for a person who doesn't like trash-talk, you sure do it a lot. If they investigate they will find that to be true but, dig a little deeper, and they will see that I have rarely, if ever, started the talk. I do not have a problem giving it back (and I think I am pretty good at it) but I prefer good sportsmanship. I do try to avoid conflict (as I do with the Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama stuff with my dad). With the new MLB season underway and me being a St. Louis Cardinals' fan living in Chicago Cubs country I take a lot of abuse. I am a big boy and I actually don't mind it at all. I can imagine their frustration and admire them sticking with a team like this team. Almost all of the trash-talk is done in good fun and that has always been part of sports. Many of the people that give me the business for being a Cardinals' fan just chose the Cubs as their favorite team because of their proximity or because it is a family tradition or something. We all choose our favorite everything for a reason and those are as good of reasons as any but, the White Sox are right there too!

In the MIDDLE of the night last night, when I discovered I could not sleep AGAIN, I decided to watch Saturday Night Live that I had recorded. Michael Keaton was the host. I have always liked him (since Night Shift) as an actor and he seems like a nice guy to me (he could be a pompous jerk though). During one of the sketches I found something that I think may have been unintentionally funny; it was at least funny to me. The channels keep their logos on the screen all the time so we morons can know what we are watching. I suppose it is really so people cannot make videos or take photos of their programming. I was very amused by the position of the NBC peaCOCK (I hope me taking a photo of my television isn't copyright infringement but it was in MY bedroom and I do pay for the programming (DirecTv) so I will take the chance. Was that positioning just a coincidence (probably). Would I have positioned it that way on purpose so some moron would blog about it later? (definitely).
Is Keaton's barn door open and he has a weird tattoo? What a braggart!

On June 30th this year there will be an extra second in the day called a "leap second." This will be the 26th leap second added to the calendar/clock since 1972. If you have one of those clocks that counts down the seconds it will actually show 23:59:60 instead of 23:59:59 before 00:00:00. It has something to do with the Earth's irregularity in rotation at atomic time. So, does this mean that I am about 30 seconds older than I thought I was? How does that effect my life insurance? I should find out soon because Cha Cha may have to cash in on that soon. Not really - I am not quite that bad-off as far as I know. Ignorance truly is bliss.

I went over to the Human Resource department of my work today to discuss my situation. They were very kind and helpful though I have to get a few more things for them. It is so much easier to be healthy than ill for so many reasons. I am happy that I only have the rest of today with my wireless event monitor. I get to throw the whole thing in the prepaid envelope they gave me and put it in the mail tomorrow. It is a pain to take a shower with taking these electrode thingies off and then having to reattach them. The pain mainly comes from my hairy sternum and chest. Yes, I shaved the areas where the stickers are applied but there it is pretty difficult to get them all. Tom Selleck and I really feel for you ladies with all of the leg shaving and bikini waxing and such. Also, I am thinking it may behoove me to drop my State of Illinois Cigna insurance and apply for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obama Care) insurance. I will look into it but I am not sure what that would entail and if I can just do that.

I have to end now. I am sorry that this dragged-on. I cannot believe that the Cardinals and Cubs have off days after one game. I would love to watch another ballgame tonight. Thank you for stopping by so I could complain and wax poetic. I hope you have a great night. I will surely blog again tomorrow between going insane and the many other things I have on my plate. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment