Wednesday, April 29, 2015

I Know I Can be an Old Poop

It's a sold-out crowd!
If you love baseball you need to see the Netflix original documentary about baseball called The Battered Bastards of Baseball. It is about The Portland Mavericks. They were an independent minor league baseball team owned and run by Bing Russell (Kurt Russell's dad). I watched it on a lark and I loved this film. This team was what baseball should be about. Bing Russell was not what the "good old boys network" liked. I turned the movie on and I could not stop watching. I will probably watch it again one of these days.I love the David and Goliath thing and this was a real-life David and Goliath! Plus, Kurt Russell is in it. I have always liked him.

Today Major League Baseball will make history. I bet that sentence has been used many, many times. The MLB is all about history and statistics but this is a stat, hopefully, that will never be repeated. The Chicago White Sox are playing the Baltimore Orioles today at 13:05. If the game is televised I will be sure to watch this one even though I do not have a horse in this race. I may even walk to a bar to watch it. I have seen baseball live in Camden Yards but I wish I was going to be in the stadium today. I would have the pick of my seat and I love to pick my seat. There will be zero fans in the ballpark today due to the civil unrest (some call them riots) in the city of Baltimore. I suppose the vendors will have the day off too. It would be cool to be the only fan there and just have the vendors there just for you. There are people saying that the game should be played in nearby Philadelphia or Washington (the other two ballparks that my buddy Randy and I visited on one of our baseball trips). Others are saying that they should play the game, with the fans, at Camden Yards so the city can prove that there are good people who live in Baltimore too. I agree that having fans at the game would probably be a mistake but I would not play the game in an empty stadium. It is going to be quieter than a spring training game. Cha Cha and I discussed it and we agreed that if we had a party planned at our home with people coming in from out of town and something crazy were happening near our home we would rent a hall or something and move it there. I bet there are people who have vacations planned that included an Orioles' game but, since most schools are still in session for a couple more weeks, that number is probably low. I really hope it is televised in the Chicagoland area.

I broke one of the big rules of my medical incarceration yesterday. I am not going to say what the rule that I broke was because it was very, very naughty. It was not immoral so my soul or my heart or whatever did not die a little when I lied or cheated. I did not gain another black spot on my heart either. However, it was very naughty and irresponsible. I had what I decided was a very good reason to break this rule and it worked-out fine but it could have been disastrous. We all have good reasons for breaking the rules but I bet all of the rioters and looters in Baltimore convince themselves that what they are doing are for good reasons too. I bet the guy who was stealing from the tornado victims out near me convinced himself that he was doing that for a good reason. The thing I did was not anywhere near those two but, had things gone south, it may have been perceived that way. I consider myself atoned now.

I am forgetting more and more every day I think.Maybe that is my atonement. I have always had a really exceptional memory so it might just be coming down to regular human standards and that is acceptable. Jill and I ate at a restaurant that we had (allegedly) eaten at about a year ago and I did not remember it at all. She mentioned an incident from when we were there that I faintly remembered but I did not remember where it occurred. When you see a lady talking to her baby all though lunch only to learn later that the baby is a dog in a stroller it is difficult to forget. But, even that, I only remember only faintly. Incidentally, we were eating outside on the patio portion of the restaurant.
I seriously can be an old poop sometimes

Tomorrow is Cha Cha and my 27th wedding anniversary. See, I remember the important things. We were together for five or six years before that. I must have been on my best behavior for that first five or six years. I bet she didn't think she would have a doddering old poop on her hands in just 27 years; I am her Norman Thayer Jr.. Thank goodness we sold our boat a few years back. People often tell me that I am always happy and I seem like things don't bother me. If you read the blog (which you obviously do) you know that is far from the truth but, being with and learning by Cha Cha's examples, I have become a much better person. Goodness knows where I would have been if I hadn't hitched my cart to her horse. I wasn't sure whether to call her the horse or the cart but the horse is better so I decided to make her the horse. Who doesn't love a horse? You always put the horse before the cart.

I find myself proof reading the blog a lot more before I post it these days. Even then, if I read it again later, I often find typos. It is probably because I have more time on my hands to proof it these days.

Tonight I am going to make the meal I didn't make last night. I grilled burgers and red potatoes on the grill last night instead. I got to the store and didn't have have my list of ingredients with me. It was not a forgetting thing it was a circumstances thing. I happened to be near the store and it seemed to be silly not to stop while I was there. I am thinking of getting a segway (some spell it segue). I would love to be the Paul Blart of my town. I think I would wear a white shot and a black tie when I rode it. Maybe I will go to Chicago and take one of those segway torus to see how I like it first. I have seen old people on them so I am confident that I could learn.

I forgot to tell you that we finalized the booking for our cruise yesterday. From what I hear we will be the youngest people on the barge. We saved a lot on the trip insurance because of our "young" ages. I think I may have written about that before but, just in case, I wrote it again. I bet all of the ladies will want to dance with a guy who has two good hips. I bet there will be bingo on the boat. With my luck I will have to be the caller - not to worry, I have lots of bingo calling experience. I can open jars for people. On the trip will go to: the Prague, several stops in Germany (including my birthplace - Heidelberg), Paris and Luxembourg (like New York, New York - a place so good they named it twice). It is just going to be Cha Cha and I but the kids both had great trips that we funded without us in the past. Splenda had gone to Coast Rica and Fabio went on a Bahamian cruise with one of his friends' family stopping at a lot of great ports of call. I feel guilty that we cannot take the four of us but they have long lives to go with their spouses one day. They can use my life insurance for that when I'm gone. Maybe I should win the lottery between now and then so we can all go? I'll have to add that to my shopping list. I will buy a couple of tickets when I walk to the store later.

Alright, I have to get some stuff done around the house. I hope you have a great day and that your weather is as nice as it is in my little portion of the MIDDLEwest right now. Thank you, as always, for taking a few minutes to read what I can remember so far. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment