Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Renewable Energy of the Blog!

Former White House solar panel now on Carter Library
Today is my 468th Matt In The Middle blog. That is a milestone in Matt In The Middle blog history. It is the first time I have ever written my 468th blog. I think if I stick with it I am certain to beat that record eventually.

Did you realize that back in 1979 the White House had solar panels on the roof? Jimmy Carter had 32 solar panels installed on the roof as part of a research and development project to heat the water for the White House. At the dedication ceremony President Carter said, "In the year 2000 this solar water heater behind me, which is being dedicated today, will still be here supplying cheap, efficient energy…. A generation from now this solar heater can either be a curiosity, a museum piece, an example of a road not taken or it can be just a small part of one of the greatest and most exciting adventures ever undertaken by the American people." The Carter Administration planned that 20% of the nation's energy would come from renewable sources (wind, water, sun...) but today we still only receive about 7% of our energy from renewable sources. In 1986 the Reagan Administration cut the renewable energy budget so badly that the research project was scrapped and the solar panels were removed. These cuts also slowed down the wind turbine research. Yesterday when I drove south of my town (DeKalb) I marveled at the wind turbines as I do about once or twice a week. I am very proud that they are out here in the MIDDLE. They are symbols of hope and caring to me. I wish the Reagan Administration would have had the vision to keep the renewable energy dream alive; imagine where we'd be with the research that could have been done since 1979. It would probably have saved thousands of American lives that were lost fighting wars for oil. Today one of Carter's panels sits atop The Carter Library in Atlanta, one is in a museum in China and over half of them warm the cafeteria at Unity College in Maine. Isn't it funny how just seeing a few wind turbines as I drive down the road makes me blog-on so? Talk about renewable energy!
Looks like the Man of Steel has already been there

I guess I was thinking about the sun quite a bit yesterday while I was mowing the lawn MIDDLE-day (I never claimed to be the brightest star in the galaxy). I was thinking how happy I was that the sun gets to go on vacation every once in awhile. I just wish his vacation-spot wasn't closer to Earth than his home. Can't he take a day or two off and visit the Andromeda galaxy or something?

I took the chance to mow yesterday in hopes that it would rain last night. Holy moley did it rain last night. Our power went out for a bit (okay - about 9 seconds) which made me further think about renewable energy. I will be thinking about it a lot today when I travel the country-side resetting clocks on microwaves and alarm clocks and the like. I heard that there are hundreds of more people without electricity again due to all of the storms last night in the MIDDLEwest. I don't think they've got all of the power restored from the last go-round yet. I guess resetting clocks doesn't sound so bad after-all.

I heard President Obama is in Chicago. I apologize ahead of time for when the Secret Service has to close off my entire neighborhood because the Presidential motorcade has to pull in so The President can come here to be on Dirty Laundry Podcast. If that were really going to happen I guess I would have just blown it by making that up huh?
They really threw out the Welcome MATT for me!
Yesterday in my travels I stopped by the small town of Plano, Illinois. I call it a small town because A) it's a small town and B) it is turning into Smallville. When I say Smallville I am referring to the town that Clark Kent (Superman) grew up in. The upcoming film Man of Steel will begin filming in Plano next week. If anybody knows how to get ahold of Kevin Costner (Pa Kent), Diane Lane (Ma Kent) or Russell Crowe (Jor-el) please just have them come on out for the podcast. They don't need to call ahead I will be on "ready-alert five" stand-by to interview them. I love all three of these people as actors. Russell Crowe has been in some of my favorite movies of all time (particularly Gladiator and Master and Commander: Farside of the World) and so has Kevin Costner (Dances with Wolves). I am about to reveal another of my favorite movies that I have never told anyone. I know it is very MATTrosexual but I really, really like Under The Tuscan Sun (Diane Lane). I am far more secure in my MATTrosexuality than I once was.

I could rattle on for hours but fortunately, for you, I do have some mental-restraint and I will stop. The option for clothing is still in effect for today but choose wisely. Thank you for stopping by here to visit with me - I always appreciate your company. Have a wonderful day and maybe it will be a little cooler outside in the MIDDLEwest today after those storms last night. TTTT...MITM (soon to be working-out in case they need a body-double for Matt Man of Steel). Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment