Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It Was 30 Years Ago Today...the Music Died

cue the music

Paul, John, George and Ringo - The Mini Beatles
Thirty years ago tonight I was watching Monday Night Football with ten toes and Howard Cosell broke in and mentioned that John Lennon had been shot and killed. You know it's a big deal if they interrupt Monday Night Football and even more so when Howard Cosell announces it. We had all hoped for a Beatles' reunion one day but at that point it became impossible. I remember the next day I was sitting in class next to a friend, Sherri Lerche. She was a HUGE Beatles' fan. It was our senior year of high school and I was still in the running for Class Clown or Most Humorous so I was always campaigning. The day after Lennon was shot she had brought some small Beatles dolls to class. She was very sad, understandably, and I made a very bad-taste joke while knocking over the John Lennon doll. She actually smiled and laughed a little but it was pretty jerky of me even though I was just trying to cheer her up. I am sorry about doing that but happy it cheered her up for a nano-second.

I am still bitter about coming in as "runner up" for Most Humorous. Maybe I got second place because of the "TOO SOON" rule of comedy with this one incident. There's no way that Kevin Keeran was funnier than me. He was a jock and I don't think I ever even saw him smile from 8th grade to graduation...politics are always present. I was in on the planning of filling the dean's office with books from the library over Christmas break for crying out loud. I didn't get to take part in the caper, however, as I got my toe cut off and was in the hospital...maybe getting my toe cut off cost me Most Humorous and a big toe. What a great alibi though huh? The lengths I will go to for a prank.  Not being involved in the actual act probably saved me graduating high school though. I want a re-vote at our 30th reunion next year but I'm not bitter and don't harbor resentment much! I will rescind my diploma if necessary.

I decided to write the blog early today because I can do what I want to do. I am the C.E.O. of Matt In The Middle International and gosh darn it it's time to blog! I just got done donating plasma and shopping and putting away the groceries and I missed blogging to you so here I am, back by my own popular demand.

I am a bit light-headed right now from Plasma Fun-Time. It did not go without incident but nothing too major. You know I have been complaining about my left arm vein aching but Friday and today I decided to use that arm for the voodoo anyway. Today I wasn't able to get the pressure up to get out enough plasma collected on each cycle. They came and re-poked me (TWSS) and it seemed to go better. It took longer than usual but just about ten minutes longer. I haven't had blood pressure issues there since I started my new scheduling ploy. I schedule my appointments for 9:00 but I leave the house at 8:00. It only takes me 15 minutes to get there but then I take my sweet time and don't get worked up. I tend to have road-rage sometimes because I know I am a better driver than everybody else. It's a documented fact that I am...check the U.S. Hall of Records if you don't believe me (light-headed remember). They haven't said anything about me being 45 minutes early for the last three weeks.

I have been listening to Bob Marley, Mishka and Xavier Rudd as well as John Lennon/Beatles while writing this blog. They all have the same kind of messages in their songs; peace and loving each other and the Earth. Thank you to my good friend Matthew McConaughey for turning me on to Mishka and Rudd; they have become two of my favorites. Facebook friends counts as good friends right? You are all my good friends and most of you are Facebook friends so it makes sense to me. But what do I know I am second most humorous.
Stir It Up!
I have a lot more to blog but I rambled again. While I am on Marley though (I am a friend of his on Facebook too - he lives with Elvis and Jim Morrison) I want to mention his new drink that just came out from Marley Beverage Company called Marley's Mellow Mood. It's designed to "calm your soul and ease your mind." It's the opposite of an energy drink...it's a relaxation drink. I am getting some tomorrow and I will let you know how it is ("I know a guy"). I plan to "use" it tomorrow night with my Benadryl so I can sleep through the night. Oh, man...I was going to tell you about the K Y Jelly - I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow...how can you not come back with that tease (TWSS)? TTTT...MITM (not humorously).

8 comments:

  1. I think someone stuffed the ballot box...i am also runner up queen...runner up most talented, runner up class space. Class space? WTF? It's a conspiracy, I tell you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's gonna be a lotta splainin' to do at the reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won best dressed in our class. I didn't even think people knew I existed. I still have my trophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a trophy? Now I am really steamed. I did get a certificate for runner up / most humorous. You were always well-dressed; I probably voted for you because I knew you existed (surprised?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, you have my vote! i think i was runner up for "most radical" Judii, did you win that one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt this cracks me up! Mark got curliest hair so he got a trophy! Even funnier is that as I was reading this Mark and Kevin Keeran were texting back and forth. Kevin really is a funny guy but not sure he was the Class Clown! Maybe you should be on the committee for our 30th reunion! Who the heck is planning that anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Class Clown was Geoff Gillette. I am not really sure what the difference between Class Clown and Most Humorous are. Maybe Class Clown does more physical comedy and Most Humorous just tells jokes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was runner up for class flirt! Go figure. No trophy here. Who wants a stupid certificate anyway? Didn't show that one to the parents! Sue Higley got the trophy. Who is planning the next reunion and will it happen? I'm game to help! Matt, I had no idea you were in on the books in Hoefler's office!

    ReplyDelete