Saturday, November 27, 2010

Phi Blogga Jamma

I just got home from work - I like working basketball games. Tomorrow Splenda heads back to college. It was great having her home. She will be back in a couple of weeks for Christmas break. Today she visited a couple of old boyfriends from high school. One was her first official boyfriend (unless we count DeVoniss when Splenda was real young) and the other was her second boyfriend. They share an apartment together now. I immediately thought of There's Something About Mary. I may have to Netflix that movie, it's a good one. I am just wondering which one is Woogie and which one is Ted.


Speaking of old movies. last night I was trying to convince Fabio to watch Teen Wolf with me. He was very reluctant probably the same way I was when my dad wanted to watch The Dirty Dozen or High Plains Drifter...when I was a kid. I finally convinced him with talk of how good he gets at basketball when he becomes the wolf. So, we watched it together and he ended up rating in 4 stars. I had forgotten how funny that movie was and even more so now when the 80's stuff is retro. Didn't Teen Wolf become a Saturday morning cartoon too? If you get a chance watch it again...for MIDDLE-time sake.

Do they still sell dog whistles? How do you know if a dog whistle works before you buy it? They had a dog whistle in Teen Wolf and I had forgotten all about dog whistles. 
   
Beverly Thompson and family (assumed)
Sugar Momma and Splenda went shopping last night (Black Friday Night) downtown DeKalb. One of the places they went was Moxie. Moxie is a really cool store (I apparently think the word cool is cool) right downtown that sells a lot of silly things that you can't find anywhere else. Also, on the third floor I think, they have resale clothing items and such. A couple of years ago I got a pair of Italian leather shoes for like $18.00; they are really cool shoes. I have always (well, since I got the shoes) said that some guy probably died wearing the shoes in Sicily or somewhere in Italy. Sugar Momma is really into vintage purses right now; she buys them and uses them. Yesterday she bought three. I only have one wallet and it goes with all of my outfits. Anyway...she was moving stuff over to one of the purses and it had a billfold in one of the pockets. It wasn't like The Brady Bunch or The Andy Griffith Show when Opie and Greg and Peter found money but I think it's better...pieces of the purse's history. The wallet has a bank book that says "SAVINGS DEPARTMENT BANK OF INDEPENDENCE INDEPENDENCE, MO."... It's the account of Beverly Thompson of 8501 E. 27th, Kansas City, MO. The account was opened September 17, 1941 and the last entry was December 15, 1946, a year after WWII ended. There's photos of Beverly and her family. Her husband appears to have been an Army officer who probably fought in WWII. It looks like they had four children and there's a photo of her in a car. There's a Blue Cross and Blue Shield card from 1947. There are a lot of medical cards and doctor's numbers in the wallet and she was also a Kansas City member of Beta Sigma Phi. There are several small notes with phone numbers in her handwriting. It's weird how a person who I have never known, nor will I ever know, becomes so central in my mind for a moment in time. The children in these photos are probably in their mid to late 60's. I will obsess over this for a couple of weeks. So maybe I have haunted shoes and Sugar Momma has haunted purses; I'd walk on the other side of the street when you see us coming if I were you; like you already don't.

I have a lot more to write but I have been writing too much lately so I will stop. Tomorrow I will mention (very shortly) about my further sleeping adventures and those of you who have helped my pursuit of sleep. Have a nice Sunday morning and I will blog you again sometime tomorrow. TTTT...MITM out!

No comments:

Post a Comment