Friday, November 26, 2010

Life Would be a Blog Sweetheart!


Today's secret word is "sleep." Say the secret word and divide a mention in a future Matt In The Middle blog between you...And now, here he is, the one the ONLY ... BLAGGO ...

Today's secret word is "sleep"
I didn't know why I used the opening for Your Bet You Life to start this blog until I typed it and remembered that the re-runs were on in the MIDDLE of the night and I was awake watching them. I don't think I even slept well when I was younger; well, that's not true I could always sleep on a gym floor or on a bus. That's the whole purpose of today's blog - sleep therapy. Being Black Friday you will probably be tired and if you're reading this blog why aren't you sleeping? Seriously, I thought maybe writing about my sleeping problems would trigger something in my b.b. (you'll shoot your eye out) brain or that maybe you would have some suggestions. So I guess this blog is a little self-analysis and you are my assistant therapists.

It would probably become my tomb
Four of my problems that cause me not to stay asleep are my eyes and my ears. My eyes seem to be very sensitive to light even when closed and my ears are very sensitive to sound even when I'm asleep. I love it completely dark and completely silent. I have always wanted to try one of those sensory-deprivation tanks where you are immersed in water like in the movie (I can't remember the name of the movie so let me consult IMDB through Middle Movie Reviews - shameless / shameful plug) Altered States (1980). I am like a living motion/light detector. I have a face mask that I wear sometimes to drown out the light (it says "out of order" on it but that's a lie) and I have tried to sleep with my I-pod plugging my ears but then I would not be able hear the alarm in the morning. I have two of those sound-effect machines and I have down-loaded the ocean sounds for Roz but nothing works. Even sleep-aids like Benadryl help me get to sleep but don't lengthen my visit to slumberland. Additionally, I know that it's my job as the dad to protect my family and I need all of my senses to ward off any looming danger or cries in the night. I am a bundle of neurosis.

Sugar Momma says I look like Darth Vader
I used to snore thunderously and Sugar Momma said I would wake up in the MIDDLE of the night gasping for air. I underwent a sleep-study maybe six or seven years ago and they found that I stopped breathing like 400 times an hour or some ridiculous number (I cannot remember the exact amount of times I died an hour). So, I got a C-Pap Machine that forced air through my nose all night so I wouldn't stop breathing. It was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep with (not that unlike me - TWSS) so I stopped using it. After I lost all my weight (nearly 100 pounds) I was thinking that was a big part of the problem but it seems maybe it is a separate issue (at least I feel better while I'm supposed to be awake now). I don't know that it actually helped me sleep either but maybe I will try it again tonight - no, I WILL TRY IT AGAIN TONIGHT.

I have heard that sleeplessness comes from: stress (my stress source has changed but I seem to need stress to survive), guilty conscience from past lives (who knows?), health issue (maybe allergies?), too sedentary (I am always busy and work-out like a fiend), diet (I eat fairly healthy now)...

I guess this is where I put the photo of Lucy Van Pelt that I have used so many time before to beg for your psychiatric counsel. I would gladly pay you Cyber Monday for some psychiatric help today. Even if you can't help me maybe this blog will help put you asleep. I should be the poster-boy for the saying "I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead." With my luck I will be forced to haunt somebody for all of eternity and still won't be able to rest...it my be you (wouldn't it be weird if I died right after posting this blog?)! Help me Obi Wan Kanobi...you're my only hope.

Have a good Black Friday night. I hope you got everything you were Black Fridaying for and I hope you sleep well tonight while I don't because I will be haunting you. TTTT...MITM!..........boo!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes insomnia, what a joy. Tis my 2 week year old baby girl that is adding to it now. My wife actually gave me the "pass" to sleep on the couch last night to get some rest. I've thought about getting a sleep study but I guess I'm scared to find out all the trouble I'll have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newborn baby's are definitely not a recipe for sleep. Congrats on the baby girl :) That was a great time. Is she your first?

    The sleep study I had was interesting but they hooked me up to all of these wires...and then kept coming in all night and waking me up. How can they study my sleep when they kept waking me up?

    Th C-pap machine has actually helped me again the last few nights. It has a humidifier built in so the moisture keeps me from getting stuffed up but as soon as I take it off on the morning my my nose stuffs up - I am sure I have allergies now!

    ReplyDelete