Saturday, January 17, 2015

Violence, a Scam and the Sniper

In all fairness the crime rate has decreased over the past five years
I am very proud of Cha Cha. Yesterday she went to Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom all by herself. I have done things like that many times but this kind of thing is out of her comfort zone. I do not think she will ever do anything like that again. She was there most of the day and only rode four rides. She did say that she was glad she went because if she hadn't gone and she had a crappy day she would have thought "I wish I had gone to The Magic Kingdom" and this way she can say she tried to make it a great day.

When she was a young girl Cha Cha went to Florida just about every year; her grandparents had retired to the Sunshine State. Now the Sunshine State has become one of the most violent and dangerous states in the country. Maybe it is because it is easier to be a more productive criminal if the weather is nice all year long. Maybe it is because people arrive in droves with all of their vacation money and their guards down. Perhaps it is an easier place to dispose of evidence with the everglades and being surrounded by water and alligators. I just searched for the most violent cities in America and Florida has 11 of the 100. Illinois only has four. I was surprised to see that Carbondale, IL (where Cha Cha and I went to college and where Splenda now lives) has the 82nd highest crime rate in the country. I am sure these figures are based on percentages of the populations. With over 30,000 incorporated cities and towns in the country that seems pretty significant. I guess we all just need to be vigilant all the time. I am always on guard wherever I go almost to a point of neurosis; it is just my nature.

I am really glad that Cha Cha comes home today; I really miss her. Except for the part where I have to clean up all of the messes we have made over the past week I am glad she will be here later today. I think of that episode of The Andy Griffith Show when Aunt Bea went to Raleigh or Siler City or someplace to visit someone and when she walked in the house it was spotless because Andy and Opie cleaned-up the disaster right before she got home. When she arrived and saw that it was neat she got sad because she felt like she wasn't needed so the boys snuck upstairs and made the biggest mess in Mayberry history. I think Cha Cha would be more stressed if the house was a mess than if it were spotless. Aunt Bea was just too needy.
I heard that the movie The Interview is coming out on DVD and streaming soon. That is the one that Kim Jong Un supposedly threatened everybody if the film came out and Sony Pictures decided not to send to theaters. I have believed since the beginning that the whole thing was a different way to publicize a film because most of the money is made these days in video and streaming. Talk about manipulating the media. I do not think if Kim Jong Un, Seth Rogen and James Franco all came to my house together and told me I was wrong I would even believe them. I would be looking for the hidden cameras for the further publicity they were seeking.

Speaking of movies - Fabio and I went to see American Sniper last night. In case you are not familiar it is about, you guessed it. and American sniper for the Navy SEALs. It was based on a true story; I usually like stories based on true stories and historical events. I realize that there is usually embellishment in these kinds of films but the public needs and wants those sorts of things. It was made by Clint Eastwood. I think he is kind of a nut but he sure has made a lot of great films as actor and director over the years.They do say that sanity and genius are very closely related. That is why I stay well within the non-genius range. Anyway, the film is very good. Bradley Cooper does an amazing job of playing Chris Kyle. I read an article where Chris Kyle's wife said that the movie "brought her husband back to life." I think there will be some Academy Awards attached to this film before all is said and done. We saw it at an IMAX theater so that even heightened the experience more. We have a premium theater about 45 minutes from us and we try to see movies there whenever we can. The place is amazing. It has a restaurant and a bar and you have big wide cushy chairs and tables at every seat. Buttons to call waitstaff to fetch you food and beverage or popcorn (slightly close to food) whenever you require them. Each seat even has its own ketchup, mustard, and salt and pepper dispensers. I did not see Grey Poupon, however.
Do you think Clint Howard and Clint Eastwood ever worked together?

Man, I sure do run-off at the fingertip don't I? Coincidentally, the washing machine is calling and telling me that it is time to start the next load. I am not really sure if today's blog is coherent as I have such a big todo list that my mind is going in 1000 different directions. I did say I would blog though so I blogged as promised. I do not think that I will blog tomorrow. Sadly, tonight is my Monday. I know that doesn't have anything to do with anything but that thought just popped into my head and quickly flowed to my fingertips. I hope you have a great weekend - I have other plans. Thank you for sticking with today's all-over-the-place blog. TTTMonday...MITM (Cinderella-ing out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment