Thursday, January 15, 2015

Friends Are Forever (and So Are Great Moms)

It is 0642 and I am blogging already; it must be that my weekend just began and I am not so worried about the sleep today. I will lie down right after I am done with this for four or five hours. Fabio has a half day of school today and he is off school tomorrow. I cannot find a flight that make financial sense so I will not be going to Florida today. I am kind of disappointed but I think Fabio and I may go to Dave & Busters when he gets off of school. I just checked their menu (a great trick if trying to lose weight) and they do not have even one salad on their menu. So, if we eat there, it comes down to Mango Citrus Shrimp Skewers or Cabo Chicken. I picture us eating somewhere else before we go there. I am not positive that is what we are even doing but he didn't seem against it. We will do something fun though.Hey, Fabio turns 18 one week from today. And then, exactly two weeks from that day, Splenda turns 23. Is it a coincidence that our anniversary is exactly nine months before these dates? Looks like April 30th is a pretty good day for me historically. We are going down (subtle pause) south to see her for her birthday for her birthday.

I have been very humbled that a couple of moms of some of my boyhood friends have complemented me quite a bit on the blog. I have known these ladies for most of my life; I have liked them both since I first met them so it really means a lot to me when they express such nice sentiments. I am going to just write their names and hope that they are prepared for the incredible fame that comes from being mentioned in such a world-wide sensation as Matt In The Middle. They are Delores Meyer and Dee Simpson.
I am the cute little one with the toothpick arms in front 

Mrs. Meyer has always been known as "Ma" by literally hundreds of people my age and slightly older. When I was in the Fox Valley Raiders she was one of the parents that made sure we looked presentable. I always remember her smile and laughter and big heart when she would help get us all uniformed-up. Before we moved to the house that my parents still live in today, about three blocks from the Meyer house, I had already spent the night at her house with her son Toby a few times. I think we lived in Plainfield when I would spend the night. I knew Boulder Hill pretty well even before we moved there. I am not saying that Toby and I snuck out of the house through the bedroom window and wandered around in the MIDDLE of the night or anything. We were like Tom and Huck minus the Mississippi and the raft and Injun Joe. Okay, we weren't much like Tom and Huck. Back in those days (the early-mid 1970's) it was much safer than it is today so you kids out there - don't try this today.

Mrs. Simpson is the mom of my best friend from high school, Scott Simpson. I would walk over to their house most every Thursday night (before we had our driver's licenses) and Scott and I and whoever else we could find would play poker in his bedroom and sometimes pool in the living room. I have loved poker pretty much all of my life - maybe this is where it all began? Mr. and Mrs. Simpson were always happy to see whoever came over. It was a warm inviting house and I always felt like I was part of the family.

I thought a lot about those days all night last night while I was working. I hadn't talked to Scott for many years but we touched base several months back after many, many years. Scott and I and Mike Bjork and Brian Olson all worked together when we were in high school. We worked in a shipping department of a toy manufacturer. One year (must have been 1980), about two days before Christmas, I got run over by a forklift and lost most of the big toe on my left foot. I never realized, until Scott and I communicated recently that he blamed himself for me losing my toe. I told him that I had never blamed him as I was the one to blame. I also told him that it was one of the top five best things that ever happened to me and it seriously is. Maybe he just wanted to take credit for that LOL. That was the moment that steered my life to where I am today. I kind of think of it as my It's a Wonderful Life moment. I had already signed-up for the U.S. Army and was even sworn-in. I was scheduled to ship-out to Fort McLellan in Alabama to become a military police officer right after we graduated. After getting my toe cut off the Army didn't want me anymore - RUDE! Anyway, after high school, now that I wasn't Army MATTerial, I headed to college to see what they knew and I met Miss Jill Butts. I was the hotshot News Editor of the college paper and she was a producer of the college television program. Luckily, I also freelanced as a television camera operator where she produced. And then this and that and this and that and we dated and transferred to Southern Illinois University together and then got hitched and had "produced"a baby named Chloe (Splenda) and then another one named Noah (Fabio). There are two lives that would not even have happened had I not gotten my toe cut-off. So, basically, without my toe getting chopped-off I may not be the happiest and luckiest boy in the world. I would have traded all of my toes for that.

Last night I wrote down so many fun things that I did with Scott and Mike and Brian and Max Hill and Shawn Fessenden back in the high school days.  Many times with all of us or any combination therewith. Man, I still love all of those guys even today despite the fact that we haven't seen each other in years. I am not sure if this is correct or it is just the way I remember it but, I think in the film Stand By Me, they say something like "you never have friends like that again." I have a few college buddies and a brother-in-law I would lump into that mix too. I just looked it up and the line is actually, "I never had friends later on like the ones when I had was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

Man, now it is 0816 already. I guess I am slow typist. I need to get some sleep. Mainly because I worked all night in the cold and I am sleepy. Thank you for the inspiration and the kind words Mrs. Meyer and Mrs. Simpson (even though I am old I'd have a hard time not calling you both Mrs. - I respect you both so much). You made great lasting impressions on a MIDDLE-aged kid when he was still a chronological kid. Thank you from stopping by and remember - It IS a wonderful life. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment