Monday, January 5, 2015

FEED THE BIRDS!!!!

It is beautiful outside with the white snow everywhere but, as they say, beauty is only skin deep. In this case that means that if you walk out into the beauty your skin will be frozen deep to the bone. The Weather Channel APP on my phone says that the windchill is all the way up to -15 degrees Fahrenheit (that is 15 degrees below zero) in my part of the MIDDLEwest right now at 1344. Last night, while I was working in the elements, the windchill got down to -25 degrees. For you in other parts of the world windchill is supposedly where the temperature equates-to when you calculate the air temperature with the wind speed. I was in a vehicle for almost the entire time but I still had to wear gloves occasionally even though I had the temperature as hot as it would go with the fan blowing 100%. Tonight it is supposed to get down to ONE degree with a 90% chance of snow (up to five inches predicted). I just hope the wind says down. Windchill seems even worse when I have snow blowing into my face. I wish I was like Jeff and had that nice built-in fur coat; since dogs have no exposed "skin" windchill does not effect them like it does we humans. Actually, he loves it outside this every time of year.

Speaking of Jeff - Cha Cha thinks he has epilepsy. There must be something in the very frigid air in this house. Ever since we has live with us (a couple of years now) he has done this thing sometimes when he gets up after lying down for a longer while. He gets up and kind of hunches up and starts shaking like he is having an epileptic seizure. I have seen epileptic seizures in humans but I never really put that together. I figured it was just growing pains or cramps from being balled-up while he was sleeping. I am still not convinced it is epilepsy  but that is what the internet tells her. Why would it only happen after he gets-up? I just looked online and it says,"if left untreated the seizures may become more severe or more frequent. Are you serious? Was I Florence Nightingale in a former life? Was I put here to care for man and beast? It also says that in younger dogs, like Jeff, the treatment responds better to medication.
Feed the birds, Tuppence a bag
We feed the birds every day. We do it all-year long. The birds sure do eat a lot more when it is this cold outside. I feel it is very important because the birds that are stupid and stay here rather than going south for the winter would not make it if the food wasn't available free at the drive-up fly-up window for them. We literally do have the feeder right outside one of our windows. We removed the screen so we just open the window and fill the feeder. It also makes it easy to watch the birds too. It's important to keep birds happy because they used to be the dinosaurs and if they ever figure out how to get back to that I want them to remember that we have always been nice to them. All of the Mary Poppins and Saving Mr. Banks things over the past month have made the fact that we do this even better. Almost every time I feed them now I have that song Feed the Birds running through my head. Julie Andrews sure could sing couldn't she?! She probably still can but I haven't heard her new album yet.

Tonight is my Wednesday already. Then, tomorrow, I work at 1800 rather than 2200 as usual. We are having some training while most of our customers are out of town. I missed some training while I was saving Cha Cha's life over the last couple of months. The training I missed was mainly about customer service. I think that was okay for me to miss since I could easily teach customer service at the college level with all of the experience and training I have had in my long, boring life. So, that means Wednesday morning I get off work at 0200 instead of 0600 and then don't have to be back to work my Friday 20 hours later. And I wonder why my internal clock is screwed-up so often.

I just checked my notes and I wrote: even with the really cold temperature last night I saw a guy walking with his "draws" (underwear / drawers) showing with his belt wrapped around his thighs walking down the sidewalk. I thought about calling medics to check his mental capacity to see if we should lock him up for the night. Other than the obvious lack of intelligence he appeared otherwise normal so I just let him literally freeze his butt off. Talking to him would have meant having to get out into the cold or at the very least rolling the window down. Do you know how long it takes to get it warm back in there once you open a door or a window?

Cha Cha went back into her office today. She works from home most of the time but, since she is released to go back to work today she needed to go in and get caught-up on things. One of the coldest days of the years is probably not one of the best days to go in but she took the vehicle with remote start. Well, I have to go feed the birds now since I have them on my mind and their feeder is empty. I also need to get some laundry done and unload the dishwasher that I loaded when I got home from work this morning. All so I can fill it again tomorrow morning and do the next load of laundry. It is nice to be back to work so I can wear my uniforms again and get them dry-cleaned at no cost to me.

Thank you for stopping by. Stay warm tonight unless you are somewhere near the equator then - stay cool. I would stay warm tonight but I have other plans! TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment