Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My Inner Media Whore is Simultaneously Disappointed and Proud

My inner media whore is disappointed and proud all at the same time
It was really nice getting off work at 0400 rather than 0600. I am not sure if it would make much of a difference or if it would be so great if it were a regular thing or it was just because it was like a gift. I still worked my eight hours and, if that were my normal shift, I would probably not like going in at 2000 rather than 2200. It is noon now and I feel pretty rested for a change. That may not be the time thing rather working in extreme cold weather. Either way, for a change, I do not feel tired; it has been a long time. I won't get used to it but I will appreciate it while it is here.

I just received a message from a French journalist named Anthony Mansuy who works for an online magazine called Kobini UK ("five million monthly viewers" he tells me). I figured that they have read the blog and wanted to put me on staff because of my genius, insightful and superb writing but I was incorrect (AGAIN). He says he is working on a profile of Bob Odenkirk because of his upcoming AMC series Better Call Saul based on the titular (that is one of my favorite words) character from Breaking Bad. He found that I had worked with Odenkirk at our college radio station (WIDB) at Southern Illinois University and wants to know what he was like back in day. "His personality, that kind of thing..." he says. I have mixed feelings about this. I did know and worked with Odenkirk but I did not know him really well. I have a few things that people would probably find funny, entertaining and interesting but, though I pretend to be and think myself a media whore sometimes, I checked-out Kobini as I had never heard of it and it seems to be kind of tabloidy. I think Matt In The Middle seems more professional than the site I saw. It looks kind of flashy and in-your-face to me; kind of like TMZ here in America. I suppose that is not fair; I am basing my opinion on American journalism and culture and I do know that many European publications are like this. Cultural differences... often make things difficult to compare. I am flattered that he would contact me but I do not want to be a hypocritical whore; not on purpose anyway. I cannot stand the reality shows and people who are famous just for just being famous; I would rather just remain little old middle Matt In The Middle than to compromise my values and morals. This may be opportunity knocking for me but, in times like this, I often think WWGBD? What would George Bailey do? Is it odd to consult fictional characters when making decisions? I can think of LOTS of fictional characters (in my opinion) that LOTS of people "speak to" every day so I think I just answered my own question. Now, do I respond to Mansuy or just ignore his message? I immediately am thinking of one of Odenkirk's characters (Dickie Crickets) from his show Mr. Show and think I will just send a message back and politely decline being interviewed (because of David Cross' character Kid Jersey) -"He was polite!" As a person who has worked for several newspapers, an NBC affiliate television news program, a couple of magazines and a podcast I was never offended by the "no comment" response or someone not wanting to be interviewed. Disappointed often but never offended. Incidentally, I think Mr. Show was one of the funniest shows ever produced.

See how things in one's day can just change where things go? I sure didn't plan on blogging about that when I woke-up this morning afternoon. Tonight is my Friday and then Cha Cha and I head back to The Second City again tomorrow for more hospital stuff. She is having her stent removed. It should be very routine but, as we have found out by the liver biopsy that nearly killed her, nothing is 100% routine. This should be a much more enjoyable trip than most of the previous ones.

I just fed the birds for the second time today; they eat much more seed when it is so cold outside and the ground is covered in snow because there is far less food for them to forage. Now, every time I fill the feeder and sprinkle seed on the ground, I have the song Feed The Birds running though my head (and sometimes out of my mouth). Of course my mind and mouth both have British accents when I sing this song. I didn't link the song this time but, if you want to hear it, go to the blog from January 5th and click the red link.

I have to get some things done around the house before settling down for a short winter's nap before work. I have not checked the weather for tonight but, compared to working in the elements last night, I am pretty-much winterized and can handle anything. Thanks a lot for stopping by. This is not the blog I had envisioned writing but the French press decided to dictate what I wrote today. I do thank the French for: french bread, french fries, french kissing, the Statue of Liberty (a couple I want to mention but will refrain)... okay, that is where my mind turned dirty and I will end. Stay warm if you are in the MIDDLEwest here. And stay happy no MATTer where you are. TTTT (most likely as it may be a busy day)...MITM (out) Au revior!

No comments:

Post a Comment