Friday, January 16, 2015

I Feel Good. Like I Knew That I Would Now!

I am a purist. But I could own this game if I wanted to!
I am sad that I didn't go to Florida and I am happy all at the same time. Wow, I have to interrupt myself to tell you this - I am watching Driving Miss Daisy as I write this and right as I typed the word "Florida" Esther Rolle appeared on the screen. She played "Florida" Evans on Good Times and on Maude. Sometimes I wish my brain didn't do that thing where I jump all over inside my noodle. It is like I have a game show going on inside my mind all the time. Anyway, now I will return you back to your regularly scheduled blog... I miss Cha Cha a great deal but I do believe it is good for couples to be apart from time to time no MATTer how famously they might get along. We need to have time to be individuals as well as couples. It was nice to spend a day with just Fabio (Noah) though. We went to Dave & Buster's as planned and had a great day. Most of the kids in the world did not have a half-day of school yesterday so the place was very quiet. We ordered lunch and played many many games while we waited for our food. I would estimate that we played no less than 30 - 40 games. I think he beat me at all but maybe two of those games. Well, and the ones where we played as teammates against terrorists and the like. One of the two I beat him at was a game where you knock little cats or something down off a shelf with balls you threw at them. You may have seen this game in films when they'd show old time carnivals. The other game I was about perfect at was a Beer Pong game. I have only played Beer Pong one time in my life but, back in my college days, I was really really really good at Quarters. I was approached to be on the Olympic Quarters Team before they eliminated that event from the Olympics. For you youngsters out there Quarters was like the early version of Beer Pong before some people figured that there was no money to be made in a game when all that was required was a glass, a beverage and a quarter. Someone (probably somebody in a business school at some university) decided to change the game to make a buck and now Quarters is all but forgotten.

I mentioned yesterday that I would have a difficult time finding something healthy to eat there but I was wrong. They did not have their entire menu on their website and, as it turns out, they have several salads and low-calorie, low fat options. I had something called Cabo Chicken and it was very good (at least as good as you could hope for at a bar disguised as a circus).
Minnesota Fats waiting for his next shot. That is if  I give him another shot!

On the way out we noticed all of the pool tables at the exit. I asked the guy behind the counter about playing and it was $8 an hour so we took off our coats and played some pocket billiards. I  have not played in years but, back a long long time ago, I was fairly good. We had a pool table in our home for most of my childhood (before Quarters was even invented) so I played a lot. I even played billiards against great Minnesota Fats one time. If you are not familiar with Minnesota Fats you are probably very young - he WAS pool back in the day. Movies were made based on his persona. I met Fats one time in a saloon (that sounds fancier than using the word "bar" when you talk about "back in the day"). I sat at the bar and bought him a few drinks and talked to him for over an hour. He was full of stories - many of which I believe were made-up or, at the very least, embellished upon. In fact, I played pool against the great Minnesota Fats. It was billed as Fats vs. Matt (that part I just now made up and it is a lie but the drinking with him and buying him drinks and playing pool against him parts are true). You didn't know that I am the guy that they based Forest Gump on did you? It isn't hard to believe when you consider his mental faculties though does it? I will find a photo and add it here. Anyway, Fabio had never played pool before. I told him the basics and coached him as we went. Turns out that I am a much better coach than I am a player as he beat me two out of three games. I am thinking about opening a Quarters and Billiards coaching service.
I'm a warm-hearted person who'll love him 'til the end 

On the way home from Dave and Busters we stopped at the Chicago Outlet Mall and spent a lot of time in the Nike store and quite a few other places. Fabio got several things (shoes, sweatshirts,T-shirts...) and I got a bag of socks. I am so glad he has a job and his own money now. I am really MIDDLEaged I realize more and more every day. At least my socks don't have those little suspender deals yet. I guess they are specifically garters but we all know that is a fancy name for suspenders. I am okay with that though. In fact, I kind of like it. Today Fabio has one exam and he will be home before noon. I think we may go to a movie and lunch when he gets home. We are leaning toward seeing American Sniper.

I will be right back. The dryer just stopped and I want to start another load and fold the clothes before they wrinkle.

I must say that I have felt great for the last week or so. I didn't realize that I had been feeling lethargic and run-do until I don't feel that way. No, I do not feel better because Cha Cha is out of town - shame on you for even suggesting that! In fact, I will be even better when she is home. I feel good now because I have been eating better. I think I must have food allergies too. I have not been stuffed-up for that same week. Before that I was congested every single day; I doubt that is a coincidence. I know that I have problems with caffeine and rarely have I done caffeine over the past couple of years (I do miss the part where it keeps me awake though). I think it kind of stinks that there are never any diet beverage choices without caffeine at restaurants; I usually drink water. So, my body is telling me to keep doing what I am doing and I will listen for as long as my will will will me that way.

Thank you for coming by today. You mean so much to me. I am going to get a few more things done before Fabio gets home from his two finals and he and I go gallivanting again. Who knows maybe we will end up playing two-on-two against Jordan and Pippin today? I hope you have a great day and a great night. I am 68% sure I will blog again tomorrow; I am totally addicted to blogging right now. TTTT (68%)...MITM (out) 100% TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment