Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Trip to "America's Hometown"

I'm back home. I never left the MIDDLEwest though I did get a little wester. You may or may not know or remember but Sugar Momma is working on her Masters' Degree and taking classes at Western Illinois University. Apparently they have a good Masters' Program for her major. Though a lot of the course is done online she has to go there now and then. So, since there were no events that I was scheduled to work this weekend she asked if I would chauffeur her there. I must admit that I'm an excellent driver driver. Also, Nature Girl and gang live there. And, it's only a little over an hour to "America's Hometown" Hannibal, Missouri. Traveling the MIDDLEwest with 3/4 of my family, getting to see some good friends, staying in a hotel (which I love), visiting one of my Shangri La's and get a lot to blog about.

I got Sugar Momma to class Friday with nine minutes to spare. We left with plenty of time to get there but with the Matt In The Middle Fuel Spill Incident that I blogged you about yesterday and then misreading my sexton and winding up a bit of course it required quite a bit of 90+ mph driving (allegedly). We dropped her off and went and checked into the hotel and then went to our friends' house. We visited while the kids played outside (Tom & Huck style) then they took us to dinner. After dinner we went back to their house and had a bon fire until Sugar Momma texted me to pick her up at 9:30 (we were there at 9:30 but waited in the car until 10:00 rrrrrrrrrr).

In the morning I dropped Sugar Momma off at 8:00, went back to get Sparky and check out of the hotel and then headed for the Mighty Mississip. We arrived in Hannibal around 10:00AM. We walked around town visiting most shops looking for a restroom. We walked down by The Big Muddy and talked about barges and berms and breaker walls. We decided to head toward the lighthouse. We walked to the stairs past the Tom & Huck statue climbed up the 213 stairs Sparky counted (355 steps Roz counted because you do have to cross some flat areas between stairs) and made it to the lighthouse and the breathtaking views of The Old Man. We went back down and walked past Mark Twain's house and the whitewash fence. We saw Becky Thatcher's house, the Justice of the Peace's office / jail, Huck Finn's house...

This blog is getting away from me like a runaway raft. I have so much more I want to blog about like the cemetery (I'm sure you're not surprised) that Sparky and I hunted down...and it was an adventure just finding the cemetery. It's getting too long (TWSS) so I am going to have to wrap it up. Tomorrow I will blog you about the Old Baptist Cemetery and Mark Twain Cave. I will add a photo of one of the coolest headstones I have seen because of it's significance and I will tell you about it tomorrow. Edge of your seat? I will probably get back on the schedule of doing it later tonight now that I'm home. Enjoy your nice fall Sunday...I'll blog you later tonight. TTTT (the last T is for "tonight" instead of "tomorrow" this time)...MITM! I also remembered to take a photo (s) of those huge gourd's a Nature Girl's house and will add them tonight too.

No comments:

Post a Comment