Thursday, September 9, 2010

Like It Isn't Scary Enough Without Naming it BLOOD'S POINT!

(Cue the theme music - stuck in the middle with you begins...)

Friday is upon us and that means I get to work two football games in the next two days. Though I am happy to work the next two days I am kind of disappointed that I don't get to see Splenda. SIU is playing U of I in Champaign. We have tickets but I need to work when I can so I am not going. My alma mater is gonna beat Illinois and I am going to miss it. Sugar Momma and Mary (MADYM) are going so they get to see Splenda who is taking the train up from Carbondale with her roommate. Parents' weekend is next month so I will make sure not to sign-up to work that weekend.

Today I did my civic duty and gave plasma and then did what I said I was going to do. I went to Bloods Point Cemetery. It only took about twenty minutes to get there. It is just south of Belvidere and just north of Kirkland. It was literally in the MIDDLE of nowhere. The road wasn't even marked by a sign (Bloods Point Road). It was off of Pearl Street Road. I thought about my fascination of cemeteries on the way there and thought how ironic it is that I want to be cremated and set free in the ocean when I love cemeteries so much. As far as cemeteries this one is about as creepy as they come. I went during the morning but I know this would be scary at night. It has corn fields on two sides, there is a house directly to the north and a farm across the street to the east. I heard weird noises the whole time I was there but that's because it was so quite in the MIDDLE of the corn fields with no traffic...where no one can hear you scream. Directly to the east (right next to the fence on the east) were cows just lying there watching me the whole time. I thought about the different cultures that think of cows as sacred. They were nice to me because they could sense that I wouldn't eat them being a vegetarian and all. Anyway, there are at least 20 tombstones that have totally or partially fallen over, there are holes around some of the tombstones like someone is trying to get out, there are sounds coming from the corn fields like cawing, you can hear the flies buzzing around. At one point I heard what sounded like a metal washtub or something coming from the cornfield to the south when there was clearly no way there could be a metal item out there. Shortly after that I heard a milk pail sound to the west...again impossible because it was all forest and field that way. There were several monuments that looked like trees that had smaller tombstones that looked like stumps to show that childrens' lives had been cut short. There was a sign that a tree there was a sappling from a tree George Washinton donated but it was an electrical pole. There was also a plaque of a person buried there was the daughter of a Revolutionary War soldier. If it had been night I may have pulled a Scooby and Shaggy and headed for The Mystery Machine. I tried to find a pattern to the toppled tombstones. some are in a straight line and then there is one corner of the cemetery that had a bunch knocked over. The cemetery was mowed and maintained so why don't they fix the tombstones? If someone wants to go there with me after dark some night I will go. I am never disrespectful in cemeteries (maybe lying on Poe's grave was but it wasn't meant disrespectful). I think maybe they just like people to come visit them once in awhile. I may go back to this one and make a map of the tombstones to try to figure out a pattern. There are some sites about this cemetery on the internet saying that it's haunted; they may be right in this case. I will put all of the photos I took on my Facebook page.

for diner tonight I made fish and potato salad. I put on my Facebook page that I needed a hammer for dinner. did anyone figure out why? I made coconut bread pudding for dinner. I need the hammer to break open the coconut. If you guessed coconut you are the big (MIDDLE) winner of the day. Tell them what they've won Johnny...they get a mention in the next Matt In The Middle blog (what a fabulous prize). I had coconut bread pudding at 50 Men That Cook and have been meaning to try my hand at this so today I did...holy moley is it awesome. It took me like 90 minutes to make it (a lot of that time was cook time though) but holy moley.

Alright, I went on about the cemetery so much that I don't have time (well I could but you wouldn't want to read that much at one time) to blog everything that I wanted to blog today. Come back tomorrow; I have plenty more to tell you. Tomorrow's blog will either be earlier or later because I am working a night game. Probably later in case something amazing happens at work. Have a great Friday...Blog you later Lord or Lordess Darth Vader. TTTT.

(cue the music and fade to black....)

3 comments:

  1. I think I will go to this cemetery!!! Not at night! I'd wet myself! Thanks for sharing it with us. I never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cemeteries have always been cool places for me. You should check out some of the Italian cemeteries near Chicago.

    On another note... Every time I hear that Stealers Wheel song you're using for a theme I think of a certain scene in Reservoir Dogs. Later, Chief

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go at night Donna!

    Me to Brian. Every time I like the video I always think about using the Reservoir Dogs version. Maybe next time I will just for you!

    ReplyDelete