Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm Sittin' in a Honky in Chicago

cue the theme of the day

Sugar Momma and I went to Starved Rock State Park Sunday afternoon for the 2010 Vintage Illinois @ Starved Rock wine tasting. Starved Rock is a little over an hour south of us but it is a nice drive past dozens of wind turbines and Wild Bill Hickock's birthplace (Troy Grove, Illinois). You didn'tknow he was a MIDDLEwesterner did you? I told you before but your probably forgot. We got down there a little after noon and stayed for a couple of hours tasting wines and meads (I had always wanted to try mead). I may join the Wild Blossom Mead Club. Mead is wine made from honey rather than grapes. It is what Friar Tuck was making in the movie Robin Hood which is coming out on DVD this week (ca-ching for the plug). You can read my Robin Hood movie review over there ----> in the margin by looking at "past blogisodes" and going to March 16, 2010's blog. Anyway, the wine tasting was fun. The tents even reminded me of Robin Hood because they were near the forest and the whole atmosphere was like one of those Renaissance Faires. We saw our friend Shari there amongst the hundreds of people. I don't know if she reads this blog but, "HI SHARI, YOU LOOK GREAT!" It's odd...I seem to know someone wherever I go. I love that! Not that it MATTers because I ignore my parents and talk to strangers anyway.

We met some people from wineries near Southern Illinois University so when Parents' Weekend arrives we know where to go. We even got some information on Bed and Breakfasts at Wineries that we might check out. So, besides increasing our antioxidants and getting buzzed for our hour's drive home we also are finding cool places to stay. One of the funny things about this festival was that they had these tables where the tabletops were probably about four feet off the ground but they had regular chairs so when you sat on the chairs you would rest your chin on the tables. They had a great big band out there too and a huge stage. I wish they had had rum and tequila but I am trying to get on board with this wine deal; Little Ole Drinker Me! I like the sweet, fruity wines. I guess we stick to our own kind when it comes to wines huh?

Next weekend is another wine festival but this one is in Quincy, Illinois. You probably remember I blogged about it a couple of months ago and told you how much I love Hannibal, Missouri and thought I would really like to go to this wine tasting. Well, Sugar Momma and her friends are going to go there for the weekend. I just got back from the East Coast trip so I can't feel jealous but I am. I really love Hannibal and I have wanted to go there again all summer. That damn fence needs whitewashing again and it's not gonna whitewash itself. I know darn-well that these ladies aren't gonna do it. So, I guess I am free this coming weekend if someone wants to kidnap me. We could just HAPPEN to go to the Quincy wine festival too.

Whatever happened to Colorforms? Remember those where you "stuck" the people and vehicles and stuff on the the scenes and could take them off and put them on again later? That, Etch-A-Sketch and Spiro Graph were our computers I guess.

I just heard an owl just outside of my office window. There it goes again. Is that a sign of something other than I live in the MIDDLE of nowhere and there's an owl outside my window? It IS really quiet outside tonight so that was really cool. There it goes again but it's a bit further away now. It probably knows that I'm The Bird Whisperer and he/she needs me to get a message to someone. Maybe Harry Potter. It could be Morse Code....there it is again...."whoo ha whoo whoo" and again "whoo ha whoo whoo ha whoo." Now I have to learn Morse Code too? I know S.O.S.. The "whoo" is probably the dash and the "ha" is probably the dot. That's the first time I've ever heard an owl here...we've had foxes. Noah's Ark is slowly coming to fruition. What the heck is a cubit and where can I get gopher wood?

It been about twenty minutes since I first hear the owl and now there are three of them and they are hooting almost non-stop. One is really close to the house. Maybe they are planning a coup. It's like they're talking to one another and I had the wine last about seven hours ago so the answer to your question is "NO!" And I'm not nuts either...well, not when it comes to this anyway. If I do figure out how to talk to them I have but one question..."how many licks DOES it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?" If I were nuts would I know it? Hey, how come there are so many synonyms for being crazy that have to do with food? You're nuts, bananas, crackers, out of your gourd...

Alright enough already. I wish I could photograph the owls but it's dark and I am not sure where they are out there and I know if I went outside they'd see me and I wouldn't see them and they'd just be quiet so when I am done here I am going to turn off the light and listen for a while. I'll tell you what they have to say tomorrow. Have as good of a Monday as you can and I will blog your ear (eyes) off again tomorrow. Blog you again then...your bestest buddy and big toe, Matt In The Middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment