Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Most Interesting Man in the World!

It's starting off as a rainy day in the Middlewest. It fits my personality this morning. I'm mopey and tired. I feel like one of the planets that the Sun is trying to get happy with a good breakfast. I am eating a SmartOnes (ca-ching) breakfast sandwich (egg, cheese and Canadian bacon on an English muffin - sound familiar?) hoping that works for me too...that crazy old sun. We had a late game last night and I have been sleeping worse than normal for the last five days or so . I think it's mostly because of the sunburn but it really doesn't hurt anymore.

We won our baseball game last night. I was happy to win against one of the other two teams from Dekalb. I really wanted to win this game because this is one of the teams in the league that seems to put winning ahead of everything else. In our league we play nine players in the field and have the option of batting all 14 of our players (I think I told you about this before). They are the only team in the league that we have played so far that only bat nine of their guys. Presumably doing this so they have only their best players hitting. The coaches of this team are college kids and not fathers so they are still a little more competitive than they will be when they get to their Middle years. There are still times, of course, when we're still extremely competitive in the Middle Ages. It doesn't seem less when we get older but it is actually reduced believe it or not. When I asked the other coach about it at the pre-game meeting with the umpire he said "oh well...they have to start getting used to it." Later in the game, since they only give us the nine players on the field, they are supposed to let us know of their substitutions. They made changes to their line-up and didn't tell us. I brought this to the umpire's attention and he made them update us with their changes. In my opinion, the only reason to not tell us is to cheat. I was happy to beat this team. I guess I am still more competitive than I let on.

It's different coaching this year than in previous years. Firstly, the rules are different in Pony League than they are in lower age-level leagues because the next step is high school baseball but the biggest difference is the fans. These boys are thirteen and fourteen years old and there are thirteen and fourteen year old girls hanging around behind our dugout. These guys have groupies or whatever PC term can be used for opposite-gender fans at this age. Baseball Annie's maybe? Sometimes I have to tell them to move on but most of the time it's fine. Last night, before the game, there were extra people in our dug-out and I had to tell them that they had to leave the dugout. I guess some of our players got in trouble by their parents during the game being asked, "are you here to play baseball or flirt with girls?" I was told of this later. There is so much going on during the game that I miss a lot of this kind of side-fun. I doubt that I will coach again next year; I have put in my twenty years.

This flirting talk makes me think of Charlie Sheen. Have we returned to the 1920's and 1930's when it's okay for men to treat women however they want and still be in favor? How can he behave this way over and over and still be popular? I must admit that I watch "Two and a Half Men" occasionally. I had watched it regularly for a while but the entire show is non-stop sex jokes with really no plot-point. It grew very tiresome for me. So, it's a reprehensible show starring a person who assaults women so I am calling for a boycott of "Two and a Half Men." I also heard they are doing a re-make of "Wall Street" starring Shia Labeouf which I originally thought was ridiculous but now I am all for it so we can have one less thing we have to see Charlie Sheen in. Demeaning and abusing women (or anyone) is not funny. Are we regressing as a society (he asked rhetorically)? Roscoe "Fatty" Arbukle's career never recovered from alleged behavior like this and he was found innocent of the charges against him. I always thought a movie about "Fatty" Arbuckle would be good and I had heard about 15 years or so ago that Louie Anderson was pushing a movie about "Fatty" but I never heard anything else about it. The trial alone would be a great film. Louie, I'm in...give me a call babe!

Last night the mosquitoes were terrible. So now my body is sunburned and riddled by mosquito bites. When I say "riddled by" I mean people seeing me and asking "what disease do you think that red bumpy man has?" I look like an Oompah Loompah for the visually impaired. I had forgotten how much I love certain parts of summer. Just like everything you have to take the bad with the good.

I used to talk a lot more than I do now. I used to think I was interesting and people were interested in what I had to say...a common mistake of youth. As I get Middler I realize that I am not that interesting so I don't talk as much. So, if you are with me and I'm not talking much and you ask yourself "self, what's wrong with Matt?" just know that it is nothing you have done or said he's just not that interesting. When I drink I still talk a lot because alcohol makes me more interesting. I become like a Chia Matt just add alcohol and watch him become interesting. I should blog drunk because at least then you can log off and not listen to my rambling.

It's Wednesday already which is good for you because it's closer to the weekend. Have a great day and I will blog you tomorrow hopefully not so mopey. Stay thirsty my friends (ca-ching)...now log off!

** pony league baseball stolen from batplaza.com because I was too lazy to go take a photo, roscoe arbuckle mugshot assaulted from law.umkc.edu & the most interesting man in the world photo drawn free-hand by me, my friends from idology.wordpress.com **

No comments:

Post a Comment