Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Buffet

I spent the morning with my dad on Father's day. He has always been an inspiration to me. He has dedicated his life to his family and friends. I try to emulate him in this respect but I cannot live up to his example. I feel I may be about 80% the father he is but even that is pretty darn good. That gives me something more to strive for.

We went over to my parents' house and it turns out there is not a Ruby Tuesday's by their house. It is a TGI Friday's; just three days apart. So, we decided to go to the Ruby Tuesday out at Westfield Shopping Center (formerly Fox Valley Mall). The website said there was brunch there and they opened at 9:00 on Sundays. Turns out, contrary to their website information, they actually open at 11:00 (we were there at 9:35) so there was no brunch. We decided to eat at Old Country Buffet. The word "buffet" alone can be very stressful for a mentally-obese person. I ended up doing fine. I had a salad and oatmeal. Then I went back up for some baked fish and one slice of roast beef and a dry baked potato with salsa. I also had Sprite Zero. I was pretty proud that I could navigate my way through the buffet mine field without detonating. Before I started packing my plate I walked around the entire buffet area checking out all of the selections making mental notes. I actually treated it like a sport and came up with my game-plan. Then, after knowing my opponent and the field of play, I was able to win the battle. Planning is huge in weight-loss, excercise and maintenance I am finding.

I got a bruised arm passing a Volkswagen dealership on the way back from breakfast...darn Slug Bugs!

Last night Sugar Momma and I met some friends in downtown Dekalb for a pig roast at a pub (if this was Facebook I would "like" pubs). $5.00 all you can eat pig and $1 sides (I had corn on the cob without butter and cole slaw). I am not huge on pig so I had little pork (resisting); we just wanted to go out. I saw a woman that I saw every Monday, Wednesday and Friday when I was working out at a public gym. I always noticed her because every time I saw here I thought she looked exactly like Bo Derek and Linda Evans. She was at the pub last night and I found out who she is. She actually does star in feature films. Yes, Cindy Crawford is from Dekalb, but it was not her this time. I had heard that this woman is from here and lives here though I was not, and still am not, familiar with her work. We have a real adult entertainment star living in Dekalb. I had my camera in my pocket but I hate the paparazzi so I resisted. She even knew someone at our table and came (TWSS - could not resist any longer) over to our table for awhile. Maybe I should track her down and see about some work...talk about humorous anecdotes about being unemployed.

I was saddened to hear that former NBA basketball star Manute Bol died at 47. I always admired him for the way he made it out of an impoverished country (Sudan) and made a difference by donating much of his NBA salary to his war-torn country and visiting refugee camps to lift spirits and give hope to his homeland. Manute means "special blessing" in his native language and I believe he was just that to thousands of people in his native country.

Today was Paraguay vs. Slovakia and Brazil vs. Côte d’Ivoire. Another reason to like World Cup Soccer - geography lessons! Côte d’Ivoire is a country in Africa that we commonly call the Ivory Coast. Supposedly the Republique de Côte d’Ivoire is the country with the most children in the world and cocoa is their primary export. Sounds like a fun place to film the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" remake (you know it's inevitable that there will be one since it's easier to remake a film than come up with an original idea).

I know I promised my meaning of my fish hook necklace but I will get to that tomorrow; I 75% promise. I hope everyone had a nice Father's Day and especially my proud friend Brian who is in San Diego visiting his son who just "officially" became a U.S. Marine - "OORAH!" I love when they say that in movies. Blog you again tomorrow...enjoy whatever it is that you enjoy! Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment