Sunday, June 27, 2010

Happy Belated Flag Day!

Well, it's Sunday. I am starting to think of it more as Sun(burn)day. My shoulders hurt, my shins hurt, my cheeks hurt and my thighs hurt. I still love the sun but I didn't give it the respect it deserves and it reminded me of how insignificant I am.

We are supposed to go to IKEA (ca-ching) today. It sounded like a great idea yesterday when I agreed but that was before the sunburn made my body feel like it was being shrunk by a tribe of Jivaroans. I like IKEA because there is great people-watching there and they have the most unique items at reasonable prices. I also like to walk and it is a pretty large place so there is a lot of walking. Incidentally, if you go to IKEA in the Chicagoland area go to the one in Schaumburg rather than the one in Bolingbrook...no comparison at all...Schaumburg's is twenty times better. Sugar Momma and I went for a walk last night but it may be different today as I already hear thunder rumbling off in the distance so IKEA would be a walking alternative.

When we walked last night we walked by the lake and stream that I like to call a channel and we stopped and watched a baby beaver (I assume he was a baby because he was very small) chew a stalk of grass off in the middle of the channel and swim it to shore and then drag it up on shore and eat it. The other night on the way home from one of my son's baseball games at 11:00 at night we drown down the main road of town (Lincoln Highway) and we saw a doe (a deer, a female deer) eating grass in the front yard of a house right by Northern Illinois University. There is a lot of farmland open around us so I don't feel like we're encroaching on them I just feel they are becoming more comfortable with us which will probably be their detriment. Maybe they just know that I am a new vegetarian or can sense my love of nature and know I would never hurt them; they say animals have a sixth-sense. I love that we have birds and rabbits (they really do multiply - lucky rabbits) and ducks...in our yard. (wow, I had so many bad jokes to insert here but I try to keep this blog PG-rated)

I have a Swiss Army backpack. What's the deal with the Swiss Army? They are a neutral nation so I am guessing if you're going to be in an army that's the one to be in. They are kind of like the American Peace Corps really I think. They do humanitarian and peacekeeping missions throughout the world. They sure do have a nice backpack and that knife, wow! I have been a fan of that knife for my entire life. Mini tweezers and a plastic toothpick and a saw...it was a young boy's Wii back in the 70's.

I know I watch too much television but with the invention of the DVR (digital video recorder) it doesn't take away from our lives. My college major was Radio-Television (journalism minor) so with my blog and my college major I will call it research now. Thanks to the DVR we can watch all of our shows in the MIDDLE of the night when we cannot sleep which is most nights for me. So, anywhooo, have you seen Shatner's Raw Nerve with William Shatner on Bio Channel? When I have worked on newspapers I always prided myself as a good interviewer because I am a good listener and I actually am interested in what people have to say (well, not all people). Bill Shatner is an amazing interviewer. Granted, I watch the episodes where he is interviewing people I find interesting but he is fantastic at listening and knowing how to get these people to open up. I was never a Star Trek fan or a T.J. Hooker fan or a Boston Legal fan but I have always got a good vibe from Shatner. I know there have been some questionable things said about his life but I take all of those things with a gain of salt as we would all have questionable things and controversies mentioned of our lives if we were under the media/entertainment microscope 24/7. I think I'd like to get Bill Shatner on Helser's Blog Nerve! If you get a chance check out his show.

I didn't intend for this blog to become flag day (maybe World Cup Soccer's fault) but that's how I blog...I start with one thing and I don't know where it's going to go. I just hold on and hope my typing fingers can keep up. My blog "is like a box of chocolates"; it's usually full of nuts and fruits and those chewy things that aren't your favorites but there are usually some of those peanut butter cup dealies that you really like so then you keep coming back to the blog box. Then later you brush your teeth and there is a piece of coconut stuck in there and you think about it again. I hope I give you more of the pieces you like rather than the ones you don't. I appreciate you keep popping the lid off the box everyday and letting me entertain you, I truly do appreciate you. Now go take a Rolaids Chew (ca-ching)!

Blog you tomorrow!

** swedish flag captured from viget.com, swiss flag peagfully taken from agrino.org and federation flag beamed ablog from daymix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment