Friday, August 3, 2018

Related to Andrew Taylor (wow)!

I cannot believe it is 18:32 already. It seems like  yesterday's blog was just written today. I must be busier, or more bored with being laid-up,

Yesterday my I went up to Rockford with my dad for the funeral visitation for my second cousin Mike. I had not seen him, and most of that part of the family, for some time though a few of them did come to my mom's funeral. It was a very touching to hear all of the wonderful things about Mike. It was also very nice to see his siblings and meet his son who, I guess, is my third cousin. The minister/priest (whatever he was) who spoke at the gathering reminded me, in so many ways, of the priest in the film Gran Torino.  He (Walt Kowolski/Eastwood) told Father Janovic that he "know(s) nothing about life or death because I (the Father) was an over-educated, 27-year-old virgin who held the hand of superstitious old women and promised them eternity." If you haven't seen that movie I suggest it; it's one of my favorites. I would say I watch it about once a month or so. It says so many things about racism and our melting pot and I see many comparisons to what is going-on in our country right now. Remember, however, that I over-think almost everything.The film is currently on Netflix or I can lend you the DVD. I used Netflix this time.

The visitation started at 19:00 so my dad picked me up at (wait for it....) 16:00. I had no idea that we were leaving so long before the thing started. In the extra three hours that we had in Rockford before the the gathering we went to Harlem Cemetery in Loves Park to visit my mom's grave site. We walked around the entire cemetery (a small cemetery) maybe two times. I was picking a lot of grass out of my Darth Vader boot off-and-on all day today. We are related to almost all of the people in that cemetery. I took photos of all of the different names on the tombstones and grave markers. I hope to try to work on the family tree with this information. It was weird standing with my father over his grave site. He already has his name carved on the tombstone and I just have to add his closing date when he is gone. He just wants me to add a plaque or something about him being in the Unites States Army. Of course, I will do that if I out-live him. If not, it is on you Marc!

It was very nice seeing many family members that I had not seen in years. I was always really happy to see my aunt Linda and Uncle Rick.

My dad went up to the funeral today but I did not go with him as my legs are really bothering me. The one (right), of course, has the torn Achilles tendon so it is a mess and the other (left) leg's knee (left) aches because, I believe, it is doing most of the heavy-lifting - I'm Workin' On It! I am off of work, for now, until August 14th unless I go back to the podiatrist and I need surgery or some other therapy. I am sure it will require something else but I don't really wish surgery.
 I am related to the late Sheriff Andy Taylor

Cha Cha, Fabio and I went to Fatty's Pub and Grille for lunch today. We ate out in the patio area; it was perfect to eat outside. I got my usual - the corn cob salad with no bacon and iced tea. And, as usual, I brought my jar of Ditka's giardiniera. They are cool with us doing that which is super cool of them. Jill had a salad also and she also used the giardiniera. We talked, again, about making our own giardiniera.

Tomorrow, almost definitely, Jill and are going back up to Woodstock for meditation. We did not go last week because of the life celebration I went to for Ma Meyer (you can read a previous blog about that if you missed that one. We do not have much running-around to do so it should be a relaxing day if the weather holds-out. They're talking about rain, possibly, tonight and tomorrow. I love rain and night but Jeff does not like when the barometric pressure changes and then I get magic fingers in the bed from his shivering and shaking.

Cha Cha's birthday is in nine days. I wonder if we should have a party for her?

I am going to bed now because that is what one does when they are tired. Thank you for stopping by. I will, most likely, get to blog again tomorrow after the Buddhist thing; I am such a hippy. TTTT...MITM (out)! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment