Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Juneteenth!!!!!!!

Happy Juneteenth!!!  Juneteenth is the day that celebrates the end of slavery in The United States. On June 19th in 1865 news reached Galveston, Texas, delivered by General George Granger, that The Emancipation Proclamation had been signed by President Lincoln over two years earlier. Robert E. Lee finally surrendered and the Union forces were strong enough to convince the Confederate soldiers that it was time to stop already. The internet or our 24-hour news cycle sure would have sped that up.

It's almost 5AM and it's not raining but there's a full moon. Soon the sun will gobble up the moon but it's pretty cool in the meantime. Sometimes the sun can be such a bully or maybe the moon just doesn't know how to share? I prefer to think that the moon has been up all night and her shift's over and the sun is now on the job.

It's Friday and it seems like it may be a slowish day for a change. Fabio has his class this morning and then nothing but one baseball game tonight...and it's actually in town. Tomorrow he has a couple more basketball games up by Rockford in the morning and a baseball game at night (again - in town). We are looking at recording the Dirty Laundry podcast tomorrow in between as we try to agree on a time with this week's guest. He's a very busy guy and our schedule is busy too over the next couple of days. My total new outlook says. "if it works out cool but if not that's cool too." It wouldn't be the first or last show that Cha Cha and I did without a guest. Three Little Birds has been my outlook of late. Today is probably just disguising itself as being slowish - that happens a lot.

I just heard that Oprah is trying to get an interview with O. J. Simpson. We haven't heard the name O. J. Simpson for quite some time and then last week, when I mentioned possibly having a person from the O. J. Simpson trial on the podcast, now Oprah is going to get O. J.? I don't mind you stealing my guest ideas (and trying to Oprah-size them) Oprah but just do me a solid and tell people you listen to the podcast and read the blog already. She probably won't get O. J. though because her one condition is that he has to admit that he killed Nicole in order for Oprah to have him on the show. Oprah says that the only two interviews she hasn't been able to get are Simpson and Susan Smith who is in prison for killing her children. Isn't it nice to know that even Oprah doesn't get everything she wants? If I had O.J. as a guest I would just want to know about the most famous chase scene in television and movie history. Actually, I think I would try to put a positive spin on the whole O.J. Simpson thing and actually talk about his football and movie career. He was really fun to watch play football when I was a kid and he was hilarious in The Naked Gun movies. Always be nice kids...one bad, momentary, lapse in judgment can change everything (allegedly). I know you probably have a hard time believing me when I tell you about Roz's musical sense of humor but she just started playing Killer Queen. That's why I love her so much.
Answer - they don't have Al Cowlings

Speaking of lapses in judgment - I guess Weiner pulled out. Once Anthony Weiner's wife got home she he decided to resign his position as a New York Congressman. While he was trying to resign the position, which he eventually did, he became the butt of many more jokes as hecklers yelled things like: "buh-bye pervert" and "will you maintain your hot physique and your smooth sexy chest?" I know there have been a lot of Weiner jokes but I think this was ridiculous. I am not even sure why I feel that way - maybe it's the good ju ju thing? There is talks that the comments were coaxed by Howard Stern. I guess I feel there should be some decorum in public and especially in some venues...I am such a stuffed-shirt sometimes.

These blogs have been getting pretty lengthy lately. You get more for your money that way. I hope you have a great Juneteenth. I am not sure if it should be Happy Juneteenth or Merry Juneteenth or Joyous Juneteenth... I don't think anyone has every Juneteenthed me before. How about "Have a Sunny Juneteenth?" If you're looking for a way to spend your Juneteenth night come on out and watch the Dekalb Phillies take on the DeKalb Tigers. You would want to root for the Phillies, of course. Have a great day. Thanks for stopping here today. TTTT (probably)...MITM (namaste)

1 comment:

  1. "I guess Weiner pulled out?" Nice. You slipped that one in pretty smoothly.
    ha! .......The missing sock

    ReplyDelete