Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fisrt National Bank of Fathers

cue the music Roz

Happy Father's Day. For me the middle word makes for the first word possible.

I heard this morning that Clarence Clemens died yesterday. In case you aren't a MIDDLEager he was an amazing saxophone player probably best known for being one of the main parts of Bruce Springsteen's E-Street Band. A lot of you original MIDDLE MTV'ers will remember that song Roz cued up there at the beginning too. He always seemed like a pretty good guy. Talk about a diverse musical career...he even played with Lady Ga Ga. The dude had chops!

Yesterday I told you that Fabio had two basketball games and a baseball game. There was a typo on the basketball schedule we received and they ended up having three basketball games. They did pretty well at the basketball tournament. They won one of the three games but played really well in all three games. They have only had two practices for this high school basketball team and this is not really part of the season so the coach is trying different combinations of players and right now it is just about playing together which they are doing better every game. On the way back from Rosco, Illinois (where gas is only $3.63 per gallon as opposed to here where it's $3.89) we stopped at Volcano Falls and did the batting cages and miniature golf - like there weren't enough sporting-type events already going on for the day. The Phillies (Fabio's team) beat the Sycamore Yankees last night (I forgot how to bury the lead). Fabio came up in the 5th inning with us down by two runs (8 - 6) with the bases loaded. He has been in a mini hitting slump and he has been doubting himself at the plate lately. I recently watched The Secret (twice) on Netflix after listening to Cha Cha and Kevin Donka talk about it on last week's Dirty Laundry. I went up to the dugout and walked up behind him and told him to "visualize yourself hitting the ball and you'll hit it." He stepped into the batters box and smacked a double to left center which drove in two runs and tied the game. We eventually went on to win 12-11. I also visualized the price of gas being lower in Roscoe so I just put in enough gas to get us there. When we got there I filled up - what a father-like thing to do on Fathers Day Eve.
Thanks for all the help banks!

While I was cleaning the kitchen this morning I had the television on for background noise and I heard a commercial for some bank where a guy was saying things like: "I wanted a house and (so-and-so) bank was there to help me"..."I wanted to go to school and thank goodness (so-and-so) bank was there to help me." I guess they "helped you" yes but I don't think their intentions were as noble as they are leading us to believe. What was the interest rate for this "help?" I am sure they waived all of the finance charges because you and your bank are such good friends right? I am not knocking banks because goodness knows we wouldn't have a house or cars or college educations without banks but let's not pretend that it's more than a business relationship. Maybe the money you lent me for my edjumacation is making me understand that you might have gotten a little something out of "helping" me banksy. I look at the banking industry and how it has "helped" our country get into the financial mess we're in and think that maybe we don't need quite as much "help" as they have been handing out.

My mom and dad will be here soon for Fathers Day breakfast so I had better wrap this up. I hope you have a great day. Cha Cha and I will record the new episode of Dirty Laundry this afternoon and it should be up on iTunes by tomorrow (maybe today) sometime; I will let you know when it's up (TWHS).  It's still not too late to send your questions and/or comments to matthelser1@gmail.com or post them on the Dirty Laundry (podcast) Facebook page. Thank you, as always, for stopping here. I hope all of you fathers (and mothers who are fathers and aunts and uncles and grandparents and friends...who have taken on roles as fathers) have a day that you feel appreciated. I will blog you again tomorrow. TTTT...MITM (nameste-ying out until tomorrow)
I will have Roz leave you with the song that I always envision Splenda and I dancing the daddy/daughter dance to at her wedding. (it always chokes me up) - not "Call Me Al"

No comments:

Post a Comment