Thursday, July 30, 2015

What is a Knickerbocker?

If we have an end room on the top floor maybe we will see the Eiffel Tower from bed
Yesterday I finally got around to caulking the nail and staple marks from when we had the back door installed in the garage and the sliding doors replaced with French doors in the Tiki Room. Hey, when we are in Paris I will be walking through French doors all the time. I guarantee the rooms to our hotel room at Le Meridien Etoile will have French doors. Le Meridien Etoile probably translates to "the hotel where we trick those stupid yankees to stay and charge too much because they are too stupid to do the conversion to Euros." Of course, when I got done caulking and sanding the doors I painted them. I had always been taught that you needed to let outdoor things "season" before painting them. That may have always just been code for "I don't feel like doing it right now" but I am gullible enough to have bought it and dumb enough to pass it on to the next generations.

Because of the last paragraph I learned where the word "yankee" came from; this blog is so educational. I should contact PBS about making this into a series. Anyway, "yankee" can be traced to the Ottowa Native Americans (the artists formerly known as Indians) who called the English "yang-gees" which morphed into yankees by the British after the French & Native American Indian war in 1763. As you may recall, the Confederate States (south) of the U S and A used to refer to the Union States (north) as Yankees. Now the Yankees reside primarily in New York most of the summer.

It s 05:16 and the alarm here in the hotel (actually on my phone) isn't going to sound for another 44 minutes. We have to be at the hospital at 07:30 for a follow-up for Cha Cha to make sure her altered plumbing is working properly. She was supposed to have had this follow-up done several months ago but she had to take care of and worry about me so it got pushed back. The hospital is a five minute walk away from here  - The Millennium Knickerbocker. We had driven past this hotel many times and you can tell that it was probably the cat's pajamas and the bee's knees back in it's heyday. It still is very nice and I can tell they work to keep it very contemporary. The Lollapalooza music festival starts at nearby Grant Park tomorrow tomorrow so all of the hotels were pretty well booked plus, it IS summer in Chicago. Who knows maybe Metallica or Paul McCartney or Florence and The Machine or Of Monsters and Men or any one of about 100ish bands playing at Lollapalooza are staying here? Anyway, we parked by the hospital and walked here so that, after the hospital visit, we will have a quicker getaway Dodge (though we brought the Fiat). Yes, I know Dodge, in this instance refers Dodge City and not the vehicle company which it isn't in italics. Do you think that Bonnie and Clyde didn't plan get-aways like this? Incidentally, they were killed in a Ford - not a Dodge or a Fiat.
So far our trip is better than theirs. I hope the get-away will be too

Incidentally, a knickerbocker is slang for a New Yorker which is odd since I just talked about Yankees and the New York Knicks (NBA) are one of the the New York basketball team. Incidentally, New York also has the Brooklyn Nets (the artists formerly known and the New Jersey Nets).

Traffic coming in here last night was horrific and that was against the rush-hour traffic going outbound so I know it was the right move coming here and staying. I cannot imagine trying to fight the rush-hour traffic trying to get in here this morning.

I think I am going to hop in the shower now so the bathroom is free for the this trips star of the show before the alarm goes off in 17 minutes. Thanks, so much, for continuing to stop by to make me want to write and keep my brain occupied and focused on good uses (at least I perceive this as a productive use - making you and me smile and think about different things). I hope you have a great day and, if I run into Paul McCartney I will tell him you said, "cheerio!" TTTT...MITM (out). Cheerio (TA)!

No comments:

Post a Comment