Friday, December 30, 2011

The Ginormously Amazing New Normal Blog!

"HAPPY NEW YEAR PRACTICE!!!!!!!!"
Thank goodness it's not about four degrees colder because then I would be out shoveling the driveway instead of in here with you blogging.

New Year's Eve is tomorrow and I heard on the radio on the way to work yesterday that New York City actually has practice confetti drops for their New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square. Are you kidding me? Maybe I am new but let me see if I am missing something. You get a bunch of confetti. You load it up and hoist it to the top of a really tall building. You dump it over and watch the confetti float down to the ground. What is there to practice? If you were in a controlled environment it would still be stupid to practice gravity but sine the wind or the rain/snow may change within the two days does practice matter anyway? Now they have to clean the street and do it all over again. There is over one ton (2,000 lbs) of confetti dropped in NYC every New Year's Eve. I think I am going to start a recycling business in New York next year. Maybe this is how they get to pad their fiscal budgets for next year; "look how many man hours and paper supplies this took." I say "scrap" the whole deal but I am sure that the alcohol companies and the hotel industry and maternity doctors and hospitals would put up a fight.

I further heard that people can actually get their own personal New Year's messages written on the confetti. Matthew Broderick wished for peace. Supposedly peace is one of the top five wishes people litter with. It probably makes #6 on my list. Abigail Breslin's wish is my favorite - "I wish this piece of confetti would get picked up."I guess they both hoped for piece/peace didn't they?

I did work-out yesterday and I am happy that I did. I am always happier after I work-out. One thing that I really missed and I had no idea was the little soreness that follows. It's not an ache or a pain but a constant little twinge that reminds you every time you move a certain way. I am not being facetious - I really did miss the soreness and didn't know that I missed it. I know it sounds silly and I am not a masochist. I cannot explain it but I really do like the twinge.

Love those LSSU Golden LaSSU-ettes
I noticed that fuel prices went up 15 cents per gallon yesterday in town. It's not bad enough that Illinois is doubling their Tollway rates January 1st but now it will even cost more to get to the tollway. Maybe they figure people will not use the tollway as much next year and hope we will think the higher gas prices are "still better than the higher tollway prices." People suck! (not everyone sucks but you know if you're one of the sucky ones and just stop sucking already)

Michael Jordan and Winona Judd are engaged!!!! Are you as amazed as I am at that? Winona Judd and Michael Jordan are seriously engaged. Oh wait, they are engaged to different people not each other so I guess it's not that big a deal after all. Nevermind.

Lake Superior State University just released their 37th annual list of words and/or phrases that should be "banished" from the English language. The reason I thought of this is because I just used one of the words in the last paragraph (well a derivative of it anyway). They think the word "amazing" should be banished. Others were: "shared sacrifice" (which I have never used and would not have ever used if they didn't tell me I shouldn't use it), "occupy" (seriously?"), "mancave," "the new normal," "ginormous," "blowback" and the one that I am sure I will never be able to stop using - BABY BUMP! It's ginormously amazing to me that such a shared sacrifice should be the new normal while I try to blowback in my occupied mancave. There are other words and phrases they want banished too and I will listen because when I think linguistics I think Lake Superior State University. I find it a more amazingly ginormous baby bumpish that there is even a Lake Superior State University that has been around for 37-plus years. Maybe instead of worrying about the words we use they should wonder why their college mascot is "the Lakers." I cannot take vocabulary advise from a school that cannot even be creative in the mascot. How about the LSSU Golden LaSSUs? Sorry for the blowback LSSU!

Have a great day and to my friends in Samoa - HAPPY NEW YEAR - and you thought it was  only the 30th...get with the program (by the way, I love your cookies). Thanks for stopping by and for most of us tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Be smart because I want you to keep coming back and visiting with me - you are one of the only ones! TTTT...MITM (totally jonesin' for Samoas - thank goodness the Girl Scouts aren't selling cookies right now) TA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment