Saturday, May 28, 2011

Let's Learn Something from the Smores!

Hunter "Patch" Adams of The Gesundheit! Institute
Good Saturday morning. I am too lazy to get off of my bulbous butt to go get my notebook so you are gonna get whatever flows from the deep, dark, echoing caverns of my empty mind. Strap in and hold on tight. Okay, have a nice weekend and I'll blog again Monday. Just kidding - give me a moment and I will think of something.

We have had pretty good health insurance through Cha Cha's work for about 15 years or so. Of course, she pays like $400 a week out of her check or something (that is just an arbitrary number I threw out there so it may be way off but I think it's probably pretty close) so we have probably paid for our medical costs for life with interest by now. The insurance companies are doing pretty well financially I think. So, now for the first time in those many years, we are having medical claims denied that were pre-approved and had never been problems before. We do not like to go to the doctor and we try not to go unless it is a surgery or something that we cannot perform ourselves. We do have that survival self-defense mechanism. We call the insurance company and the doctor/hospital... and go back and forth and end up getting it approved. Then, after the insurance company agrees to pay it, they still don't pay it right away and the hospital/doctor... is calling us saying things like "we know you said the insurance company is going to pay it but they still haven't and we need our money." It's like the John Grisham novel The Rainmaker that became a really good movie with Matt Damon. It also reminds me of the movies A Civil Action starring John Travolta and Erin Brackovich starring Julia Roberts. I never really thought about it but there must be a reason that there is a list of movies like this a mile long. Where are the Hunter "Patch" Adams-type doctors when we need them? I know the answer is Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières. I don't want this to turn into a doctor or insurance bashing blog but that's what I get when I don't go to my laughing place (notebook). Visit your local chiropractor - I believe they actually are in it for the right reasons (to help us); not just for repeat business. Claws in!
Uncle Remus -  better than Santa Claus

Oh, my goodness that last Laughing Place link is gonna make me go off again I think. It's like one fuse attached to the next. Why doesn't The Walt Disney Company re-release Song of the South? I know the obvious answer that people use is because of bigotry and racism. I remember seeing the film at the theater when I was very young (maybe 7 or 8). I think that movie is part of the reason that I am so anti-discrimination-minded. The film, as I remember it, was showing how racism and prejudice were (and still are) wrong. I haven't seen the film for probably 40 years but I don't remember it as being hateful and I don't have a racist thought in my mind - ever! Give us some credit Disney. If not, get rid of all of the Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear attractions and characters at your theme parks. I think Uncle Remus was one of the most endearing characters of all time. And quit playing Zip-A-De-Doo-Dah too...you can't have it both ways! Ignoring our history doesn't make the bad parts go away. We need to see it, know it, learn from it and not repeat it!

If it doesn't rain tonight we're gonna have a fire out back I think. All are welcome. Just let me know you're coming so I can get more marshmallows, chocolate bars and graham crackers. Smores show us that different colors from very diverse backgrounds can live together in perfect harmony. Maybe I will even play Laughing Place and Zip-A-De-Do-Dah - well Roz will actually. Tomorrow is the day we will record next week's Dirty laundry Podcast so it's not too late to get your questions and comments in...I can't wait to talk about all of the hate mail (seriously, I am excited to talk about and honored that we have risen to the heights of getting hate mail). enjoy the beginning of your Memorial Day weekend and I will blog again soon (probably Monday but maybe tomorrow too?) TTT S&M (I mean S or M)...MITM (off to gather firewood for tonight) If you hated today's blog just see it, know it, learn from it and don't repeat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment