Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Mega Good Millions Earth Friday Day

Happy Good Earth Day Friday! In honor of Earth Day I am listening to Roz's Earth Day playlist. I will tell you which song she is starting with and which song she is playing as I end the blog - she is on shuffle, of course, since she is such a great dancer. Right now she is playing "Constellations" by Jack Johnson. It's like musical Earth Day Roulette.
My favorite "Weird Al' song - "Amish Paradise"
Yesterday I wrote about Lady Gaga and then she appeared in the news (sort of). Weird Al Yankovic, who you know I am a huge fan of, recorded a parody of one of Gaga's songs "Born This way" entitled "Perform This Way." He requested her permission and was told that she did not want him to add it to his forthcoming album. So, since she didn't want him to put it on his album, he decided to post it to YouTube for our enjoyment. Knowing that, I searched it and HERE IT IS FOR YOU. It is very funny and I want to see the video that doesn't exist. Al finished the song because he was told Gaga had to "hear it" before she would grant permission; no artist had ever requested this of "Weird Al" before. Under the fair use laws I understand that he didn't even need to get her permission but that's the way Al rolls. The music is still on YouTube and he is donating a portion (possibly 100%?) of the take of this song to the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) which is a lobbying group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equal rights. He has since gotten Gaga's permission and, as it turns out, it was her management that said "no" and she had never even heard the song, supposedly. Now the word is that she has since heard it and loves it. I am not sure how the HRC will benefit now though knowing what I know of Mr. Yankovic the HRC will still do very well.

Since today is Earth Day and Good Friday and Mega Millions Day I guess I will be a multi-millionaire by tomorrow. Don't worry, you'll be invited to the MITM/ Dirty Laundry party when I win. Fabio has baseball practice during the day today since they have no school and their first game is Monday night and after that I am going to suggest something earth Dayish. Though the rain may change some or all of that. Maybe a picnic? A bike ride? I guess it depends on the weather as the MIDDLEwest has been pretty unpredictable lately.

Shutout pitching performance in game one of 1918 Series

I heard a report that there is a theory that the Chicago Cubs may have thrown the World Series in 1918. So now that is being said to be the real source of the Cubs' Curse rather than the goat. If throwing the World Series is cause for a curse how did cross-town White Sox manage to win the World Series in 2005? This new allegation comes from testimony given by Chicago White Sox player Eddie Cicotte (played my Michael Strathain in Eight Men Out) in his 1920 court deposition from the "Black Sox" scandal when the White Sox "threw" the World Series. Courts said they were innocent but Commissioner Kennisaw Mountain Landis banned the players involved out of baseball and great players like "Shoeless Joe" Jackson were denied almost certain Hall of Fame admission. It's easy to call it a curse from a black cat or a goat or a poor guy named Bartman. Sometimes teams can just lose and still fill the seats every game - that doesn't sound like a curse to me. Hey, that one guy that used to be on Two and a Half Men was in Eight Men Out.

I just saw on my Facebook page that my life-long friend John has sent me an invite to something called Operation Oz. Operation Oz is a project working with the USO (United Services Organizations) to help the families of military people ravaged by the recent tornadoes on the East Coast. Can you imagine being in a foreign land working for your country and hearing that your family is back home with no food or electricity or water? I will post the link on my Facebook page and I intend to make my way to either Beloit or Janesville, Wisconsin today with diapers, formula, non-perishables, water...sometime between 9:00AM and 9:00PM because I think that would be a good Earth Day / Good Friday thing to do. If you want to ride along or just have some things for me to take with me let me know and I will be happy to be the delivery boy.

Alright, I am off to give RECYCLE my plasma and then do that baseball practice thing if the rain stops. Then off to Mars Cheese Castle Land to practice what I preach...helping others. In case you have not become aware...I like Earth Day though I always picture it sunny and then it arrives and it's rainy. I can admit with 100% certainty that of all of the planets I have visited Earth is my favorite; Earth Sweet Earth. The ending song of the blog is "All This Time" by Sting. Thanks Roz! And, thank you for spending part of your Good Earth Friday with me - I appreciated you as much as I do the planet we celebrate today. TTTT...MITM (out to help others and win the Mega Millions so I can help more) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment