Thursday, April 7, 2011

Go Ahead....Read My Blog!

Fair & Unbalanced - a lot like Matt In The Middle
Thirsty already? I hope your week has been going well because it's almost over.

Cha Cha mentioned that she wants to go see the Second City comedy group that is coming to our Egyptian Theater Saturday (when I blogged "our" I meant it is in our town). So, I went on-line and bought some tickets this morning. The show is called Second City's Fair and Unbalanced. I have to work at a dog show that whole day so I may smell funny that night. While I was finishing up my purchase I was offered "event ticket insurance." Apparently if I: get sick, have airline delays, have a traffic accident or any good reason that prevents me from making the performance I can get my money back. The cost for the insurance is ONLY $4.99 per ticket. Your  personal and credit card information are sent to a third-party company called Mondial Assistance who just sits back and collects your data and, I am guessing, will sell it to someone who will put you on a sucker list. Pretty much an insurance company when I put it that way. I say sucker list because you'd have to be a sucker to do this in this MIDDLE blogger's humble opinion. What a racket. I will offer you blog insurance from here on out and if you want to send me $10 and you are unable to read any of my blogs because of computer problems or any number of other reasons. I will print-out the blogs and mail them to you. (That's $10 per blog - but every 10th blog mailed is free)

So, the United States may shut-down huh? Does that mean that the mail will stop and I will stop getting bills? I am tired of bills anyway so I think I may be all for this. If the government shuts down the banks will close, right? Should I stop direct deposit? Currency Exchanges will still cash checks until they run out of money because their banks are closed too right? I am not really sure exactly what "the government shutting down" means exactly but I am certain it is a scare-tactic to try to put pressure on somebody to do something they shouldn't be doing because somebody isn't getting their way. "Where's that money you silly stupid old fool? Where's that money? Do you realize what this means?  It means bankruptcy and scandal and prison! That's what it means! One of us is going to jail... well, it's not gonna be me!" Yes, It's a Wonderful Life in Middle-America! It sounds to me like everyone in Washington is just getting grounded or a paid-vacation. Speaking of grounded - if the government shuts-down who is gonna monitor the airlines?

Tuesday night there was another shooting in my wild MIDDLEwestern town of Dekalb. According to news reports there was a drive-by shooting on the northwest part of town. One of the star defense players for the Northern Illinois University football team was shot while visiting some friends in their apartment. The news said it was from "a drug deal gone bad." The player, who was in critical condition as of yesterday, was not involved in the "drug deal;" he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is expected to live but it sadly sounds like his football season ended before it began. Saturday night after the Second City show we were talking about going to listen to a band. Guess where they are playing? Directly in front of the apartment where this shooting occurred. That part of the evening may be up for debate.

Here comes another case of this blog looking like it's actually planned out (or is it?) The Illinois government is reviewing a house bill called House Bill 148 which creates the Family and Personal Protection Act. This would allow "county sheriffs to issue permits to carry concealed firearms to persons at least 21 years of age who meet certain requirements." Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, along with Chicago Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel, both oppose this legislation vehemently. In such a large city, as Chicago, they do not want citizens carrying concealed, loaded weapons through all of the parks, college campuses, museums, shopping areas, theaters... I agree. Unless you are a professional that requires a weapon (police officer, armored car guard, security, FBI, CIA, Secret Service, Apple Store employee...) I don't even see why handguns have to exist. I have fired a handgun (at targets) and they are fun to shoot but I may need to carry one soon just to be ready for the other guy who is carrying one. A gun might be handy Saturday night - a Saturday Night Special, of course. Arizona, here come the Helsers - Matt In The West, the blogger formerly known as Matt In The Middle. At least in Arizona they carry their "heaters" out where you can see them; but it's a dry-heat.

Sorry, I started "shooting" off at the keys again. I think I am going to have to write most of this down on the Dirty Laundry Studio dry-erase board so we can talk about some of this on next week's podcast. If you haven't heard this week's show click "suggested links" in the upper right there margin there. Somehow the podcast is ranked number 3,398th today when yesterday it was 11,352nd. I think that may be because this episode I categorized as "society & culture: philosophy" and the last one was "comedy." I need to find out which category has the fewest podcasts listed and categorize it there next week. I can move up quicker than I thought. It's a number's game eh? That takes all the pressure off! That's marketing and sales for ya. Have a great day. Go get all of your money out of your bank and put it inside your MATTress now before everybody else reads this. (I always wished my MIDDLE name were Russ so I could be Matt Russ) Thanks for stopping by again today - I REALLY DO appreciate you coming here (too easy). TTTT...MITM (loading up my guns - gonna workout that is) TA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment