Monday, November 30, 2015

Bog Day for History Today

Today is Cyber Monday and who cares. I am so tired of all these gimmicks to try to get our money. I heard on the radio that this is now Cyber Week as there are internet deals available all this week. I suppose next year we will have Cyber Month and then Cyber Quarter and so on and so on...

More importantly than this capitalistic greed is something much more monumental that happened on December first (tomorrow) in 1955. I mention it now because I will probably forget to mention it by the time the actual anniversary (tomorrow) arrives. Tomorrow is the date in 1955 in Montgomery, Alabama when an African American seamstress refused to give-up her seat for a white man even though she was sitting in the, so called, black section of the bus. It seems that Rosa Parks was destined to do this because twelve years prior to this now famous and monumental act she was getting on a bus and the bus driver made her exit and go and enter the bus though the rear door (the black entrance). While she walked back to the rear door the driver closed the doors and drove off without her. I am really glad that I was not a black person back then because I do not have near the patience and discipline to have endured what these people had to demonstrate. I have so much respect for people like Rosa Parks, Medgar Evers, Jackie Robinson and many many others that had the will and bravery to stand-up for what was right.

It was so nice having Splenda home for Thanksgiving. We will see her again in a couple of weeks and then again at Christmas time. While she was home we went shopping (all four of us for a change) for the underprivileged children for Christmas. Cha Cha drove four names from the names at her work so we would have one child for the each of us. I believe Santa Claus is going to deliver the toys. The most difficult item to get was the Fartblaster 2. Luckily, while we drove through the St. Charles / Geneva area Cha Cha Googled the Fartblaster and found one left at Target. She bought it on-line and it was waiting for us at Target when we arrived there. Karma paid us back but allowing us to get gas for only $1.72 per gallon when it is $1.99 here in DeKalb.
What more do you need in a haunted town than a tavern?
I am watching what I am eating again; I have decided that I really do not want to weigh 300 pounds as I had aimed to do a couple of weeks ago. I now have a new target of around 175 again. I guess that is a big difference isn't it? That will probably be easier than going up to 300.

I read that there is a town in South Dakota for sale for $250,000. The town is called Swett and it is only six acres of land but how cool would it be to own your own town? Maybe if I could get five partners and we all pitched-in $41,667 each we could buy the town and each have one acre lots for our homes. Maybe a little smaller than an acre so we could have a small downtown. There is already one house there that is supposed to be haunted and a closed bar. We can open the bar and call ourselves a ghost town and maybe get our money back as a tourist trap? I would like to change the name of the town though. Who wants to travel to a town named Swett?

One of my favorite people still on this planet just sent me a message telling me that today, in addition to Rosa Parks' big move, is also Samuel Langhorn Clemens' birthday. She knows that he is another of my favorite people who was ever lived on this planet. November 30th is a monumental day on Earth. Maybe I should buy that town and rename it Twain or Langhorn or something. Ironically, Splenda and I went on a ghost hunting overnight tour with this same favorite person and now she mentions Twain's birthday while I am writing about the ghost town for sale. Is that the cosmos telling me that I need to buy Swett? I think the new town name should be Spooky, South Dakota or Haunted, South Dakota or something along those lines. Creepy? Scary? Ghostly? It seems like it is destined to be. In a sort of related point - though Clemens grew-up in a slave state (Missouri) I believe he was anti-slavery. I base this on my reading many of his works and visiting his home town many times. It is difficult to say whether I am correct or not but I hope that I am. One of his most famous books had a runaway slave as one of the main characters and that character was good friends with the main character - Huckleberry Finn.

Okay, I have been writing this off-and-on for the last couple of hours. I have to get some more laundry started and start thinking about dinner, I am thinking turkey hot dogs. I will do mine with no buns now that I no longer want to weigh 300 pounds; it would be a lot easier if I just kept that as one of my goals. I hope you have a great rest of your day and night and, as always. I thank you for stopping by. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment