Friday, November 20, 2015

My Fatherland vs. My Motherland

Yesterday, as advertised, I received a phone call from The Mayo Clinic. They just wanted a list of the medications that I am taking and they are passing that on to one of their neurologists and then a determination will be made whether or not I am worthy of gaining an audience with the king or queen. I was told that I could expect contact, at the very soonest, the beginning of December. Then, if the determination is that I am worthy of their benevolence (though that is not an appropriate word since it will not be charity - I and my insurance will pay), it will be another three to five months, at best, before I could make the trek to Rochester, Minnesota. That is actually pretty nice since I would not want to drive to the North Pole in the MIDDLE of winter. This would make it somewhere between March and May before I would go. Maybe I could catch a Twins' games. Mall of America will be there any time of the year. I have a feeling that I will not make the cut. I am not sure why I feel that way but maybe I am thinking that because I am MIDDLEaged. I picture them taking mainly older or much younger people. Maybe if they new that I do a  pretty good Jacky Benny impression my chances would be bettered? Ques Sera Sera!

I am so happy that the kitchen is finally done and our house is as back to normal as we believe is normal. There are still a few touch-ups I have to get done. The little drips that accumulate on the opposite side or in the grooves of what is being painted. I will sand those off and put some paint on those spots as well as the few areas that the masking tape covered while I was painting. Now we need to get a new dishwasher because the one we have had here since we build this house goodness knows how long ago doesn't do the job as well as we think it should. We are probably going to get one that is stainless steel and accommodates the dinner goods better. I will probably put all of the stuff back in the drawers and the cabinets when I get done writing this. We also bought new silverware and dishes. You would think we have won the lottery or something. If we had won the lottery I would have had somebody else do the cabinets and they would probably be in our new villa in Europe somewhere; I have always wanted to be an expatriate (Expat as I prefer) though, technically, I think I am partially one already.The true definition is actually a person who lives in a country where they are are not a citizen and I am a citizen here. Maybe my heart is just an Expat. What is the difference of ones fatherland and their motherland. I think German is my fatherland and The United States of America is my motherland. Sometimes, throughout history, my motherland and fatherland have disagreed and, for some time in the early 20th century (WWI and WWII), they had some major disagreements and even separated from one another a few times but they have always made-up and got-along again. I worry that if they get into another big fight it may be bad news for the entire neighborhood (World). I think WWII, and maybe WWI too, should be classified as domestic violence given my new theory on my parentlands.  Does this mean that Ireland and Bohemia (now only a region of The Czech Republic) are my Aunt and Uncle and Cousinlands?
 I believe this will become my new family crest 

When I went to the store yesterday to pick up the finishing touches for the kitchen I stopped by the library. I returned one book, renewed the one that I was not done with yet, and checked-out three more. I have always loved the library and the internet has made me forget that until recently. My life has been too busy and fun-filled for the past 25 years or so for me to appreciate one of my first loves. Do you remember how excited and empowered you felt when you learned how to read as a young child? I had forgotten that love recently and am happy to have it back. I suppose with working for several newspapers as a writer, and editor and reporter and writing news for television and radio I have done more reading than I realized; I am not not taking that for granted right now. I do take more notes when I read now though as my memory sucks and I need the notes to refer back to when I begin the writing part of my novel. I think I may start writing within the next week or two. I have been taking notes on my chapters and ideas as well as the notes from my research. I am pretty excited about it right now.

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is next week. I think I will be German next week. Brats are easier and quicker to make than turkey. As you may have guessed, Thanksgiving is here this year. Jill's family and my family will be here. Splenda will even be home from school; I hope we do not get the twelve inches of snow they are calling-for. I want her drive to be bad-weather-free. Do you think people would be upset with turkey pizza? I could use cranberries as the sauce and then make turkey meat sausage and use stuffing and salad as the toppings. And then, of course, a pumpkin pie pizza for dinner with whipped cream as the mozzarella stand-in. I really think I am onto something here. I am glad I am putting it n writing because then it is copy-written and trademarked as my intellectual-less property. Give me a call Pizza Hut and Papa John... and we will talk.

I am still getting several emails every day from that Presidential candidate that Jill and I donated money to the campaign for. I will never do that again unless I personally know the person who is running. They are asking for more money in nearly every one of the messages. "Can you give just another $19?..." I do not know where the figure $19 comes from but it must be the most money that doesn't sound like too much psychologically? $20 sounds like too much? We have more than $19 the first time but now I wish the first time was $0 dollars. I still plan on voting for this person and, unless they win and I get invited to the inauguration, I will not donate any money again for any political reason unless it is a cause like refugee protection or the environment or children or hungry people or something that I truly believe-in. And then, I will want proof that 100% of my money is going to that cause. I would rather take refugees into our home or take food directly to starving people than trust any of these, what I believe to be, charlatans.

I have to head over to the store now and get some of those little bubble thingies that go on the backs of the cupboard doors and drawers so they are not wood-on-wood when they close. I just need a few but I am sure they come in a package of several. Anyway, thanks you for stopping in; I really thank you for letting me get some of my frustrations off of my fingers. Good luck with whatever weather is coming your way over the next few days. We are supposed to get up to twelve inches of snow before Saturday night. I have missed work even though I have enjoyed sleeping at nights but I will not miss working throughout the nights when it is 40 below zero with 50-mile-per-hour winds while I am surrounded by open cornfields. Just be careful driving and bundle-up in layers (clothes not people though an orgy would keep you warm I suppose). Don't be in a hurry no MATTer which of those options you choose. TTTT...MITM (out)...TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment