Wednesday, November 11, 2015

That-a-boy Clarence!

It was an awe-inspiring, breath-taking visit
Happy Veterans Day and thank you to all of the people who have helped keep our borders, mostly, safe. I know I have written about it here before but, I should be a retired U.S. Army veteran now. I cannot imagine (okay, I can imagine) how my life would have been different had I not gotten my big toe cut off after already being sworn-in. I was to head to Fort McClellan, Alabama right after I got out of high school where I was going to basic training before entering the Military Police. Had that happened, I never would have met my college sweetheart and two people, who are alive today, never would not have existed. I guess, in a sense, I saved more people's lives not going into the Army as I may have had I served. I always feel like George Bailey when I think about that. Clarence was watching out for me and making my life more fulfilled than I could ever have imagined it would have been with Cha Cha, Splenda and Fabio in it. That-a-boy Clarence!

Just a few months ago Jill and I were in the Luxembourg American Cemetery in, yes, Luxembourg. It was amazing to walk through there. It was probably the most beautiful cemetery that I have ever seen. Most of the grave-markers were identical There seemed to be two types: the white cross or the white Star of David. Even General George S. Patton's grave marker was the simple white marble cross. This cemetery looks exactly the same as the one used in the film Saving Private Ryan (at the beginning and the end) though that one, I believe was the Normandy, France American Cemetery Odder still is that I believe Patton spent some his last few days in the Army hospital in Heidelberg, Germany. This is the same hospital where I was born. He was buried in Luxembourg at his request because he wanted to be "buried next to his men." Odd to think that of all the fighting and wars Patton fought in he could have lived longer had he been wearing a seat belt. When his wife dies in 1953 she was cremated and her ashes were strewn on her husband's grave by their children. She was not allowed to be buried there as she had not served in the military so, they found a loophole so she could spend the eternity with her husband.

This week is the final week of Jill's class at DePaul University. I have enjoyed having been able to go with her for these past eight weeks or so. I am glad this is the last week because it has really taken a toll on her working and taking this class. Being a Masters' class she has to write lots of papers and she gets very little time to relax. It is nice to have the time travelling back-and-forth to Chicago. There are little distractions and we can talk a lot (Thanks Clarence). At home there is always something to do and we don't often get to just talk. Maybe we will just have to drive around once a week when this class is over?

The burritos and rice were a big hit last night. If I can get Fabio to approve I know I have accomplished something. I made six burritos and we each had one last night, I packed one for Jill for her lunch at work and I ate my second one for breakfast burrito this morning. I have never really been much of  traditional breakfast food guy. I think it is silly that you have to have certain foods for breakfast and certain foods for lunch and certain foods for dinner. Lunch and dinner foods, however, seem to be more acceptably interchanged but breakfast seems t be a snob about what it wants served. Then there is brunch which is what I believe every meal should be like; eat the kind of food that you want to eat at any meal.
Just like the Army to get my birth date wrong (or did they?)

I have to do some shopping so I had better quit here now. I am so glad that you stopped-in today. I know you have a busy life, at least from time-to-time, but I always hope that I can put a smile on your face or make you think or laugh at my ignorance once in a while and it makes things just a little better for even a moment. I am not usually acting dumb here - you really are a lot smarter than I am. I hope you have a great day and night. We are supposed to be getting some serious winds and maybe a storm or two here in the MIDDLEwest over the next few days. I awhile it will be winter and we will know what to expect pretty much every day for awhile. Thanks again (and thank you for your comments and suggestions, I do appreciate them). TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment