Friday, October 2, 2015

I am the Chief of Lint!

I have not blogged since Sunday and I thought that I was gonna be done with it but I will do a short blog today because I promised a couple of people (Linda and Ed specifically got the blog rolling) that I would blog again. I am glad that they coaxed me into doing it again because, though I had more time to clean bathrooms and such, I did miss the writing. It seems like longer than only five days that I have written here. I wanted to say, "it felt like a lifetime" but that is too cliche' so I will write that I wanted to say that and that will sound even more cliche'. Touche' cliche'.
   He really was a Chief and a decent actor (though type-cast)  

Yesterday I received a call from my work. Quite awhile back I had tested to become a shift supervisor. Apparently, I tested well-enough to be in the top whatever percentage I needed to pass to the next level. I received the message to call and set-up an interview for the position. I am not sure who the interview would be with but I imagine it would start with the Commanders and then, whoever passed that stage of the interview, would probably meet with the Chief. Just now writing the word Chief made me think of how odd that word is. Our country, at one time, tried to wipe-out the Native Americans but then our fire departments and police departments and the Navy and Superman decided to add insult to a lot of injury by stealing the title of their leaders (after stealing their land). I just looked for the origin for the word "chief" and experts ASSUME that the word may have originated either from the words sheik (which, in the Arabic countries, means "old man") or the French word/phrase "chef" (short of "chef of cuisine") which is the head of the kitchen. But, had Native Americans visited France or the MIDDLE East? Maybe they heard the term when early explorers visited here. I say that all of these words were invented separately and just sound alike. Anyway, I digress... so, I called back to work and told them that given that I am on medical disability and, at present time, cannot work nights by doctor's orders I would have to decline and remove my name from the list of candidates to interview for this position. I doubt that I would have gotten the position anyway because there are a few (maybe three) butt-smoochers who also are interviewing who are more-likely to get the job. That is not sour-grapes, by the way, just a MATTer of fact. 

Last night I went to the city (Chicago is what we call "the city" in these here parts) with Cha Cha again. I walked around a bit and handed some money to several of the sidewalk needy. There was some different people around this week. A couple had a sign out where they were sitting that they were "travelling broke" and she was playing guitar. I usually don't try to engage conversation because I don't want to make them feel worse. I always make eye-contact and I am almost always happy that they do the same and we exchange just a few words. Anyway, while she played the guitar he was talking about how they are trying to get enough money to travel south before it gets too cold. They did not learn Street Needy 101 because they had lots of paper money in their bowl already. I have found that most have very little money in their cups so it looks like they are more worthy of your money. I think I mentioned this in a blog a few weeks ago. I just feel good helping people whether they need it or not. I thank Richard Gere to myself every week for this gift that he gave me - it is very satisfying to help others in need. 
 I promise that less than 10% of that lint in this bag is from my belly button 

I will be right back - the drier is singing that it is time to fold the clothes before they begin to wrinkle.

I'm back. I think I may put the lint from the bag that I have been collecting it for several months out today. We feed the birds right off of the Tiki Room here and I know they will see the lint for their nests if I put it under the feeding area. I imagine they have started to make their winter nests and could use some supplies. Even if they are done they could knit some blankets or sweaters or something. We will have the best-smelling, warmest birds in the MIDDLEwest.

Well, I have to get to the store. Thanks for coming by and for talking me into blogging again. I will blog tomorrow and, if you behave yourself, maybe even on Sunday. TTTT...MITM (out). TA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment