Friday, October 9, 2015

Always Be On Your Guard!

It is last night at 18:27 and I am at DePaul University in downtown Chicago at the corner of State and Jackson and I am blogging. That means that I am blogging to the future or you are reading my blog form the past (I guess that is always the case isn't it? I am the only one who reads it from the present - as I am writing it). I normally walk around for two-and-a-half hours but I am not feeling it tonight - mainly because it is pouring outside and I do not have an umbrella.

Tomorrow night, which is tonight now, the Cardinals and Cubs meet for game one of the best of five series to see who moves on and probably will play the Dodgers. The Cubs against the Dodgers would be boring because they both have blue uniforms. There needs to be some red in there so, I am sure, Major League Baseball has ordered the Cardinals to win the series against the Cubs in four games. I sure do see a lot of Cubs attire here last night. It's funny all of the closet fans that come out of the closet (metaphorically speaking) when the bandwagon fires-up. Maybe they were just waiting for the right time or maybe I am just more cognizant of it now?

Last night, while I was downtown I heard that there was a bomb-threat at Northern Illinois University here in town (the place where I work). They had to evacuate all of the buildings on campus. I guess they evacuated at all of the satellite locations: Rockford, Mount Prospect... Supposedly, there was also a bomb threat at DePaul University (the O'hare campus). I was at DePaul last night (as you saw in the opening of the blog) so that was weird. I guess these bomb threats have been called in to many colleges: College of DuPage here in Illinois, Texas A & M in College Station, Rhode Island College...  Why are they choosing the schools that they choose? Seems like a lot of them are in the Chicagoland area. Fortunately, these have all been found to be hoaxes but what is driving this? Is it the gun laws? The recent Oregon shooting - since these are all colleges that are receiving these calls? It sure seems obvious to me that these are connected though some could be copycats, I suppose. I am positive the FBI and other agencies are investigating but maybe we need to start watching who buys those throw-away kinds of phones a little closer? I am not sure if we even have pay phones any more.I have always been leery of those things - I watch too many movies. And, the schools cannot ignore these things as hoaxes; they must treat these calls as legitimate and evacuate and protect their patrons (students, faculty, staff, public...). I think that may be someone who wants stricter gun regulations and they are using this as a sort of an advertising campaign to build support for their view?.Why else would they be calling schools and not large buildings in the bigger cities? I keep saying "call" but I am not sure how the places are notified. Whatever / Whoever is behind this I hope they are apprehended soon and this stops; I have two kids who attend colleges and I don't want to hear that their schools have been threatened and know the fear that all of the parents that hear this on the radio or television know when their child is at that school at that time. I am certain that whoever is behind this will be caught - I just hope that it is soon. I cannot understand what kind of a warped-mind would, no matter what the reason, would do something like this. It certainly is politically-driven in one form or another though. Our media feeds right into all of this and gives these people/groups exactly what they want he said as he wrote about it in his blog (I guess they got me too).

I will be at a college this weekend but I do not imagine there will be any threats. If there are not thousands of students in classrooms and lecture halls (like on a weekend) there is no press and that is what these kooks want. I am excited to be going back to one of my alma maters mainly because of one of the people I will be visiting. You didn't know that there was actually a woman named Alma Mater did you?  That's because, to the best of my guessing, there really wasn't an Alma Mater. The phrase comes from Latin and means "nourishing mother." It actually began at the oldest European university, University of Bologna, which was founded in 1088. The school's official full name is Alma Mater Studiorum Universita' di Bologna.

Well, I have to get some things done before I depart on my latest journey. I believe I should be able to blog most of the days I usually do as I will not be in Europe with sketchy internet access. ESPECIALLY on Columbus Day when I hope to remember to blog about what I learned about this dirt bag. I am kind of excited to be headed to Cardinals' country when the first game of the National League Division Series begins. Who knows, maybe I will get a wild hair up my fanny and go see who has an extra ticket? I am pretty sure I will not do that. I may wait until the Cards are in the World Series and throw down some duckets then. Notice that there are not a lot of ifs in that sentence. If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all be in the World Series. Have a great Friday and Frinight and I should blog again sometime tomorrow. Thanks a lot for stopping by and be vigilant and always be mindful of your surroundings; there are a lot of wackos out there. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment