Thursday, October 29, 2015

Today's Blog is Brought to You by the Number 10

Probably the most famous 10
I took my winning Powerball ticket in yesterday and was surprised to learn that I turned my $6, not into $2 as I had thought but, into $4. So, with my winnings I was able to buy two Powerball tickets for last night's drawing. I looked at the numbers when I received the new tickets and noticed that they both had the number 10 as the Powerball number. So, if 10 was drawn last night as the Powerball number that means that I will have turned $6 into $4 and then into $8. I also noticed that all of the other numbers on both tickets we different - there were no numbers one ticket that were on the other ticket other than 10. I just let the machine pick my numbers randomly because it is all chance anyway. I then started thinking about all of the Major League Baseball players I can think of who wore that number - Ron Santo (Cubs), Leo Durocher (Reds and he was also on The Munsters). Phil Rizzuto (Yankees), Tony Gwynn when he was a Dodger, Tony La Russa (Athletics), Larry Bowa (Phillies), Dave Kingman (several teams), Chipper Jones (Braves), Ken Oberkfell (1982 world champion Cardinals and a few other teams), Dick Howzer (Yankees), Pepper Martin (Cardinals) , Coco Crisp on a couple of teams, Rusty Staub (for probably five or six teams), Clint Hurdle (Royals), Tony Kubek (Yankees), Rube Walker (both Brooklyn and L.A. Dodgers - I only know that one from the film Mask), Joe Morgan (a couple of teams before he became a Red because then he was number 8 - I had his jersey as a yute), Hank and Ed Sauer (both wore it with the Cardinals - not the same year, obviously)... I am sure there are many, many, many more but these are all that I can think of. Maybe that is why my brain keeps losing things. Perhaps, now that I typed all of that, I can purge my useless list of number 10 baseball player numbers. I bet there are many other greats from other major sports too but I am a baseball-first kinda guy. It is, supposedly, my country's national past-time after all (actually before all). I am not gonna check my Powerball numbers until I finish the blog because, if I do and win, I will probably not finish it today. A man has to have his priorities. Don't tell me if #10 was the Powerball number if you know.

I did a lot more reading and research for my novel last night. Hopefully, I can just publish it myself with my lottery winnings. I played the Mozart station on Pandora while I read. Wolfie was a pretty talented pervert; I sort of feel akin to him in a few ways. I felt kind of like I was listening to the soundtrack of A Clockwork Orange for awhile, though I think that was more of a little more when they played a bit of the Ludwig Van. The music helped and allowed me to finish reading the one book I was reading, decide that another I got at the library was not helpful for my research and read another book. I still have one left to look at but the library let me know that they have four on hold for me that have arrived from four other libraries that I had requested send them to my town library. If I remember correctly, one was actually a film or documentary. I am pretty excited about what I have uncovered so far. The one remaining book from the last batch is due back November 10th.

So, as the time-space continuum would allow it, I am back from the library having taken three books back and picking up two new books and one video (DVD). "But that is only three items and you said you were getting four," you might be thinking. Good work my dear Watson. The fourth item that I had reserved was another video but, as it turns out, has nothing to do with my research so I left that one behind. They were wrapped with my name on them when I arrived so I didn't have the chance to examine them before they checked them out for me. After they were opened I saw that one of them was the movie Trainspotting. I was familiar with the title but, as what's left of my memory serves, I don't remember seeing it. I really like Ewan McGregor and who doesn't love a good heroin addiction film? But I don't want to take my focus off the research I am doing right now because I am in a zone and I want to concentrate on that for the time being.

Tonight I will have about three hours to kill so I will probably watch the documentary then and, sometime today, I will try to finish the book that is due back on the 10th. It is a chilly and blustery out so I think I will keep it in for today. I thought about mowing all of the leaves in the front yard but I changed my mind about that with the weather as it is. I would say that maybe the wind will just blow them away but these are the parkway trees and the developer put them in front of everyone's house so, if our leaves blow away, we will just get somebody else's red leaves.

Jeff rode with me to the library and, after I went in and exchanged my goods, we drove to Katz Park to see how the new dog park is coming. It is still going to open Saturday and the dog park is huge (or UGE as Donald Trump would say). On the opening day there is a dog Halloween costume contest and Jeff says he would like to go and dress-up as Underdog. I didn't know he knew who Underdog was. He must watch that over at Kona's house? Maybe I could dress-up as Simon Bar Sinister to help tip it in. I learned a lot from watching the episode of Happy Days when Ritchie entered the Howdy Doody look-a-like contest to get a picture of Clarabell without his make-up. Costume contests are all about the presentation and not all about the costume itself. That reminds me- I still have my Howdy Doody ventriloquist doll from when I was a kid. Maybe we should take our act on the road?

Alright. If I am gonna get some reading done I had better stop writing. That is kind of ironic since I am reading so I can do more writing. Thank goodness there is no 'rithmetic. I may go and check the Powerball numbers and eat breakfast first. Have a great day and night. If you live near Longmont, Colorado though you are probably guaranteed a pretty nice day. Thank you for stopping by - TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment