Saturday, October 3, 2015

Maybe I am a Hippie? There are Worse Things to be!

 There is always something more we can do to help others 
Happy Saturday everyone. I haven't always thought that because, just a short time ago, this was my Monday. Now I like it because I get to spend more time with Cha Cha rather than sleeping all day so I could work all night.

I know for the last several Friday blogs I have talked about how I give money to homeless people in Chicago every Thursday night. Coincidentally, I saw THIS VIDEO this morning and it really touched me; it made me even more convinced that what I am doing is the right thing. Richard Gere (and Cha Cha) started the ball rolling but this will speed my roll (that's the opposite of "slow your roll"). I do not talk about it to try to sound like a great person because I have no delusions or illusions that I am a great person because I am not. It is my hope that, by talking about it, I can inspire other people to do similar things. Why is Christmas the only time of year when many of us feel charitable toward the people who need our help? I know many of you are charitable with time or money or donations to Salvation Army or Goodwill and do help others regularly but we can all do more. I am not trying to get into Heaven or Elysium or Nirvana or Arcadia or The Happy Hunting Grounds or Zion or Canaan or Doggy Heaven... because I know that isn't happening. I am just trying to help my fellow humans who need some TLC once in awhile and do good before I am shadows and dust. If someone fell down in front of you and couldn't get up wouldn't you offer to lend a hand to help them get up? Of course you would. I know you wouldn't just step over them or walk past them. I guess I am just a new-age hippie. I am starting to sound like I am on a soapbox and it's time to get off of it now.

I am very saddened by the recent shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon. We had a college shooting in 2008 here in the town we live in; it was horrific. I was not working at the police department at the University yet when it happened but it took a long time for our town to get back to normalcy. I remember reading something at the time that said the Northern Illinois University shooting was tied as the fifth deadliest shooting in United States history with the University of Iowa shooting of 1991. I was horrified that they compared the body-count like it was a sporting event. Quit setting bench-marks for the next shooter to try to top. I know the media outlets have to cover things like this and we do need to know to always remain vigilant but why encourage others to try to top the last event with the sensationalism? It is not sensational. The news, with the Oregon shooting, is saying how this most recent maniac (who I will not mention by name because notoriety is a lot of the problem) had studied other shootings and shooters. That makes me just as sick as the politicians using this as a vehicle to try to further their Presidential aspirations. Jeb Bush appears to have ended his chances by saying, of this shooting, that "stuff happens." These were people's family members. I am not that unsure that Bush was just being opportunistic and he didn't really want to run for President but felt it his family duty. Still, if I am correct in my feeling, you could have just manned-up and said, "I am not running" or just purposely tank in one of the many debates I did not have an ill-feeling toward him until this. Shame on me for having my radar down on that one. He would not have had my vote anyway.
Just so you know I didn't make this asinine comment up 

Sorry if I bummed you out today; maybe I am still acclimating to the Fall-like weather. Actually, Fall and Spring are my favorite two of the four. Jill and I are going to go out and get her a new coffee maker because one she has sucks and, believe me, we are doing everyone who knows her a favor because she really needs her coffee. I am not sure if I will blog tomorrow as I don't usually blog on Sundays but I do surprise you and myself there occasionally. Thanks for not giving-up on me and the blog and continuing to come back - even if we disagree on topics now and again. Have a great Saturday and Saturnight. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment