Sunday, October 11, 2015

Blog for History Past

(This first paragraph was supposed to be the beginning of Thursday's blog but I started an entire new one instead. So, since I wrote it I thought I may as well use it - a couple of days after the fact) Last night was Italian Night (inspired by Anthony of Prince Spaghetti fame) at the house in the MIDDLE and I went with manicotti. I have been making this dish since I was about ten years old. What else would a person of  primarily German - Irish heritage make? If you want my simple recipe send me a message and I will send it too you. FYI - I am one of those cooks that seldom measures things so I will be as close to accurate as I can be. Yesterday, on the blog, I put the days / dishes of our meals on the blog. We did not have a theme for Saturdays and my good friend Ed suggested, since Saturday was Samstag, we have it be German food. MAde sense to me: I thought it a fabulous idea but a lot of German food really is not that good. Maybe "European Night Inspired By Eddie Z!" I am doing much better with my portion-control as I used to (about a month ago) over-cook and waste food. Tuesday night, for instance - Taco (Mexican Food) Tuesday, I made six enchiladas and a small amount of my house-famous cilantro corn and a little bit of Mexican rice. We each had one enchilada that night and we each had one for lunch yesterday. Of course, I also made guacamole. I have been making Cha Cha's lunch from the left-overs and, as she tells me (perhaps lying - though she is not a liar so I do not know why I would think that) that the people at work are jealous of her lunches. Maybe I need to buy a food truck and go to her work at lunch times. No, I won't do that.
Was it Christopher Columbus?

Tomorrow is Columbus Day in America and I am reading all of the stories about how we should abolish this semi-holiday because Christopher Columbus was, supposedly, the beginning of what we in the United States of America call the slave-trade. From what I have read from some credible and some sources I am not sure how credible be would also rape indigenous people and destroy their homes... So, I guess Columbus didn't discover America he attacked and conquered it if all the accounts am reading are correct. We know that there were people living here before Columbus arrived and there is a lot of evidence/proof that Columbus took the people back to Spain to serve King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. It was so lucrative that Columbus did the same thing to the island people in the Caribbean. And. it is said, that eventually he was the one who began the slave trade from Africa and the Indies. I would have rather not had days off of school to celebrate this douche bag had I known that. How come there isn't a movie about this? It could be a mini-series like Roots or a film like Amistad.

Last night we went on a ghost tour of Carbondale, Illinois. I went to school here in the mid-1980's and had never heard any of these stories. It was very interesting and some of the murders and things that we walked by were near the house where I lived the last semester I was at SIU. It was pretty fun whether it ghosts are real or not. I am sure the stories of the murders and such were true but I am not convinced that there are ghosts. I have to say that. if you are into that sort of thing, I highly recommend the Key West, Florida ghost tour.

It is fun being back in my college town but I got carried away with drinking while watching the Cardinals - Cubs play-off game at Pinch Penny Pub. Talk about ghosts from college past. I became one of the people that I hate for a short while. I was talking crap on the internet about the game and I abhor that kind behavior. I don't drink much anymore because I don't really see the sense in it most of the time. I know some people need that to loosen-up but I have never really been too shy. I can talk to anyone about anything anytime. When you are back in your college town and all of those ghosts of college past come back it is difficult to avoid the haunting. Anyway, the series is tied 1-1 and it will continue to be fun to watch no MATTer the outcome (though the Cardinals winning would make me a more pleasant person).
Haunted from very gruesome murder / controversy 

we are going out to breakfast with Splenda and Andy so I have to wrap-up. I may blog again tomorrow but we have our five hour (six for most others) drive back to the North tomorrow. That reminds me- on the ghost your that guy said that this part of Illinois was full of Southern sympathizers during the American Civil War. I did not know we were a  split state on that issue. And we call ourselves The Land of Lincoln! I am disappointing in you southern Illinois ghosts who thought slavery was okay. I am very disappointed in you.

Thank you for stopping by. I may or may not blog again tomorrow. Monday for 87% certain. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and Beginning of Slavery in the Americas Day tomorrow if you have that day off. TTTT or Monday...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment