Friday, March 20, 2015

I Live in Such a High Tech Town

At least I wear a little something
I hope all that talk about first impressions is bunk. While walking out of the garage this morning with the few straggling bags of garbage while wearing my very old maroon draw-string sweatpants and the over-sized, stained, Babe Ruth T-shirt I bought at the old Yankee Stadium many years ago and my University of Illinois Croc's that look so old that maybe Babe Ruth himself had worn them adorning my feet I met the new neighbor. I also had not combed my hair and went without my usual baseball hat to hide the askewed hair. She was walking into her new house and I said "good morning" and she responded in kind. I then asked the fairly obvious question (because simultaneously I noticed the "sold" sign was no longer in the yard) - "are you our new neighbor?" Which she replied, "yes, I am." I then said."welcome" and she said "thank you." She then, looking at the basketball hoop and the menagerie of basketballs adorning our front yard said, "you have a basketball player!" I said "yes we do, do you have one too?" To which she said "my grandson but he is only eight." I said "my son is 18 but I am sure he would love to play basketball with your grandson." I did not mention that my son is well over six feet tall - that will be a surprise. So, I welcomed her to the neighborhood and inadvertently taught her which day of the week is garbage day and that I am not really hung-up on appearances. She pretty much knows everything she needs to know about me and life in a cul-de-sac.

I spent most of the day running around the city of Rockford looking at what was available for mixing boards and microphones. I eventually made the decision and purchase. I have been reading manuals and playing with the equipment but have not been having very much luck. I can see why sound engineers make so much money. I thought I would take a break and then go back with a fresh mind and maybe figure it out. Cha Cha will be home soon too and she is far more techy than I am (or is it techer?). I am looking forward to doing the show but I want to do it right.

The Jeep Patriot is an awesome car to travel in (I look it to Rockford as you might imagine). The technology in there is awesome. I used the GPS on the screen in the console to navigate around to where I was going. I played Pandora through my phone while charging the phone as well. I listened to the Pink "station" on the way up and around the city and played AC/DC on the way back. I may have mentioned it before but Pink is so much better when she can leave the curse words in her songs. It makes it seem more angry and edgy. I wish I could find a Mel Gibson to wear while I am driving around in The Patriot.

On the way to Rockford there was a copicer (I think I picked that up for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) with his lights going coming my way behind three cars who were not pulling over. I pulled over, as we are supposed to do) and, as he passed me going east while I was pulled-over on the side of the road facing west, he waved at me. It was like a thank-you wave. It is nice to be thanked sometimes even when you are just doing what you are supposed to do. It seems that the copicers in Malta are pretty appreciative.

It is now 2011 (time not year) and it does not look like we are going to record the new show tonight. We are going to record it, one way or another, in the morning, Cha Cha looked at the new stuff a bit and then we went out for dinner and now we are both tired. We went to dinner at Twin's Tavern her in town. Dinner was pretty crappy and then, when we got the bill, it was hand written on a little piece of paper like one of the ones from the little tiny notebook I carry with me wherever I go. Though you know I tell the truth 94.6% of the time here I took a photo so you would believe me. I always think about you. I felt like taking out my little pad and drawing some dead President's faces on the papers and giving them to her as payment. I think 108 must have been our table number maybe? I do not think we will go back there again.

I am going to go back down to the studio and see if I can figure this technology out. I am pretty tired so I do not have much faith in the outcome. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Maybe we should get someone to be our Engineer or something.

Okay, enough. Thank you for stopping by. Sorry I am posting this so late but that's life in fast-paced, slam-bam, live on the razor's edge, laugh in the face of death world of blogging. I started this several hours ago but I am a really, really, really slow typist. Maybe I should start writing the blog on little pieces of paper and just posting photos of my notes? Have a great night and tomorrow. I will let you know when the show is ready. IT WILL BE READY! You can always check the Dirty Laundry Podcast Facebook page too. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment