Thursday, March 12, 2015

All of THE Sudden I Will Show My War Face!

Stop and wait for the WALK sign - this one reads Don't Walk
I had thought that getting off of work two hours earlier than usual would have been fantastic. As my parents used to say when I was a kid - "that's why you don't get paid to think." That seemed kind of funny when I was a kid and wasn't getting paid to do anything but now, as adults, we ARE paid to think. Anyway, I guess we get into routines (as you know) with our situations and circumstances and even something seemingly great can cause havoc. This was nothing catastrophic but just inconvenienced me a bit. I think I am back on track now at 1132.

I heard something last night that drives me crazy. I may have mentioned it here before. I am a fan of the language I speak and write and comprehend fairly well. Granted, my typos make it appear that I am a moron from time-to-time but typing and keystrokes are not my native ways of communicating - as evolution goes I am way behind in those practices as my four fingers do the work of ten. Anyway, I cannot stand when people say "all of the sudden." It is an idiom which means that it is not necessarily a literal meaning so maybe it can be acceptable either way. It may be cultural differences that cause one or the other? It may just be that the phrase is spoken rather quickly many times and it is heard incorrectly. Maybe it doesn't really MATTer and I am just a picky-puss. Like me, idioms follow their own rules sometimes and no rules at all other times depending on the circumstance. I guess I will just try to let that one go and just continue to deal with it my mind.

Here is a MATT with a War Face
Another thing that drives me crazy, and I have blogged about it before, is when I am driving and I come up to an intersection to make a right turn with a green light and people see me coming and then walk across the street (in the crosswalk which is good so they are visible at least) when there are bright orange lights in their face (it almost always dark out when this happens so the orange is very bright) that read "DON'T WALK." I know we all get caught in a situation when we are in the walk and the light changes while we are in the MIDDLE of the road but I bet, as a kind, courteous and intelligent person, you speed-up your gait to get out of the average 4,079 pound vehicle's way (yes, that is the average weight of a vehicle in America - no need to fact-check me). I have people just look at me defiantly with no regard to another human's plight or life. I have many back-stories for the people who do this and I usually have a mini-novel sketched-out in my head about their lives in my mind before they get all the way across the street. I just keep a poker face on as I do not want to let them know they are getting my goat just a tiny bit. I know they cannot read so they won;t see it here - if they could read they could have made out two little bright orange four-letter words and one apostrophe (DON'T WALK)! Bottom line is, and I have lived my entire driving life with this knowledge, "pedestrians ALWAYS have the right-of-way" even though I would think many would be wise not to use it all of the time. Maybe they can see on my face that I am not a lunatic. Maybe I am too mild-MATTered and need to get a crazy face or something. I wonder how showing them my War Face would go over?

Because I have a difficult time letting things go from time-to-time - I just Googled "all of  the sudden" and all the photos that came up read "all of a sudden." We all know that Google is the new Miriam Webster (yes, I know it's "Merriam Webster" but that was funnier in a moronic, ironic sort of way).

It sounds like the banks minds at Walt Disney Studios are planning on remaking a bunch of their old films again. I suppose that is easier than turning another of a bazillion fairy tales or camp stories or fables or novels or legends... into movies. So now, with the success of Meleficent as a live-action film many other Disney films will be rolling our way with live action soon too. Cinderella is coming out next and The Jungle Book (not sure if they will use the word "The" though) is going to be made, Tim Burton is supposed to be making Dumbo (I predict Johnny Depp will be in there but probably not Helena Bonham Carter), Beauty and the Beast...
I guess shorts made of the flag and using Old Glory as a cape is fine though
Wow, now it is 1609 already. We went to lunch (all four of us - the entire immediate family) and I went and filled the fuel tank of Splenda's Jeep and now she is on the six hour journey back to the even better weather than we are having now. I miss her already.

I heard on the radio that there is a lot of controversy surrounding a photo of a baby wrapped in Old Glory (The American Flag). A mother took a photograph of her eight-day-old baby in the flag being held by a seaman (among other photos) and shared it on Facebook. That damn Facebook is nothing but trouble. She received nearly 4,000 likes but she started receiving negative comments too saying things like "the flag is not a prop..." There were also many negative comments aimed at the Navy man who was in some of the photos with his name on his uniform clearly visible. The woman complained to Facebook saying that she was being harassed and cyber bullied but Facebook said that this is not bullying. Wasn't Facebook started on the principal of bullying? That's what the movie The Social Network taught me anyway, "you don't get 500,000,000 friends without making a few enemies." Also, isn't the American Flag merely a prop or a symbol? The red is supposed to be a symbol of the blood that was shed to start this nation, the blue is supposed to represent justice and freedom and the white is supposed to be a prop for purity. The stars were props for the original 13 colonies. If they had used the one made by Betsy Ross or the one raised or "propped"-up at Iwo Jima I may feel differently but, probably not.

Okay, I have to get another load of laundry done and clean the kitchen. Thank you for stopping-by. I am always so happy that you read this and, on occasion, you comment. Thank you, thank you. Have a great Thursday night. I hop you are having nice weather where you are. I am not complaining here. TTTT (sometime)...MITM (I may actually check those Power Ball tickets to see if I need to buy more tomorrow or not) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment