Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Free Works! (most of the time)

I have been a sports fan from even before I was born. I think I was supposed to be a Cubs' fan from some photos I see of myself uniformed as a baby but, luckily, somewhere I picked up an immunity to that virus and am not. I kid Cubs' fans and visa versa but I really do admire people who can stay faithful to teams that are perennial losers, in most cases, just because of proximity to that team or because they were broadcast on a "superstation.". Anyway, the reason I began this blogging diatribe; I cannot stand the major sports going to these rules that teams can challenge calls. I am speaking mainly of baseball and football. Being the suspicious cynic (and old crotchety poop) that I am I know it is so the teams can extend the games to sell more food and beverages and souvenirs at the games and so the networks can sell more food and beverages in the way of more advertising dollars to: Papa John's and Anheiser-Busch and Pepsi and Coca-Cola and McDonald's and Miller Brewing Company and Pizza Hut and Subway... not to mention all of the communication companies (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T....) and sports companies (Nike, Adidas, Dick's Sports...) and insurance companies (State Farm, Geico...) not to mention the networks advertising their shows - need I blog more? I would almost rather have every sport go to a pay-per-view forMATT. I would love the ability to pay to watch individual games of the St. Louis Cardinals whenever I have time. Or, even the option of choosing to pay for my favorite teams for even one season (season-by-season basis). Did I mention that the Cardinals are, once again, the National League Central champions? If they go the World Series this season I AM going one of the games again. I would say the 2006 World Series was easily the best ballgame I ever went to other than watching and/or coaching my kids when they were younger. For the stories and circumstances just as much as the game itself. With my DirecTV converter or, whatever that box is called these days, I think there is the capability to have at least 9,999 channels. There is probably LOTS more money available to the greedy with advertising money though. At least the Green Bay Packers have the name Green in their name. But, ironically, they are fan/share-holder owned. 360,584 people own the Packers (representing 5,011,557 shares). That means you know that big shots own about 4,500,000 of the shares but I still think that is pretty cool.

The new Dirty Laundry Podcast (free with only occasional phony bologna ads) is recorded and in the process of being edited. It is free at that link and also free on iTunes. I cannot say it will always be free because we never know what the future holds for us until it becomes the present but, we have no plans on charging for it in the foreseeable future. I see that we have received a lot of downloads from Bulgaria this week. I have to go down to the studio and see if there is a little pin in the map there. I am amazed that people find us and continue to listen to us all of the world. It truly is humbling and it drives us to keep going; we feel like we have an obligation to people I think. Free works (we are even Free to parts of the world that don't live free). I like to feel that we are pirate podcasters in the un-free parts of the world.
Don't make me go L.T. on yo ass
Work has been interesting this week (and it was only my second Wednesday last night). Your Friday, which was my pre-Monday, was the most exciting. The highlight of my night was when I actually ran-down a 19-year-old dude. I will pause there for a moment and let that one sink in --- a MIDDLE-aged, fat man running down a tall, seemingly well-conditioned 19-year-old and catching him.(insert interlude music here) For you youngsters out there, experience and sobriety trumps youth and stamina every time. Okay, at least this time. I was like a MIDDLE linebacker (pretty much Lawrence Taylor) - I played the angle. As it sits now, I am actually going to get my two regular nights off this week. And, with my Sergeant being off tonight and tomorrow night, there there is little chance of that not happening. We really take these little things for granted sometimes don't we?

The film Groundhog Day is on right now. I have an odd feeling that I have seen this movie before.

I am gonna end because I like to keep these short. I don't want reading to be a chore for anyone. I will let you know when the new show is ready and, I will blog again tomorrow. I cannot believe how excited I am that I have two days off this week and one of those will be spent watching the Cardinals neat the Dodgers. I am predicting a Cardinals-Angels World Series. Pujols coming back to play in St. Louis in October just seems to have baseball sentiment written all over it. Have a nice fall-feeling night tonight. Thanks a lot for stopping by. TTTT...MITM (out).

No comments:

Post a Comment