Wednesday, January 4, 2012

@ - that's all just @

Happy MIDDLEday (Wednesday). I am sorry that I didn't blog yesterday but hopefully the Dirty Laundry Podcast kept you from having withdrawals. The lack of sleep and burning the candle at both ends and in the MIDDLE caught up with me and I knew that I was driving to Chicago last night and that is never a good idea when not at at least 80% effective.

We took the kids to Chicago last night to see Blue Man Group. First we stopped at Ed Debevic's for dinner and then went to the show. Ed Debevic's, if you are not familiar, is a restaurant that appears to be like a diner kind of like in the movie Diner but the wait staff is sorta mean to you. Not really mean but they are extremely rude and if your grandparents went in there by accident they would probably be offended with the terrible service. They throw napkins and straws at you when you ask for them and do that sort of thing. Our waiter commented on my horrible fashion-sense and made fun of Fabio's haircut (it was funny but I will not say what was said for loyalty to my son and knowing how he hates being the center of attention even though he had gone here with his friend before and requested to go here - ironic). The waiter also made fun of Splenda for ordering a veggie burger (she is a total vegetarian) that was made on the same grill as hamburgers calling her a hypocrite. It was always funny as long as you have a sense of humor about yourself. We are all lame in at least a few ways and we have to be able to laugh at ourselves I think. He probably thought that Cha Cha either doesn't have a sense of humor about herself, would take him down or would cry because he didn't make fun of her one time.

We then went to the Briar Street Theater to see Blue Man Group. I love the neighborhood that the theater is in (probably because it's "artsy" and I am "metro-artsical" - I love that new word of mine there) and wished we had just eaten at one of the restaurants by the theater - especially the one that had a HUMONGOUS neon advertising the world's largest or best margaritas or something like that. I guess the sign  didn't do it's job on me since I can't remember exactly what it said. Cha Cha and I have seen Blue Man before and knew the kids would love it. We got there and went to our seats in the fourth row. We put on our ponchos that they supplied us and sat down and waited for the show to start. The show was great and had changed a lot since Cha Cha and I had seen it with Nature Girl and Dr. Richard Guzinya several years ago. I guess that's how you get people to come back is by changing the show. The main message of the show was about modern technology and you know how I love topics that point fun of modern culture and ourselves as I do here just about every day. I was disappointed, however, that I never got anything on my clear plastic garbage bags with arm homes and a hood. Next time I go I am gonna go commando (no poncho) and just wear cruddy clothes instead. I highly recommend the show.

When we first got there I went to the washroom and as I was entering the washroom a man and I almost ran into one another. I said "excuse me" as I always do when something like this occurs and he said the me, "forgive me." He looked like a "pardon me" kinda-person and I don't know that I have ever hear anyone say "forgive me" in a situation like this. I wish I had been thinking and not had to pee so badly because I would have performed the sign of the cross and said "I forgive you my son now go in peace" (or maybe "I forgive you my son now go and pee") but I was ill-prepared and was on a mission that I could not afford to fail. I will have this weapon in my holster the next time this comes up...which it probably won't. There was a hidden double entendre in that last sentence that I didn't even plan - see how metro artsical I am using phrases like double entendre?

What's the deal with "@?" I am a huge fan of language and writing even though I abuse them so but is there a name for @or is it just called "the at sign?" Isn't that the ampersand? I am not sure and I don't want to look it up because then I wouldn't write about it. The reason it came up is when we were driving into Chicago last night from our FAR FAR west cornfield we started discussing how when we go shopping and are checking out most stores now will have their cashiers ask for your email address supposedly to send you great deals & (what's that sign called "the 'and' sign?") coupons and some such lie. I know it's so they can sell my information to someone and they get rich while I get inundated with emails I don't want to get so I always refuse. I have decided that I am gonna make-up fake email adresses to give them because I know the cashier is just doing their job and have to get so many email addresses or get yelled at so I will help them out while screwing with the companies that screw with me all the time with their inflated prices and fake sales and the lot. I am leaning toward "I love crossdressing@aol.com" or "Ihatestoreswhowantmyemail@birdfart.net" or "heybabyletshookup@junglelove.org." Maybe I will just come up with them on the spot depending on my feeling at the time. I thing this could become a new art-form that the Blue Man Group could comment on in later years.


I have today off work but we are going to a family Christmas party at Cha Cha's-side of the family tonight and I have completely shirked my purchasing of an ugly ornament responsibilities. I have to get this done today and hope there are still Christmas ornaments out there or I am screwed. I feel I should have won this contest the last several years but I have been screwed by the committee. I am too competitive even in something like this. Everybody always thinks they're gonna win and I am happy for the tough competition. If and when I do win this contest I want it to be against the very best champions in the world so I hope they keep bringing their A-games so when I finally do win it will taste as sweet as I imagine. Good luck to all of tonight's competitors but I am coming for blood (says the guy who hasn't even bought his ornament yet).

Have a great day and by putting that great big "at sign" on the blog made me decide on a new signature...M@ what do you think? Make sure to listen to the podcast and like us on The Facebook. I am shooting for 1,000 "likers" on the Dirty Laundry Podcast Facebook page by December 21st, 2012. TTTT....M@ITM (gone to buy an ugly ornament) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment