Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Froshest Blog In Town!

Happy Humpday. I am sorry this is so late today but the day just got away from me. Got off work and then took Fabio to school, took the dog to the groomer, went grocery shopping, worked in the garage, passed out between shifts, and now I am writing this before I have to pick-up Fabio and his pals from basketball practice.

Fabio's first high school basketball game is next Friday which isn't neither hear-nor-there to you but looking at the schedule I was reminded of something that has always puzzled me (there's a lot of things that puzzle and/or bother me which is why I have a blog I think). Why are the freshmen referred to as "FROSH" on things that require abbreviating like sports schedules? Is there something derogatory about the term "FRESH?" In foods (bread, fruits, vegetables...) fresh is very good. If this were a recent change with the situation going on at Penn State I could understand but it has been FROSH for as long as I can remember. The Urban Dictionary says it is short for "froshling" but I don't see that word anywhere but in the Urban Dictionary either. Fresh makes sense in that they are fresh into high school too. I know you must know the answer to this because you are so much smarter than me so please let me know.

I got my first paycheck from my new job and I was delighted to see that I made much more money than I thought I would have. This new job is an hourly position and when I looked at the stub to try to figure out why I was being paid more than I was supposed to I noticed that I had 80 hours regular hours (two - 40 hour weeks as we are paid every two weeks) and 80 hours at time-and-a-half. Being an idiot an honest guy I told my boss right away and after she checked it out it turns out that a mistake was made somewhere and now I will not get a check next time and the one following that will only be about half as big as it should be. I guess it's nice that I got a lot this time. It was weird because with direct deposit I never look at my pay stubs which probably isn't very wise but I have an idea about how much should be in the bank deposit and if it's wrong I will check the stub. In this case, however, I received the stub before the money went into my account but something told me to check the stub - probably because it was the first check of a new job and it's still like Christmas morning even though I opened the stub on Christmas Eve. Anyway, now they know that I am an idiot honest guy. I am a big believer in karma and I know that virtue is its own reward (even though sometimes stupid). He...now if I die before my next paycheck I am money ahead.

I hear that Jerry Seinfeld is taking over for Regis Philbin. That means that all of the hooplah about the show "auditioning" different hosts for the job was all a bunch of crap the whole time. Who is this Jerry Seinfeld anyway? Who are these guest hosts? It was weird because I wrote it down yesterday to write about this in today's blog and I received a Facebook message from one of my "best good friends" MADYM that kinda touched on the same thing but what she wrote I didn't even think of even though I had written about my retire/dead theory a couple of weeks ago. She asked "Matt, are you as concerned as I am about the fate of Regis Philbin? We all saw what happened to Andy Rooney after he quit his TV show..." I cannot even believe I didn't get the Steve Jobs/Andy Rooney to Regis Philbin connection. I don't wish bad on anybody and I think Regis is a pretty cool dude but this may be the #3 in that celebrities die in threes death thing (I really hope not because then I will feel like the blog has voodoo juju attached to it). MADYM, the next time I am unable or unwilling or uninterested in writing the blog you are the new permanent guest host blogger. You are my heir apparent!!!! 
And I call myself a Maris/Cardinals fan

While reading, because I know how to do that now, I discovered something I didn't know - funny how reading does that to a person. I feel stupid I didn't know this because one of my all-time favorite baseball players is Roger Maris and my favorite baseball team is THE WORLD CHAMPION ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!!!  I didn't realize that Roger Maris was a St. Louis Cardinal after he left the Yankees. You think that would have come up more often when Mark McGwire, a St. Louis Cardinal, was trying to break his record for most home runs in a season (which he eventually did). That record is just surrounded by **asterisks** isn't it? My top five baseball players of all-time, in no particular order are: Ozzie Smith, Roberto Clemente, Roger Maris, Jackie Robinson, Albert Pujols, Pete Rose (in case it comes up in MITM Trivial Pursuit and yes, I know that is six players). And Babe Ruth - now that's seven though Mickey Mantle was #7.

I just went and got Fabio and a couple of his teammates from practice and now I am back (I was gone for half-an-hour and you didn't even know it. Stealthiness is next to Blogliness!


I have much more to write which will make tomorrow's blog actually interesting maybe. Thank you for being here - I appreciate you every day. I will be able to blog earlier tomorrow because I got all of my todos done today (most of them anyway). TTTT...MITM (out at the plate- it must be dinner time).

1 comment:

  1. Since your top 5 list has 7 or 8 players you might as well throw Hank Aaron in there too.

    ReplyDelete