Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Weekend Media Blog

Happy weekend. I just finished working out, going to the bank, starting a load of laundry and now I shall blog before heading to Boiling High School. I really need to find the nail clippers. My fingernails are making it hard to perform typos on this keyboard. How do women text or type with long fingernails? Yet another concrete piece of evidence that they are the superior gender.

Yesterday we went to a MATTinee of Harry Potter Whatever Part 2. You know that I am not a Potter-head but this movie was really good. Even though I am not as big of a Harry Potter fan as all of the other three members of my house (Slytherin) I have seen all of the films and have liked three of them (#1, #3 and this one whichever number it is). You know how I feel about passion for anything (I am passionate about passion) and these people love their Harry Potter. There were people dressed like wizards and there was a lot of clapping and such during the movie.

Have you seen that PBS show Faces of America? It's a show hosted by the very pompous-seeming Henry C. Gates that traces the lineage/family tree of a celebrity. I heard that he had Kyra Sedgwick on the show (Kevin Bacon's wife) and she is distant cousins of Marilyn Monroe, Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon. That kind of thing would be cool to find out about yourself. She also found out that she may be less than one degree from Kevin Bacon. Apparently, she and her husband are 10th cousins once-removed. Now I want to see photos of their kids. Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt were 5th cousins once-removed too - who cares? I don't even have any idea how I would get to my 10th cousins or even my 5th cousins. Maybe Cha Cha is my 11th cousin once-removed with a half-gainer and a lime twist.
What-up Cuz!

Have you ever thought about running for politics? There is a town in North Carolina called Tar Heel where there are three commission seats open that nobody is running for. The position of Mayor is open too and nobody is running. The ballot left the names blank so people can write names in. I figure four of us move to Tar Heel, grab up these three commission seats (and you can be Mayor) and start making some big changes in this town of 117 people. We four would be almost 4% of the entire town's population. We already have 4% of the vote and we haven't even added our names to the ballot. The election isn't until Fall (I prefer to call it Autumn) so we have time to move on down. Come on...whose in? I'll drive. You could be our first mayor on the podcast.

You know that I am already cheesed that we have to pay for television now (cable, satellite...) and they still have the audacity to fill every hour with 25 minutes or so of commercials. The other night I was watching Batman Begins on AMC (that's an American Movie Classic already?). You know the little irritating letters in the bottom right-hand corner that appear on every station because we're too stupid to know which channel we're on without them? AMC, every once in a while, would blow the letters up to half the size of the screen to totally distract you from the movie to be like a three-year-old craving attention. Then it would shrink back down to the corner but it added a mini advertisement. So, now not only am I going to have to reevaluate Netflix's I have to decide if I want to keep being knocked over the head by advertisers. Speaking of that - have you heard the latest Dirty laundry Podcast free on iTunes and at that link I just added back there? Maybe that's different because you don't pay for this blog or that podcast but maybe I need to reexamine my advertising practices too.

Speaking of podcasts legendary Chicago broadcaster Steve Dahl has been doing a podcast for quite awhile (since 2009) since leaving conventional radio. He currently does a daily podcast that I have heard his show several times. Honestly, I think ours is better but my opinion may be a bit skewed - though I have heard the same thing for others (really). Beginning August 1st Dahl is going to begin charging a "subscription" rate of $9.95 per month to listen to his podcast. I could get Netflix streaming for $7.99 per month. I am listening to his podcast while I type this but I think my listening will probably end July 30th. I am not a regular listener but I listen from time to time - I am listening now because I am writing about it. I cannot recall if he has advertisers but If he does I will definitely put him in the same category with: cable, satellite television... According to Dahl he has 13,000 followers. That's about $130,000 per year for doing what we do for free though he does it daily and we only do it weekly. It will be interesting to see what happens. People freaked out when cable television started too but Ted Turner knew better and here we are paying for television. Satellite radio hasn't taken off like they had hoped. Are we at the precipice of another media change? This will be interesting.

Gotta shower so I don't smell at "Boiling" High School. I hope you have a great day. I still need to find those damned nail clippers because this typing is getting tough. Maybe I will see you at the Country Car Show in Elburn though their website doesn't have the hours on it (according to Cha Cha) so I don't know if they go on late enough? TTT?...MITM (to clip and buff)

No comments:

Post a Comment