Sunday, January 26, 2014

From Zero to Liberal in No Time

Last week at this time I was headed to Champaign on my Saturday. This week I have a cold, which is much better than it was yesterday thankfully, and it is my Tuesday. No wonder I am sick - time travel takes a lot more out of you that you might think. The MIDDLEwest is being pounded by some more bad weather. Last night I drove around in a blizzard all night long. No plows until 04:00. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of -8 (that is minus eight degrees Fahrenheit). Wind chills, I am certain, will take us down to near 30 below zero again. Hopefully we will not get back to those near negative 50 temps. School districts in the area have already cancelled school for tomorrow. I am hoping that my work closes for another "Admin Closure" because, even though I will still have to work because we are "essential," I will get compensated 2 1/2 times; my regular pay plus 10.5 hours of "comp time." Time I can use for sick time or vacation time... just time off that I get paid for; sweet. Maybe the cold will start kicking in tonight and last through tomorrow night and I will get two days of bonus time. I like that they let me believe that I am "essential." I know that I am not "of the utmost importance" as Merriam-Webster refers to me but, it is a wonderful fiction.

I just increased our family expenditures by $17.99/month; I added HBO to our package. If you listened to our most recent Dirty Laundry Podcast you will know what show finally made me break-down and do this. I am sure that will not be enough to entice you to listen to the podcast if you already haven't but, it's worth a try; you could click that link right now and listen while you surf the interwebnetdeal. The show I am referring to isn't the only reason I added HBO. I also found that HBO is the only place I can watch Deadwood on demand (another spark that was re-lit by recording this week's show). I think Deadwood and Band of Brothers are two of the best series I have ever seen and, I have seen many more than the average bear. I have also added HBOGo to my phone so I can watch it: waiting for the doctor, on break at work, dropping a deuce (that means folding a bad hand while playing poker right?), lying in bed, waiting for podcasts to upload, at airports, on planes or trains, in line for any number of things, working on "Admin Closure" nights when nothing is going on....

Since I am one to waste my breath.... I am sure that gun regulations would have done nothing to save the lives of the two young adults who were working at the mall in Maryland yesterday right? I remember the days of working Saturdays at the mall watching the clock tick so you could go out Saturday night. I don't remember some 19-year-old asshole coming in and blowing my brains out though. Not that I would have remembered it had it happened I guess. This country, ironically, is turning into one giant city of Deadwood with thousands of Jack McCalls and Bob Fords running around. We always scoffed at all of the third-world countries with their bloodshed and now, we are becoming one of those countries. The world has to be laughing at us and our holier than thou attitudes of telling them how to live their lives just to find out that we wanted to be more like them all along it appears. We were jealous apparently. Go ahead and send me all of your messages about liberal this and bleeding-heart that and how the Constitution says I can kill my neighbor if he steels my pig or something. You are wrong and I am right! You will NEVER convince me that killing another human being just for sport or because you are bored or your mommy took your X-Box away from you or whatever B.S. reason you used to kill someone for no reason is okay. Oh yeah, I forgot, you are so brave and tough that you went and killed yourself at the end so that you didn't have to be somebody's "wife" in prison. Pussy! At least give me a gun and we'll step off 25 paces or something. Give me a chance. Instead you kill me while I am wearing a stupid ugly-colored Polo with a store logo and a badge that reads "My Name Is Matt In The Middle. How May I Help You?" You're gonna kill yourself anyway - coward!
Just give me a fighting chance, you coward!
I got so fired up that I wrote a few run-on sentences and dangled some participles... I don't even have it in me to proofread this (I seldom do anyway as I am sure you have noticed). I have to stop now and get some stuff done before work. Have a great rest of your weekend (maybe extended for many of you because of the pending weather). Thanks a lot for letting me rant. I know many of you agree with me and many of you do not and, that is okay. It is healthy, in fact. If you are gonna shoot me over it, however, please give me a fighting chance. Be warned - I am a  pretty good aim for a bleeding-heart liberal. I always thought of myself as more of a moderate but, the insanity in recent months and years has made me swing much more to the left - my life now matches my golf swing.

TTTT (probably)...MITM (calming down now) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment