Monday, August 13, 2012

"Hangin' Around...Nuthin' to do but Blog!"


Hit it Roz! "bloggin' to myself and feeling old"
It's a fabulous day; at least by my standards. The best thing is that it's raining. I love the rain. I  have always loved the soothing feeling rain gives me. It's Monday for you but it's Friday for me (Friday is another thing I like - duh). This "Friday" is even a better Friday because I took yesterday off so it's like a one day week. Fridays used to mean a lot more to me when I hated my job. I like my job now, mainly because I am not in charge of people and the one I am in charge of (me) I know pretty well even though we don't get along sometimes, so Fridays aren't that big a deal but I think as U.S. of Americans it is just ingrained in us from the time we enter school and Friday is the last day of the school week.

Yesterday was Cha Cha's birthday and I gave her exactly what she wanted - a day without me. Also tickets to see The Book of Mormon (in January) and the kids got her a certificate for a 90-minute massage. I gave her two tickets to The Book of Mormon in hopes that maybe she'd take me but I would be cool with her taking MADYM I guess. It is only a coincidence that I got her tickets for a Wednesday show and that just happens to be one of my days off. I was happy that she wanted to see that show. I am a fan of Matt Stone and Trey Parker so I am sure it will be good. I think it won a Tony award or something. Supposedly it's "God's favorite musical." The show pokes fun of organized religion and traditional musical theater - sounds a lot like a podcast I am familiar with. I am so tired of Matt and Trey thinking they are Matt and Jill.
Carl Panzram's silhouette above the pipe organ at The Portage 

Yesterday I went to Chicago to the World Premiere Screening of John Borowski's new film Carl Panzram: The Spirit of Hatred and Vengeance at the Portage Theater. John Dillinger would have had a better time on his night out had he chosen the Portage over the Biograph. Maybe Melvin Pervis would have figured that out though huh? What a beautiful theater and it really added to a film about a man who was alive at the time that this theater was in it's hay day or maybe even at it's beginning. I ended-up going to the premiere alone and the person I went with really got on my nerves sometimes; he's always so bossy and needs everything his way. The theater is right near the Subway and I ate there. When I say Subway I mean the sandwich joint not that trainy thing. I love visiting Chicago. The theater was in a neighborhood setting (a Chicago-type neighborhood, that is) and I roamed around a bit before the show. Since it was Sunday, or maybe it is an everyday occurrence, there was a boombox in a window of one of the apartment buildings blaring old-timey religious music. It sounded like music from Oh Brother, Where Art Thou! I love that movie and I love that kind of music with the banjos and mandolins so I stood there a little but just listening to the music. Maybe Cheese-its Jesus was talking to me?

I like John Borowski's films a lot. I think the best thing about them, for me, is that I learn things while being entertained. The three films that I have seen I have learned about people that I didn't even knew existed. One, H.H. Holmes, was America's first serial killer and operated out of Chicago, very near us,  and I didn't even know about him until Cha Cha and I stumbled upon John's film on PBS or something one night several years ago. Then for us to run-across the H.H. Holmes thing and meet John and get to know him on the podcast... seems like fate to me. I am Professor Fate! The best thing about the John Borowski's films for me, besides the fact that they are amazing, is that John is a great guy and it's not a fake nice guy deal he is genuinely a nice guy who appreciates people appreciating him. I am not going to talk too much about the film because he is coming back on Dirty Laundry Podcast in the next couple of weeks when his new film goes to DVD to talk about the film and deliver the copy that I pre-ordered in person. How many times do you suppose Albert Hitchcock delivered copies' of Rear Window or Vertigo to someone?

While there I spoke to several people regarding the podcast. I talked to one of The World Famous Crawlspace Brothers who is going to send me some music that we can play on the podcast - I always love music on the podcast and especially if it's gonna be about serial killers (LOL). I spoke with Willie Adkins from Illinois Ghost Hunters and Spookshow Entertainment for awhile. I met a few actors and filmmakers who are going to send me some stuff for review and potentially being guests. I spoke with the person who is putting together the radio/podcasting network for a little while about the network and it sounds like it is a 12 - 18 month project to get it launched but it sounds very cool to me. A lot of people asked me, "what's the show about?" I would say "we talk about pretty much everything pop culture" because I think that is pretty accurate. Popular culture changes every second and that lets us change and evolve with the times. It also doesn't limit us to one thing. Even if it isn't popular when we discuss it maybe we can help make it popular if we like it?

I just "spoke" with Shanon Molina, Hippies United Globally Political Action Commitee (HUGPAC), about being back on the podcast. She is all for it. She has a lot of great things going on in the political world and with the 2012 Presidential Election coming up and the Republican Vice Presidential candidate having her arrested and knowing her by name I know she has a lot on her mind. I know am not very knowledgeable in the political arena but Cha Cha knows her stuff and I always learn something from Shanon and Cosmic Scotty. We would like to have someone from the Republican side of things on the show, not at the same time as Shanon, so if you or someone you know are interested please let me know. 

Wow, I rambled-on and it feels like most of this blog was a commercial for the podcast. Sorry about that if it is. I always say I blog about what's on my mind and today it seems like I am excited about the one track that my mind chose today. I love doing the podcast mainly because I get to meet a lot of great people and see things that I wouldn't ordinarily get to meet/ do without it. Maybe we should start our own podcasting network? Not quite yet.

Thanks for stopping by and for letting me prattle-on. I really appreciate you stopping in. Have a great day and enjoy the rain in the MIDDLEwest today (I know I am). TTTT...MITM (out) I just looked for a song to add here and The World Famous Crawlspace Brothers have a song called "Cha Cha Heels" - I cannot wait to play their music on the show LOL!

1 comment:

  1. we really got to talk about my and my company names..lol Great blog my friend. *Cheers

    WILLY Adkins - Spook Show Entertainment

    ReplyDelete